Cheeseburger

nimrodx

Likes Dirt
Hi All,

In my role as trail development officer I just wanted to ask for Toowoomba area
mtb'ers assistance with something fairly important.

We are currently negotiating with council to make Cheeseburger a legal trail, protect its character
and maybe even make it longer. But in a way that makes it acceptable to
council, and meets their requirements.

While we engage in this process, it is important that mountain bikers -- members or not --
refrain from further trail building at this site. Maybe get involved with the other legal building efforts.

The key here is that Cheesburger is currently an illegal trail. If we want to get council on side
we need to be doing the right thing.

We understand your enthusiasm, and look forward to your contributions if we can be
successful in these negotiations!

Kind regards

Matt

Broken Bones89

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I know this may sound strange but why, if it's an illegal track, is there a picket sign at the start of it with a picture of a pushbike on it?

Broken Bones89

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Maybe, it's been there all that last two years that I've been riding there. It will be good if the council does legalize it and it gets signs erected at the bottom. A couple of times I've come screaming down and almost taken out walkers climbing their way up.

Double Cheeseburger

I had a look down Yellow Box trail today to see about possibilities for extending cheeseburger. I didn't have a GPS, so the details in the pics are a semi-educated guess.
Screen Shot 2012-07-25 at 8.33.39 PM.jpgScreen Shot 2012-07-25 at 8.39.24 PM.jpg
The faint red line in the pic at the top is cheeseburger as Matt mapped it the other day, the yellow line is more or less the section of Yellow box trail that runs along the ridge line. The blue line is a continuation of the trail that runs in a knee deep channel down the ridge. The Google DEM does not have enough accuracy to show it, but there is a second small hill just beyond the end of the blue line which is very steep most of the way round, particularly on the (eastern) side, which is shaded red.

The area in the white circle is mostly 'potentially' useable, but a lot of it would be very hard work. Actually getting past the final hill could be difficult- very rocky & steep mid slope, and into permanently wet soils if you run down to the creek line.

One option would be to get from the existing first half of cheeseburger, build good speed down the fire trail and across the top of the yellow box trail and work along the northern face of the hill.

EDIT: Hmmm. Not sure what the gig is with the tiny pictures....

Last edited:

Mckee

Squid
I'm all for this idea and think it is about time for it to be legalised. I do have a query though. Is it possible to link it up with a road/bridle/fire trail etc. for shuttles? because that is going to be one hell of a push up.