Choice of Hubs

Im about to build up new wheels for my Demo 8 and just need some help. I have run Mavics 721 on the Specialized hubs getting on a couple years now. Im going to buy the Mavic 721 again as they are reliable and strong as hell. on to the hubs. Hubs are the one part that really I have not that much experience or knowledge on. I mean my old hubs have been fine with no troubles which is great, but I would like to know some of your opinions on the best DH hubs around. Any help would be much appriciated.

3viltoast3r

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Basically for the best hubs go for Hope Pro II's, or Hadley hubs are nice....

For a budget hub, Sun Ringles will do...

TheRidingDr.

Likes Bikes
I would recomend dabomb head spins for a budget
If you don't have a budget i would recomend Chris Kings
Or for a not to chaep not to expensive hub get a set of DT swiss

Welshy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Well, the way i see it you have two choices:

You can maintain a stiff rear end, and limit your hub choices.

Or

You can open yourself up to QR hubs, and your choices are endless.

Demos run a 135x10 rear end, which means if you would like to keep the bolt up rear end you need to stick with either the stock Specialized hubs, Hope Pro II bolt up, or Dabomb Headspin boltup.

However, keeping with the stiff rear end theme, you do have another choice. you can buy a 135x12 rear hub, and then get yourself a 10-12mm conversion kit which includes the axle, and the bolts which simply bolt into it like they would a normal 135x10 bolt up hub.

Ignoring all of this, you can get yourself a quick release hub, and save yourself any hastle with extra parts. The downside to this is ofcourse the noticable decrease in stiffness throughout the rear end. (Probably not all that bad thanks to the Demos' madly stiff rear end.)

Choices, choices, choices.

Have fun!

dhDRucer

Likes Dirt
Id suggest hope pro 2 as they are reasonabley cheap, light and strong.COme in all colours as well.Lots of people have them and they are wonderful to say the least.

I own dtswiss 440 and have not had a problem with them yet after 6 months.i also suggest them

dilzy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Hope pro 2's or M810 Saint hubs. Don't sacrifice the 10mm through axle, it's not worth it.

Personally, I've got a specialized demo wheelset and the hubs are fine. What's wrong with your's? Hubs are a lot of dosh for no performace enhancement if your's are reliable.

garfield84

NSWMTB
Unfortunetelyt, Garfeild, we cannot afford the best.
Hope Pro II's are easily the best. Work so well, really light, keeps the weight down, still being super strong. Saint hubs are good.
Tom.
tom are you forgetting i replaced my destroyed deemax with a dabomb wheel set.... can't speak highly enough of the dabomb wheel set and the hubs.... although i do love my kings on the other bikes :D

Hope pro 2's or M810 Saint hubs. Don't sacrifice the 10mm through axle, it's not worth it.

Personally, I've got a specialized demo wheelset and the hubs are fine. What's wrong with your's? Hubs are a lot of dosh for no performace enhancement if your's are reliable.
I'm getting a better idea now, thanks. It's just that hubs are one of those parts where it is quite hard to really test ride a number of them. With parts such as forks you can really narrow your choices down and try a few out. My current ones are good and as I have always said that until something really needs replacing why do it? On the other hand Im interested in the other higher end products.
Thanks guys