Chix Ride - Sydney area

Shrekmeister

Likes Dirt
thanks Fi, hopefully will get my partner Karyn to come to a couple of your chix rides...

she's only been on a mountain bike four times, however is loving it big time.... :D:D:cool::cool:

Fi

Chocolate Foot
thanks Fi, hopefully will get my partner Karyn to come to a couple of your chix rides...

she's only been on a mountain bike four times, however is loving it big time.... :D:D:cool::cool:
Good to hear! Would be great to have her along, and we'll probably be finishing up with a coffee at Belaroma if you or other partners want to join us afterwards.

laura_spark

Likes Dirt
Hey Fi,

I would love to join you but it depends on transport. I am selling my car and someone is coming to have a look tonight.

If it doesn't sell by the weekend then you can count me in for sure. I'll keep you posted.

Cheers,
Laura

laura_spark

Likes Dirt
Lift????

Well, my car is sold :D so I am now looking for transport:(.

Are there any girls heading to this ride from Western Sydney that would be able to help out?

Happy to contribute petrol money and will even throw in a coffee (or stronger, depends on your preference I suppose) after the ride.

craign

Likes Dirt
These rides are a great idea! Though I'm having trouble working out how to get my partner interested in going on one of these rides. She's a bit shy about riding in groups. Suggestions?

Edit: Why did I quote Andy?... (Removed quote)

laura_spark

Likes Dirt
These rides are a great idea! Though I'm having trouble working out how to get my partner interested in going on one of these rides. She's a bit shy about riding in groups. Suggestions?
Hey Craig,

I too get a little shy about riding in groups, particularly if they are comprised of strangers. Start off with small groups of 2 or 3 and build up from there.

Try also to set up a ride day with your friends and get her to tag along. I don't know what her level of riding ability is but by building confidence in riding itself you will find that she won't find it so bad when it comes to joining up with a group ride.

About this ride, I can only say that Fi is one of the best ride leaders I have ever had the pleasure of riding with. Her patience and understanding is just what is needed.

Hope this helps, but probably nothing more than you have already considered.

Cheers,
Laura

Fi

Chocolate Foot
Chix Ride - 10 May

Hey Chix, Manly Warringah are running another chix ride this weekend - see this thread for more info!

Cheers

Hi Fi, Karyn here (bellbutterface). Shrekmeister said I might join you one day

Well, would love to join some chix riding groups but I don't even think I have a ability to do that. I've ridden 5 times on the mtb & probably been on a bike 30 times in my life. I do give it a go, but don't want to be a burden to people without the time or the patience.

Want to improve at the rate of knox, but need coaching. Do you know where I can get it? Happy to pay.... I suppose, I compare this to me learning to ski. Got better and better and better with lessons and happy to put in the hours

My partner, as much as he wants to get out there with me, is not the instructing type. He wants to help but it all comes too naturally for him so doesn't know what to tell me.

Have you got any advice for me? :rolleyes:

Fi

Chocolate Foot
Want to improve at the rate of knox, but need coaching. Do you know where I can get it? Happy to pay.... I suppose, I compare this to me learning to ski. Got better and better and better with lessons and happy to put in the hours

My partner, as much as he wants to get out there with me, is not the instructing type. He wants to help but it all comes too naturally for him so doesn't know what to tell me.

Have you got any advice for me? :rolleyes:
Hey Karyn

There are clinics (chix only, if you prefer) run by AMBC in the Sydney area, which would be a great way to learn the basics. Like skiing, it's all about first learning how to do things the right way, and then practice ... you won't become an amazing rider overnight but if you have been shown the correct techniques then you can build on getting them right. AMBC also do private tuition if that's what you'd prefer. And yes, I'm one of the trainers for AMBC :D Anyway, if you're keen, you can find out more info at www.ambc.com.au.

Regarding the chix rides, we intend to include rides for the less experienced in the programme, which will be conducted on a not-too-technical ride, of relatively short distance (~15km) at a nice relaxed pace, with coffee & cake afterwards. Sound good? Hopefully you will join us on one of these rides :)

Riding with non-competitive, relaxed riding buddies, who allow me time to re-do a section or try something new without feeling pressured or embarrassed if I stuff up, is probably what has helped me most in my riding too.

Developing a reasonable level of fitness obviously helps too - if your lungs and legs aren't giving you grief you can then concentrate more on technique.

Hope this helps!

Cheers

Fi

Thanks Fi,

Had a look at the AMBC site & that is just the stuff I need, however, the 1st course isn't currently scheduled any time soon. Might see about a private for the 1st one. Thanks again.

Hi All,

Had my private lesson with Robyn from ambc on the weekend. She was fab & took a lot of time with me. We went over and over the same things a number of times; which is just what I needed.

I started the 3 hours freaking out about having the do new things like a tiny down hill but ended up 100% more confident, a heap more knowledge and absolutely exhausted. I now have a fantastic base for lots and lots of practice.

Ciao,
Karyn

Fi

Chocolate Foot
Great to hear it, Karyn!

There is another MWMTB club chix only ride coming up on 14 June, check out the Calendar on the site for more info, hope to see you and other chix there!

Cheers

Fi

Hi Fi,

Have registered for the Chix ride. However, with the weather like it is, do the rides get called off if the weather is poor or if the tracks are too wet?

Ciao,
Karyn:confused:

Fi

Chocolate Foot
Hi Karyn

Should the ride be called off, the entry on the Calendar will be updated to reflect this on Friday evening.

The forecast isn't too bad but you'd probably be wise to bring a rain jacket just in case!

Cheers

Fi

Shrekmeister

Likes Dirt
big thanks to Susan and Fi for having this chicks ride today....

(no i wasnt part of the group, dropped my partner off then did my own ride...)

Karyn had a ball, and enjoyed every moment of it....her confidence has gone through the roof from doing this ride today and the course two weeks ago....and improving rapidly...

the ride was a great way for a begineer to feel welcome with like minded chick's and have a great morning...

Anyone keen to ride Manly Dam this weekend?

Hi girls, First time doing this but seems like a good way to hook up with some more riders. All my riding buddies have now moved. Keen to find a fun group who can ride on the weekends around the Sydney area. Is anyone on for a ride this Sunday 6th july?
Cheers, Alex

Fi

Chocolate Foot
MWMTB Chix Only Ride 12 July

Hey all

The next MWMTB chix only ride is on 12 July, check out the Club Calendar for info. Should the ride be cancelled for any reason, the Calendar entry will be updated accordingly.

Hope to see you there!

Cheers

Fi

Chix ride manly dam on Sat 12th

Hi Fi,
Definitely will see you there. Hopefully the girls aren't going to mind waiting for me to catch up. I love Manly dam but i must say i walk quite a few of those drops...sounds like fun though!

Seems as though it is a 7am start, the time at the top of the listing about the ride says 6am but I assume this is just a typo? If it's 6am I won't be there!

Cheers, Alex