Cheapest meals

floody

Wheel size expert
And if anyone has any suggestions what I can do in my current situation: $5.98 a quarter of a block of cheese, and half an onion. It would be much appreciated
One scotch fillet from a cheap butcher, pack of hamburger rolls from the supermarket, combine with the other ingredients to taste. Lettuce wouldn't hurt...

Tomas

my mum says im cool
If you get really poor, gelatine is where its at. It must be good, Nicole Ritchie eats it.

Not the flavoured shit either, 1kg packet of gelatine runs for under 5$ and'll have you slurping for hours.

nizai

Likes Dirt
If you want healthy, unlike some of the suggestions above. Try a rice and vege medley. I use brown rice, some spring onions, snow peas, frozen beans, a fried egg (chopped up fried rice style), sprinkled with some sandwich ham or chicken thats been finely sliced. Mix 'er up.

Add some Soy Sauce to give it some flavour and scoff it down. Addictive in its own simple way.

And because it doesnt use any expensive meat cuts you can do the whole meal for under $5.

N

donthucktoflat

Eats Squid
Mi Goreng noodles.. cook 2 packs (buy them in lots of 5.. some asian supermarkets sell them by the box (i think 25pcks per box))

add: 2 eggs per 2 packs, coriander, and tomato. soo tasty and cheap as chips.

for other ideas see HERE

'Ross

Eats Squid
Cheap/easy/convenient/tasty meal:

Go to safeway or Coles (whichever is closest) via bike:cool:.

Buy some Chicken Kebabs that already have sauce on them, I think the choices are Satay, Plum, Spicy, something else? They are $1 or $1.10 each, get a few.

Buy some Mi Goreng at the same establishment, I think they are like 50c a packet or less if you buy in bulk. And there you go, cook the kebabs in a griller or on the BBQ or whatever takes your fancy.

sockman

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Spaghetti Bolognaise or Chilli Con-Carne.

Both can be 'batch' cooked. This is good because you can cook large amounts at one meaning they can be re-heated and eaten days afterwads:D
Also pretty good for freezing and re-heating when desired.

Mi-Goreng noodles are pretty awesome too. So quick, half the price of 2 minute noodles and taste about 100x better.

Jaffels are easily the best way to utilise anything you can find in your fridge. Jaffels make way for awesome meals which can be eaten as a snack and are filling enough to be eaten for tea.

FTW!!!!! You have amazing taste in beeing a cheap arse....

Joy

Likes Dirt
chuck some bread in the toaster. put a nice layer of butter on the toast.

there's this Masterfoods spice mix called "Garlic and Herb Mix". Sprinkle that on there and you have awesome garlic bread.

saved me so many times

CensoredDH

Likes Bikes
This won't help the original poster's cause at all, but back when I was living on the Gold Coast, my local tavern had an epic tuesday deal. For $2 you would get a schooner of Tooheys New, and then for reward for buying said beer, they would give you a free softshell taco. So for $4 I would go home well fed and light headed (2 has me half way to a big night). Ahhhh, the memories.

if you wake up early enough go to the local supermarkets loading dock earlier that 6 and get yourself a tray of bread for free

Giantrider

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Buy olive oil, garlic, chili and pasta (not sure that'll stay under the 5.98, but it should go close)
Cook pasta
Fry onionsin lots of oil till soft, add garlic and chilli, and fry till garlic softens.

Stir drained pasta through the frypan , grate cheese over the top and eat.

Cheapest, decent tasting meal I know of without resorting to IndoMie noodles!
go pay your parents a visit, and say 'hey mum and dad, haven't seen you in ages, do you want to catch up over dinner every night this week.' i'm use they'll love you enough to say yes :p

or another good one is, have a dinner party and say 'i'll provide the hospitality as long as you provide the food.' i'm sure your friends wont mind

Last edited:

TheFlash28

Cannon Fodder
If you want a cheap meal, just donate some blood to the bloodbank, you get green cordial they make some awesome pikelets...ALL FOR FREE (free meaning you dont take into account the 500mL of blood they take from ya:p).