Cheap Road Bikes

grumpy rooster

Likes Dirt
After drooling at some of the bikes in the Sexyest Roadie thread this question is a bit of a step backwards, but hey, you have to start somewhere. :p

I'm looking at the low end of the roadie scale like Avanti Giro, Giant OCR3, LeMond Etape etc. I've been looking around and for a second hand 06 or 07 they are about $600-$700. Thats what my budget is. I can't afford to go and spend $2k on a bike (as much as I would like to) but I do want to get a roadie to do some kms. I know at this price point they are all Sora drivetrain or maybe a smatering of Tiagra (on the Etape). Yes 105 would be good but you just don't get it at this price.

So, which is going to be best for a fisrt roadie. The Avanti Giro, the Giant OCR3 or the LeMond Etape. Or, should I be looking at something completely different? :confused:

Please help....

nick

Likes Dirt
Im no expert on roadies mate but I can say dont limit to yourself to 3 brands or even such a recent model. I have a cervelo which i got out of the trading post for $900 about 2years ago when it was about two years old. full 105 carbon forks and seatpost. Really great to ride im still stoked with the price i got it for. My advice is look around see what looks like a good deal in your price range and im sure after a bit of searching you'll find one you love. Good luck.

...jim

skanky media ho
Yeah, I'd not quite call anything with 105 unobtanium just yet...you might be able to pick up a bargain in your price bracket. Road bikes aren't quite as scary as mtbs in the second hand market - just keep an eye open for obvious wear, crash damage (though personally I'd think twice about a 2nd hand cf frame)

n plus one

Likes Bikes and Dirt
If you keep your eyes open you'll probably get a decent 105 equioed bike for that kind of dough - what size are you after?

Lanky Love

Likes Dirt
Im no expert on roadies mate but I can say dont limit to yourself to 3 brands or even such a recent model. I have a cervelo which i got out of the trading post for $900 about 2years ago when it was about two years old. full 105 carbon forks and seatpost. Really great to ride im still stoked with the price i got it for. My advice is look around see what looks like a good deal in your price range and im sure after a bit of searching you'll find one you love. Good luck.
yeah hes right^^^. my brother bought a 10 year old specialized allez with full 105 for like $600, ive taken it for a ride and its beautiful. with road bikes they dont take as much as a beating like mountain bikes do so you should consider buying and oldie but a goodie.

dain2772

Likes Bikes and Dirt
If you are going second hand - and it isn't a bad way to go - make sure you don't compromise on the right sizing. a little bit off can be rectified by stem/seating adjustments, but properly bad sizing will be felt a lot more on the roadie.

have fun though, they are good stuff

grumpy rooster

Likes Dirt
I had considerd an older bike but got a bit hesitant about going for someting older. I guess even a year old bike could be stuffed if it hasn't been looked after.

n plus one, I'm 170cm so I guess I'd be about a 50?

tu plang

knob
yeah hes right^^^. my brother bought a 10 year old specialized allez with full 105 for like $600, ive taken it for a ride and its beautiful. with road bikes they dont take as much as a beating like mountain bikes do so you should consider buying and oldie but a goodie.
hmmm.... i dono about that as a general statement. have you priced up a 105 chain, cassette and chainring set lately? if you buy a bike thats had 10000km put on it with no love you'll have to find out the hard way - it'd be a nasty surprise.

we occasionally carry second hand road bikes at work. generally those of customers who have upgraded etc. its very much a luck of the draw thing to find a roadie in your size, in good condition, in your budget but keeping an eye out at your local shops is probably the safest way to buy.

tmarsh

Likes Dirt
n plus one, I'm 170cm so I guess I'd be about a 50?
I'm about 171cms and ride 54 cms (centre to centre) top and seat-tube frames. If your torso to leg ratio is different to mine (which it could well be), then you could be bigger or smaller. If you're buying secondhand, concentrate on getting something with the right top-tube length. Seat-tube length is almost inconsequential. Top tube length is far more crucial.

n plus one

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Yep, my fiance is 172cm and rides a 54cm centre to centre top tube frame so I'd say either that or a 53. Like tmarsh said - size your frame by the top tube, not the seat tube.

triples

Likes Dirt
Mate,
Try hang off a little longer. Wait and see what the 2008 models are going to be priced at. A lot of the new models will be out within the next few months. If it's anything like the last few years you will get bang for your buck.

And don't jump into second hand bikes too quickly. If you find a second hand bike my best advise would be to take it to your LBS for an inspection before purchase, most shops won't charge you and it could save you big dollars!

good luck

Lanky Love

Likes Dirt
hmmm.... i dono about that as a general statement. have you priced up a 105 chain, cassette and chainring set lately? if you buy a bike thats had 10000km put on it with no love you'll have to find out the hard way - it'd be a nasty surprise.

you could be right but it seams to be in good condition and hes been riding it for about 3 months now with out any problems. but, what im trying to say is dont feel you need to by the newest second hand bike, perhaps buy somthing a few years older.