Choice of new bike....

mickeytg

Likes Dirt
I've been back riding now for over 12 months. I currently ride a Giant XTC 29er 2 http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-au/bikes/model/xtc.29er.2/12067/57355/ and am finding it great as a fitness bike for easy to intermediate trails. I'm looking to upgrade to a dual suspension bike with a budget of between 3 to 4 grand. I'm an intermediate rider, certainly don't go quick for strava sake but enjoy a ride to hit new technical trails and to have fun. I'm currently looking at the following bikes... What do you guys think? Any thoughts?

Trek Fuel EX9 29er
Trek Fuel EX9.7 29er
Trek Remedy 8 27.5

Any other brands that are similar to this?

SuchisLife

Likes Dirt
The current crop of giant trance also fit the bill, there is a plethora of choices out there for the trail/all mountain bike that are in your price range, almost every brand has one.

teK--

Eats Squid
Why not go another Giant? Big bang for buck you might be able to get an Anthem Advanced (carbon) for that much particularly if you can score a demo day discount.

mickeytg

Likes Dirt
Why not go another Giant? Big bang for buck you might be able to get an Anthem Advanced (carbon) for that much particularly if you can score a demo day discount.
I really dont think I'm a massive MTBer for a carbon bike (skill etc) but I'll keep looking. New to Melbourne so bike shops that offer big discounts I'm still searching for.

MTB Pilot

Likes Dirt
I've bought a Giant Advanced Anthem 27.5 1 about three weeks ago. Absolutely love it! Raced it twice in that time. Did the Willo last week and over 25 kms, improved my time by a little over 19 minutes. I had a Giant XTC 26" before that. The Giant Advanced Anthem 27.5 1 retail for $4299 but I got mine for $3700. It's an awesome bike for the money. It's my first time with carbon and first time with FS. At 49, I can't see myself going back to a HT.

In the end it's whatever you feel best on, but I love my Giant Advanced Anthem 27.5 1

XYGTHO

Likes Dirt
Yes big range to choose from in that price range. Giant range is great, I really like the look of the trek Remedy! I own a 2013 29er Trance X0 and its great. Good for everything but then also not fantastic at anything except general trail riding. Im thinking of going for something like a reign or remedy style and then getting a hardtail for XC. Could get yourself something like the 27.5 trance or remedy and keep your XTC and upgrade for XC? I want to find a XTC 29 frame.

mickeytg

Likes Dirt
I've bought a Giant Advanced Anthem 27.5 1 about three weeks ago. Absolutely love it! Raced it twice in that time. Did the Willo last week and over 25 kms, improved my time by a little over 19 minutes. I had a Giant XTC 26" before that. The Giant Advanced Anthem 27.5 1 retail for $4299 but I got mine for $3700. It's an awesome bike for the money. It's my first time with carbon and first time with FS. At 49, I can't see myself going back to a HT.

In the end it's whatever you feel best on, but I love my Giant Advanced Anthem 27.5 1
Nice work!! Will check them out.

swaz

Likes Bikes and Dirt
If you are not mechanically minded or own all the tools to do your own repairs I suggest going to each bike shop close to you and talking to them and judging them based on sales and service.

I got a good deal on my bike. Sadly the shop is 30 mins each way from my place and I took my bike in there to get it's first service and they only thing they did was tighten some spokes. The indicator on my SLX levers didn't get fixed, the gears weren't looked at and the two missing cable ties from the brake line weren't picked up and left unfixed. Yet I took it to a very small shop 2 mins from where I work and got a brake bleed done in a few hours. Went to pick it up and he had taken a look over it and noticed a few other things that needed tweaking and just did them. Everything for $25!

Be wary of large shops who have people working in them who can not make a decision without checking with the boss first. They tend to over promise and renig a LOT!

If you are just an average rider then you are really just picking from what gets you the most for your money. All the brands have sales things like G2 geometry, Maestro suspension, 29" wheels, 27.5" wheels to make you THINK they are better but in reality the rider is the biggest variable

Last edited:

Rabble bukes

Likes Dirt
Probably best to ride both a fuel and a remedy to see which you like better. If yo already have a hardtail 29er then you might like the increased travel and slacker geometry of the remedy. The fuel is a good bike though, especially the ex9. Comes with full xt groupset, reverb stealth dropper, fox kashima forks, there's nothin you would need to upgrade.

drivebytrucker

Likes Dirt
FTR have the santa cruz solo/5010 for $4000, wont be much more for a Bronson, if not cheaper if you scour the net. the new kona process line has got rave reviews too and the mid travel one will be right in your budget.

Rabble bukes

Likes Dirt
Yeah but its not anywhere near the component set of a trek or giant. On a trek for that price you'd get full xt, reverb dropper, fox fit kashima fork, decent bontrager parts. On a giant probably even better. Santa Cruz make nice frames, but they are not decent value, compared to giant or trek.

Jaredp

Likes Dirt
Giant trance or Stumpjumper sfr evo bit more cash than the trance. But either way you won't have to own a Trek.

:)

wjeffsy

Squid
Probably best to ride both a fuel and a remedy to see which you like better. If yo already have a hardtail 29er then you might like the increased travel and slacker geometry of the remedy. The fuel is a good bike though, especially the ex9. Comes with full xt groupset, reverb stealth dropper, fox kashima forks, there's nothin you would need to upgrade.
I agree. Best to test before you buy.

richie_gt

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I've been back riding now for over 12 months. I currently ride a Giant XTC 29er 2 http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-au/bikes/model/xtc.29er.2/12067/57355/ and am finding it great as a fitness bike for easy to intermediate trails. I'm looking to upgrade to a dual suspension bike with a budget of between 3 to 4 grand. I'm an intermediate rider, certainly don't go quick for strava sake but enjoy a ride to hit new technical trails and to have fun. I'm currently looking at the following bikes... What do you guys think? Any thoughts?

Trek Fuel EX9 29er
Trek Fuel EX9.7 29er
Trek Remedy 8 27.5

Any other brands that are similar to this?
I recently got a Trek Remedy 8 27.5 as I wanted an 'All Mountain' bike. I have not been disappointed as it's handled everything I've ridden so far with ease. I've found the Fox CTD suspension is great, heaps of adjustability with the flick of a switch! The one negative is the triple ring setup, a bit goofy but I'll soon be going 1 x 10. I'm going to add a dropper post too, basically my upgrades will be complete as I can't fault the rest of the package. Feel free to ask me any questions!

mickeytg

Likes Dirt
I recently got a Trek Remedy 8 27.5 as I wanted an 'All Mountain' bike. I have not been disappointed as it's handled everything I've ridden so far with ease. I've found the Fox CTD suspension is great, heaps of adjustability with the flick of a switch! The one negative is the triple ring setup, a bit goofy but I'll soon be going 1 x 10. I'm going to add a dropper post too, basically my upgrades will be complete as I can't fault the rest of the package. Feel free to ask me any questions!
Thanks. I'll be in touch.