Cheap Shimano

G

Hey i dont know how true this is but...

"It has been mentioned before that you can buy high end Shimano components cheaper by buying a complete Learsport bike and stripping it.

What hasn't been mentioned is that you can buy individual components from Learsport at below RRP. The catch is, that apparently only their Melbourne headquarters has a full range of components in stock. The other Learsport outlets only have odd bits and pieces in stock at any one time, but they're worth enquiring with anyway.

On Friday I went to the Learsport outlet at Lidcombe (Sydney) and bought a Deore rear mech for $79 (the only one in stock) and an Alivio crankset for my sister's bike for $59 (again the only one in stock). I was going to buy an Acera crankset for my sister's bike, because they're the cheapest set with removable chaninrings available, but they had none in stock in Sydney. They did tell me that they sell them for $40, which is just over half the usual recomended retail price (about $75). Melbourne bicycle centre sells them for $65.

Anyway, if you need some new Shimano components, give Learsport a try because they might have what you're after in stock at a price below anyone else's. Most of what they have is the lower end stuff, but if you live in Melbourne they should also have Deore, LX, XT, and XTR components in stock. The other outlets can order components in from Melbourne for you, but as that isn't their main business they might not be very prompt about getting them in for you."

taken of www.26inches.com

Tankass

Likes Dirt
i think what is actually happening is just the difference in OEM and after market products.shimano has their own line of aftermarket bike components.so do they have the OEM supplies to cater to bike companies.wat many bikes shops i have seen doin are,they ordered in varies shipments of bikes,and stripping the components off.and selling them individually,thus managed to sell the components and earing more out of the overall.and some bike shops who "might" be the distributors of certain bike companies,might even placed orders for OEM Shimano/RS/MARZ/manitou/Sram etc components directly from the bike company.so the bike company actually earns bit and it benefits the bike shop too.usually these oem products doesnt comes with box like the aftermarket items.i might not be correct.this is onli from wat i have come across some bike shops doin so.cheers

SausaGe_LiNk

Likes Dirt
Fuzzy said:
Hey i dont know how true this is but...

"It has been mentioned before that you can buy high end Shimano components cheaper by buying a complete Learsport bike and stripping it.

What hasn't been mentioned is that you can buy individual components from Learsport at below RRP. The catch is, that apparently only their Melbourne headquarters has a full range of components in stock. The other Learsport outlets only have odd bits and pieces in stock at any one time, but they're worth enquiring with anyway.

On Friday I went to the Learsport outlet at Lidcombe (Sydney) and bought a Deore rear mech for $79 (the only one in stock) and an Alivio crankset for my sister's bike for $59 (again the only one in stock). I was going to buy an Acera crankset for my sister's bike, because they're the cheapest set with removable chaninrings available, but they had none in stock in Sydney. They did tell me that they sell them for $40, which is just over half the usual recomended retail price (about $75). Melbourne bicycle centre sells them for $65.

Anyway, if you need some new Shimano components, give Learsport a try because they might have what you're after in stock at a price below anyone else's. Most of what they have is the lower end stuff, but if you live in Melbourne they should also have Deore, LX, XT, and XTR components in stock. The other outlets can order components in from Melbourne for you, but as that isn't their main business they might not be very prompt about getting them in for you."

taken of www.26inches.com
What about the deore hydro's ??
Im in Melbourne, so i will have a look in the yella pages to see what i can find.

Rik

logged out
Since shimano aus is part of shimano global, hopefully there'll be some asskicking... we can only dream that learsport will be forced to run sunrace and falcon, hopefully shimano will crack the shits and cut off their oem supplies :lol: