Christmas 2023: The Good, The Bad, The Ugly, the WTF?!?!? & the Schadenfreude.... Show us what you got...

Cardy George

Piercing rural members since 1981
The last few days have had a shadow over them as my Wife's Sister's Mother-in-law was in palliative care for the final countdown.

Final Child is still a believer in the Fat Man (not me), we have our suspicions but he's a canny child and a sack full is a sack full. After that had been pillaged we received the news Old Dear had indeed gone to Jesus. Of all the days. So for the rest of eternity Christmas Day will be also known as the day Grandma passed.

Lunch at Mrs George's Aunty's was nice though. Good food, good people. Cousin Anthony now has a 2013 Ford Focus ST with an import 2.5(?) litre and a turbo literally made at Boeing. He says it needs a few dyno runs to tune it but should be good for 250ish hp. Cousin Chris was the usual pain though. He has to add his part to Every. Single. Fucking. Sentence. and for some reason I'm the one he needs to impress the most. And the more I tried to ignore him, the more he addressed his idiotic comments directly to me. Ugh.

Dinner was good though. We ended up at aforementioned Sister-in-law's and while they were understandably still quite upset, I think we were the welcome distraction. BBQ dinner, novelty antlers and bubble mix all helped perk up a weird old day.

Minlak

custom titis
The last few days have had a shadow over them as my Wife's Sister's Mother-in-law was in palliative care for the final countdown.

Final Child is still a believer in the Fat Man (not me), we have our suspicions but he's a canny child and a sack full is a sack full. After that had been pillaged we received the news Old Dear had indeed gone to Jesus. Of all the days. So for the rest of eternity Christmas Day will be also known as the day Grandma passed.

Lunch at Mrs George's Aunty's was nice though. Good food, good people. Cousin Anthony now has a 2013 Ford Focus ST with an import 2.5(?) litre and a turbo literally made at Boeing. He says it needs a few dyno runs to tune it but should be good for 250ish hp. Cousin Chris was the usual pain though. He has to add his part to Every. Single. Fucking. Sentence. and for some reason I'm the one he needs to impress the most. And the more I tried to ignore him, the more he addressed his idiotic comments directly to me. Ugh.

Dinner was good though. We ended up at aforementioned Sister-in-law's and while they were understandably still quite upset, I think we were the welcome distraction. BBQ dinner, novelty antlers and bubble mix all helped perk up a weird old day.
Need more emoji for this post the right one doesn’t exist - sorry for your loss - but glad you still had a family day of it

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member

Not sure how your extended family will react with the timing. For us a day is a day but my middle sister associates with any little thing she can. Mum died on a day that was one of sister's students birthdays. She proclaimed I will only ever think of her birthday now as the day mum died. WTF? Kid didn't even know my mother and wouldn't remember if told and sister normally forgets shit the minute it happens but now these are linked forever. The list is endless because there are only 365 days usually and millions died, are born, get their first root, etc.

5 pot was sold here as the xr5. Easy 400hp on tap but they eat motor mounts. I have made a few for fellow street sprinters. Quite a decent thing but a bit lard arsey.

Cardy George

Not sure how your extended family will react with the timing. For us a day is a day but my middle sister associates with any little thing she can. Mum died on a day that was one of sister's students birthdays. She proclaimed I will only ever think of her birthday now as the day mum died. WTF? Kid didn't even know my mother and wouldn't remember if told and sister normally forgets shit the minute it happens but now these are linked forever. The list is endless because there are only 365 days usually and millions died, are born, get their first root, etc.
We didn't have much to do with them, and even less once we moved away, but knowing Sister-in-law we're unlikely to ever forget the new significance of the day.
5 pot was sold here as the xr5. Easy 400hp on tap but they eat motor mounts. I have made a few for fellow street sprinters. Quite a decent thing but a bit lard arsey.
You made me do my research. The 2013 US import four-banger that is in it now is good for 250, he's expecting much more. He has a Old Landcruiser, and had a XR8 before this but wanted something "just to drive to work in". The guy he bought it off was building it for his wife before they divorced. Apparently he had to choose what to keep between the ST or the "collectable" XR8 he also has.

