Cheap shoes for Flats

DMan

shawly the least hangeriest guy on rotorburn
I was reading it thinking how they'd completely destroy your shins and there at the bottom....
Shinburger pedals

The shinburger bodies are CNC machined from a single chunk of 7075 T6 aluminum. Each side has 33 taper reinforced traction teeth. The outer teeth are slightly taller than the center ones, allowing shoes to really sink in, providing the most grip of any pedal available. They have a parallelogram shaped profile for quick remounting, and of course, will open a bottle faster than you can say Brooklyn Brown Ale.

Material: 7075 T6 aluminum

Axles: 4130 case hardened steel.

Bearings: High quality sealed cartridge units.

Weight: 844g per pair.

Shinburgers fit three piece cranks only (9/16")

Note: we strongly suggest the use of shinguards with these pedals as they have the ability to go through your shin like a cheese grater.

Colour :

Only a 900g per pair too...!! Awesome

Ivan

Eats Squid
I went from those Teva Links from Pushys ($50 on sale) and recently got some Fiveten freeriders. No comparison, Fiveten>Tevas for grip

i got mine from Evans, $100, plus postage, or grab a few extra things and get free postage when you spend of $155 i think.

Limited colours but they should have a Eu43

https://www.evanscycles.com/en-au/five-ten-freerider-shoe-EV205111

https://www.evanscycles.com/en-au/five-ten-freerider-shoe-EV245451

thats a good price. Cheers mate. Spitfires are $83+p there too.

I have also found some very cheap skate shoes on ebay.

Last edited:

Boom King

downloaded a pic of moorey's bruised arse
thats a good price. Cheers mate. Spitfires are $83+p there too.

I have also found some very cheap skate shoes on ebay.
With all due respect to those happy with skate shoes, the stealth rubber on Five Tens is in a totally different league. Do yourself a favour Ivan and buy some Five Tens.

stirk

Burner
I went from those Teva Links from Pushys ($50 on sale) and recently got some Fiveten freeriders. No comparison, Fiveten>Tevas for grip

i got mine from Evans, $100, plus postage, or grab a few extra things and get free postage when you spend of $155 i think.

Limited colours but they should have a Eu43

https://www.evanscycles.com/en-au/five-ten-freerider-shoe-EV205111

https://www.evanscycles.com/en-au/five-ten-freerider-shoe-EV245451
I bought those Teva links and think the rubber is old and hard as they are slippery as my shins can attest. I love my Teva cranks though but sadly I can't find any from reputable shops.

With all due respect to those happy with skate shoes, the stealth rubber on Five Tens is in a totally different league. Do yourself a favour Ivan and buy some Five Tens.
This is very true and skate shoes have little support and protection compared to Five Tens. The Impacts are like tanks on your feet.

stinky1138

Likes Dirt
This is very true and skate shoes have little support and protection compared to Five Tens. The Impacts are like tanks on your feet.
You're not buying the right skate shoes then. Skate shoes frequently have little in the way of an insole as many skaters use an aftermarket one, they are better as no stock insole will fit any 2 feet the same way. There is no comparison between hucking a huge stair set and landing on a skateboard with just your legs vs hucking a huge drop and landing with suspension, soft tires, and your entire body. Given that after an ollie the rest of skating involves using your feet to move the board in various directions, the idea that skate shoes don't offer protection is ridiculous. Five-tens are massively over rated as a bike shoe, they offer no pedal feel or give (which is actually a problem if you're too light to bend the sole into shape on a pedal) and they are fucking chunky lead weights. I've have slipped more pedals with my 5.10s than any other shoe on any pedal ever, which have caused the most serious injuries i've ever had.

Flow-Rider

Burner
There are two problems I have found with FiveTens. It's hard to readjust your foot at the last moment without lifting it off the pedal and second is that the tread is so soft it doesn't last long enough if you ride a few times a week. I like the shoes but I don't like paying over $200 for a couple of months usage.

Last edited:

racerm

Squid
I wear a pair of Salomon Hiking shoes as they are super lightweight, and given I end up walking up a few inclines during my rides - they provide really good grip and stability.

My son has bigfeetitus and rides around in his old running shoes that are too small with the big toe hanging out, not good at all, but he is only 14 so I guess his feets will continue to grow ? so I gotta find a shoe that is cheap but provide some protection and grip for riding.

ChrisJC

Likes Bikes and Dirt
You could do what my Mrs did earlier this week. Forgot her five tens and the only thing she had in the car was a pair of $2 thongs. I said she couldn't ride in thongs but what would I know! A few drops, some technical downhill and twisty xc trails were no match for the rubber thongs and nukeproof electrons!

P.s. Just to clarify: I'm talking thongs for feet... not the other type of rubber thong! :)

Buntley

Likes Dirt
Five Tens are great, why not buy the Five Ten Free riders size 43 in the Apparel fs section, for $50 can't go wrong!

Spike-X

Grumpy Old Sarah
You could do what my Mrs did earlier this week. Forgot her five tens and the only thing she had in the car was a pair of $2 thongs. I said she couldn't ride in thongs but what would I know! A few drops, some technical downhill and twisty xc trails were no match for the rubber thongs and nukeproof electrons!

P.s. Just to clarify: I'm talking thongs for feet... not the other type of rubber thong! :)
I don't think they'd make that type out of rubber. It would get far too sweaty.