Chics in BMX (aka. Powderpuffs, BMX babes,etc)

tracywhittaker

Likes Bikes
Let's see if we can find some more girl racers on here!
Hey Girls,

Have been riding BMX for the last six months (slowly getting better at it), and looking to start racing soon.
My riding back ground was mainly DH and xc. I clearly wan't busy enough racing those two series so I'm taking up another style of riding!

I'm in Melbourne, so ride a lot of the local tracks around town. Have a few favourites but each one has something challenging on them.

I ride/train four-five nights per week either at the gym or on a bike. Hopefully I start to see some improvements soon.

My bike is an Intense Factory Pro (complete with scratches!).

I'm not really one for female specific gear. I'm pretty tall, so anything that fits is an added bonus.

Trace

hach_bee

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Hey Girls,

Have been riding BMX for the last six months (slowly getting better at it), and looking to start racing soon.
My riding back ground was mainly DH and xc. I clearly wan't busy enough racing those two series so I'm taking up another style of riding!
Trace
Hi Tracy! Welcome to start with and great to see some more ladies getting into it! Those DH and XC skills should help (knowing how to stay loose) how do you find racing compares to the other two??
Man I feel so lazy compared to the other girls here I'm lucky to get the chance to train once a week!

Norco Maniac

Is back!
Man I feel so lazy compared to the other girls here I'm lucky to get the chance to train once a week!
terrible when work gets in the way of your sport!!

hey there tracywhittaker - looking forward to hearing more from you!

well i've lost one of my training partners so i'm struggling with motivation at the moment. the man in my life was my best friend, lover and training partner, the person i could bounce ideas off and who actually got me back into riding. with that all over, i don't know whether i'll be doing my sunday sessions any more as i don't have someone else to ride with that day.

just didn't have the heart for racing last night, and we actually had a women's gate - three teenage girls on 20" and me. one is a former champ, one a motocross rider, and both i managed to pull moves on in the corners but i'd say the moto chicky is going to get away from me next week, she's a lot tougher than me. still, even tho i'm feeling really gutted, i managed a couple of damn good races.

he and i are tying up the loose ends tomorrow, so i'll have to find a way to get my BMX head back on before Wednesday's training.

Last edited:

hach_bee

Likes Bikes and Dirt
just didn't have the heart for racing last night, and we actually had a women's gate - three teenage girls on 20" and me. one is a former champ, one a motocross rider, and both i managed to pull moves on in the corners but i'd say the moto chicky is going to get away from me next week, she's a lot tougher than me. still, even tho i'm feeling really gutted, i managed a couple of damn good races.
I gotta say, that's the thing I loved about bmx (prepare for rant). Back when I was racing I had a whole heap of family issues going on at the time, but bmx was my constant. And no matter what bullshit is in your life, the minute that gate drops, nothing else exists except you and that race or that lap. That's the real freedom I found in racing, and I think that's why after 4 years I'm still coming back. Pretty sure it's ingrained in my soul. (end rant.)

But great to hear you had a women's gate, fantastic!

tracywhittaker

Likes Bikes
Hi Tracy! Welcome to start with and great to see some more ladies getting into it! Those DH and XC skills should help (knowing how to stay loose) how do you find racing compares to the other two??
Hey hach_bee,
Both types of racing are hard work, both mentally and physically. I'm working on my jumping and hill climbing skills at the moment (the two things that really let me down in a race).
The BMX track seemed like the best place to start. Jumps and plenty of straights. :D

hach_bee

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Woo Wheels are in!!! check out the pimpness :) (double posted on the BMX racing thread too) Check out the axles, no QR! But, super, super light! 1.5 kilo both both! Apologies for the HUGE AWESOME photos, felt like little ones didn't do them justice!

Last edited:

Norco Maniac

Is back!
got a couple of big weekends planned - nothing like throwing yourself into sport to help heal a heartbreak. this weekend is racing at home on Friday night, Grafton Sunday afternoon to help me prepare for the Jacaranda Open at the end of next month. next weekend will see me and my BMX trainer in Tamworth for a couple of days of tooling around on that track, he's doing State Titles on the long weekend, i missed out because i came back to racing too late in the season. but still, be good to break my normal routine and ride a couple of Sundays where i don't have reminders of my training time with my ex. this last week/10 days has been a bit of a writeoff, only managed 13 laps on Wednesday. got to get my head back into my sport, not going to let this mess with my goals.

hach_bee

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Best of luck with the upcoming racing hun, good idea to throw yourself into it (like my rant up the page!) Use that angry energy and smash it :) you'll be back on track no worries!

