Cheapish new or 2nd Hand?

Capt.Gumby

Likes Dirt
Hi All

New the MTB riding and the old 'Kmart Klunker' is rapidly falling apart and due to a limited budget was interested in the opinions of others. Have about $1000 to $1500 for either a new cheap dual or should I look at 2nd hand at that price? Would love to spend more and get a decent new but at this stage is not really possible. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

chris95

Likes Dirt
go second hand you will get a much better bike for the price and 1500 should get you a decent dully. try looking in the for sale section

jet-ski

Squid
If you're going from a K-mart bike, maybe you could go for a really good hardtail instead of a duallie. You can probably get a lot of new hardtails for under $1500.... if you don't know much about bikes it might be good to go for something new, and start up a wonderful relationship with your lbs.

Hi All

New the MTB riding and the old 'Kmart Klunker' is rapidly falling apart and due to a limited budget was interested in the opinions of others. Have about $1000 to $1500 for either a new cheap dual or should I look at 2nd hand at that price? Would love to spend more and get a decent new but at this stage is not really possible. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

itspoisontime

Likes Bikes
I would reccomend second hand, you can get really good value for under $1500 if you know what your looking for (or take a mate who knows his stuff), and if you find that your not interested after all or want to upgrade in the near future you won't lose as much money as you would on a brand new bike.

DirtJumperHarry

Likes Dirt
Hey man,
I'm in the same position as you at the moment (but with less money!) I've been looking around on the web and in the trading section of the site and you can definitely really good bikes for 1500. You can get bikes that would usually be worth 3000 (new) for 1-2 grand. Hope this helped and happy riding:D!

Capt.Gumby

Likes Dirt
Ended up with a great deal on a brand new superseded Kona Coiler (2007) and couldn't be happier.

Maybe this could be an option for others who a new to MTB and on a limited budget and would like to buy new. It certainly doesn't hurt to asked your lbs if the have any superseded models available for the brands they sell.

Cheers

sinnie

Squid
2nd hand

I would suggest 2nd hand. I did the same when I was starting
and you do get more for your dollar. And if you don't like it...no big deal lol

scant

Cannon Fodder
can anyone else suggest other places to look for cheap 2nd hand bikes? websites, links, shops suggestions all appreciated!
I live in the UK but visit warriewood n.beaches of sydney for a few weeks every year. in the past i've brought my own bike with me from the UK, but with 2 children & the long haul flight its proving too much of a hassle.
I'd be more than happy with some early to late 90s fully rigid bike as I dont have endless hours to go riding when I'm there.. but cant go without riding a bike for 2 whole weeks when I normally ride every day. I used to work as a bike mechanic, so I dont mind if it needs a small amount of attention.

ZENNON

Squid
can anyone else suggest other places to look for cheap 2nd hand bikes? websites, links, shops suggestions all appreciated
+1

I'm in Bris and wanna see it before I buy. (Budget is around $800)

edit:
something kinda like this
http://tbsm.com.au/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=7_15_21&products_id=2773
or this
http://tbsm.com.au/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=7_15_21&products_id=247
(but prefer 2nd hand - so its either a little cheaper, or a little better)

Last edited:

scoobydid

Likes Dirt
can anyone else suggest other places to look for cheap 2nd hand bikes? websites, links, shops suggestions all appreciated!
RB Trading section, eBay, Trading Post, Cash Converters (do they still exist?), pawn shops usually have a bike or two sitting out the front of their stores, check the local papers for garage sales, deceased estate auctions etc.

SamS2

Cannon Fodder
i'm looking for my 1st MTB too, and a sales person from one shop actually sugested i buy second hand! he said its way better value for money. Just confirms all the other posts, and throwing in my 2c.

scotty thommo

Likes Dirt
im looking at buying a bike at the moment
and im thinking that second hand is better value
as they can be $3000 and are selling for $1500
so i would get a second hand bike as i am in the process of doing now.

hunge

Cannon Fodder
I would recommend on getting a new bike from your local bike shop. If you get it from your local, they will look after you. A bike shop will give you a free service after 10 to 20hrs of riding. Also they might even do a good deal on accessories, you wont get that from a 2nd hand bike. Getting a 2nd hand bike could give you problems. You might have to replace a few things and it will end up costing you more then you paid for.