After writing all that I didn’t put what I got for Xmas, got the usual couple of Bunnings gift cards which never go astray, some clothes you know socks, jocks etc, new alarm clock but what really peaked my interest was these white blank goggles my mrs got me. I’ve spoken on here about some of my health issues and I get bad headaches, migraines, sore eyes etc on top of the other crap, so she decided to get some massage goggles that are rechargeable and when turned on they have different settings on it. It will massage your eyes and forehead as well use heat and air to help relieve the pain as well as play soothing music to you relax or you can Bluetooth your own music.
I recommend the Cold Chisel

Ultra Lord

Hurts. Requires Money. And is nerdy.
Seems to be the year for palliative care chrissies. My Grandmother passed a fortnight ago, funeral last week. A few other mates have family members either in palliative or just departed. My sympathies to any others who lost someone.

I still had a fucken awesome Chrissy though. Super chilled with my immediate family (no big extended lunch hosted by mum for the first time ever! Fuck yeah EAD junky cousins I don’t have to pretend to like you anymore). A really nice lunch followed by our annual LOTR viewing.

Girlfriend got me tickets to NOFX’s final tour at the horden. They were the first band I ever saw live, on the tour they did with Bad Religion. I was 15 and they played the Horden Pavilion, should be an awesome night.

Also got gifted cash to put towards a a new moto helmet, walked in expecting to spend $600ish on an alpinestar lid and walked out with a Shoei VFX-WR. Bloody boxing day sales, the price was too good to pass up. Wearing it is like a god caressing your noggin, I can’t go back to el cheapo Oneals ever again.

Cardy George

Seems to be the year for palliative care chrissies. My Grandmother passed a fortnight ago, funeral last week. A few other mates have family members either in palliative or just departed. My sympathies to any others who lost someone.

I still had a fucken awesome Chrissy though. Super chilled with my immediate family (no big extended lunch hosted by mum for the first time ever! Fuck yeah EAD junky cousins I don’t have to pretend to like you anymore). A really nice lunch followed by our annual LOTR viewing.

Girlfriend got me tickets to NOFX’s final tour at the horden. They were the first band I ever saw live, on the tour they did with Bad Religion. I was 15 and they played the Horden Pavilion, should be an awesome night.

Also got gifted cash to put towards a a new moto helmet, walked in expecting to spend $600ish on an alpinestar lid and walked out with a Shoei VFX-WR. Bloody boxing day sales, the price was too good to pass up. Wearing it is like a god caressing your noggin, I can’t go back to el cheapo Oneals ever again.
Girlfriend, you say? What's her stance on dropper posts?

Mattyp

Cows go boing
Money well spent, you only get 1 head*... What's it worth to you? I used to cringe when I'd see people buying $80rrp moto helmets....

*Tassie folk are the exception but they probably don't wear helmets anyway.

Ultra Lord

Hurts. Requires Money. And is nerdy.
Money well spent, you only get 1 head*... What's it worth to you? I used to cringe when I'd see people buying $80rrp moto helmets....

*Tassie folk are the exception but they probably don't wear helmets anyway.
It’s a fair chunk of change to get a helmet like this Shoei compared to a $300 Oneal. It did it’s job. Hot and uncomfortable after a couple of hours, but it’s been dented badly in my last crash and I’m no more brain damaged than before so I guess they’re ok.

The $80 ones are pretty gnarly though hahahaha.

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
We stopped doing presents in my family years ago, and for my nieces when they were 18 (they're now 20 & 23), so now when we get together it's just for a good old feast, and a relatively small affair compared to some families, keeping it all pretty much immediate. We all chip in with various bits & pieces, and we've pretty much settled on who does what, so about the only planning is a few messages to various branches regarding the time to convene. Ends up being a pretty casual affair, which spills over to Boxing Day where we graze on leftovers & watch the start of the Sydney-Hobart race.

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
I got a surprise pair of new Emu uggies.

The 'current' ones, which are identical are 12yrs old and still have another 12 in them in my opinion but someone though my complaints about no uggs when we went to the shack meant I needed a pair to leave there.

I'm attached to my worn ones, do I take the newies up there or my old faithfuls :rolleyes:

jhgfdfhjffg.jpg

Last edited:

Minlak

custom titis

I have a “Shoei Head” doesn’t matter what helmet I try as soon as I put on a Shoei I’m at home. The only other one I have found that fits almost as well is my Krios Pro - I got a $250 AMX voucher for Chrissy so will parley that into a $1400 helmet when the missus isn’t paying attention :)