Norco Maniac

Is back!
nearly smashed myself last night lol. pulled a big move in the second corner, over the doubles cutting in front of the motocross chicky who's just started racing with us, started to pull a big pedal in the gap to the next stepup while still leaning left, and unclipped my left foot, went forward off the pedal, right foot's come round and swung me and my bike face first into the dirt. spectacular crash. :cool: absolutely spectacular.

of course i got straight back up and finished my race, and raced two more to finish the night. wasn't going to let on how much it hurt...and apparently i'm a legend now among the older riders and the parents who tried and wimped out. i'm the second oldest rider in the club, at 46.

go glad i wear elbow protection, but damn my left shoulder is sore today...

hach_bee

Likes Bikes and Dirt
OUCH! but good on ya, getting back up again haha and legend you are! :) R.I.C.E for that shoulder hey

Norco Maniac

Is back!
gotta get back up, can't show the men you're hurt. i had a fall at the gate - just unbalanced, nothing serious - and they fricking fussed over me. all i hurt was my pride...the major stack, even then it was my pride more.

got my new 175's on today, and new pedals, will see how i go tomorrow at Grafton. the start hill there is a bitch, so steep your back wheel wants to leave the ground when you're balanced at the gate...

hach_bee

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Haha Grafton hey? Check out ASHMORE's start hill also, its stupid steep at the gate, possibly at 35 degree angle! If your legs are straight on the gate, you actually go straight over the top

Norco Maniac

Is back!
nice greasy track in spitting rain today, skidding down the start hill at Grafton. NOT happy, wtf have they done to my favourite track??? it's awful!!!! *insert wail here* it's lumpy, has no rythmn, and the corners suck majorly.....

on the upside, my new cranks and pedals felt really good!

Attachments

Norco Maniac

Is back!
lol the Norco jersey is one of the nicest i've seen so far. and the pants fit almost like women's cut, they're much shorter in the crutch than my Answer Edge pants. very happy with how light and breathe-able they are too. another upside is, i bought the size smaller than i was wearing, and they fit now....so the training is doing me good :D

i'm going to go talk to the local t-shirt designer about a plain black cotton long-sleeve shirt for racing, i don't like synthetics at all. i'll get them to put my name on the back and maybe some scrollwork or roses in white down the front. i love some of the men's Unit shirts but they don't have what i want in long sleeve, dammit!

hach_bee

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Fabric wise cotton's an interesting choice... Breathable,natural- tick. tick. Tear resistant, not smelly (not saying you are!), dries fast? Nope, no and no. Synthetics definately have their upsides, though some don't breathe as well. However, you're generally only wearing it on track and taking if off when you're done, I'm assuming? If so, get a cool undershirt in natural fabrics (I love the Icebreaker merino active range, I know wool sounds hot but do some research it's incredible- and also bamboo fabrics)?

Norco Maniac

Is back!
i normally wear a singlet top underneath and rip off my jersey between races. and no wire bras either, learnt that one the first time i cracked ribs racing. i love love love bamboo fabric! cotton is kinder to the skin here in the MNC tho. been checking out cafepress.com for BMX t-shirts :D

hach_bee

Likes Bikes and Dirt
If you like bamboo, DEFS try the Icebreakers, they're just...amazing. Though a little more expensive.

BIKE UPGRADES COMPLETE thus far! Pics soon to come!

hach_bee

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Feast your eyes guys and girls! It's soon to be complete but here's the upgrades in full color haha. I'll even throw in one of the old spec too (below)

Current Spec now:

Frame - 2009 Kuwahara Nova Pro XL (eventual upgrade to Supercross Envy Pro XL)
Fork - Generic Chromos (soon to be upgraded to maybe Sickles?)
Handlebars - S&M Slam (soon to be upgraded to T3's)
Stem - Generic alloy (thinking possibly Thomson)
Headset - Chris King NoThreadSet
Grips - Fluid rep!
Saddle - BBB
Seatpost -Generic alloy (soon to also be Thomson)
Rear brake - Shimano DX-R
Cranks - Shimano XT
Chain - Shimano XT
Pedals - Shimano XT
Front hub - Answer Alumilite Ti
Rear hub - Answer Alumilite Ti
Front rim - Answer Alumilite Ti
Rear rim - Answer Alumilite Ti
Spokes -SS
Nipples - Sexy ano blue!
Tyres - Maxxis DTH 1.75 front, 1.5 rear
Tubes - Tioga
Total weight - Your guess is as good as mine? Estimate at 9 something currently. The goal is around 8.5

And the older spec:

Total credit to Burrito for the rebuild, many thanks