Chromag Scarab and other large pedals

HamboCairns

Thanks for all the bananas
Hey all,

I just put on a pair of Nukeproof Sam Hill Horizon pedals and I feel that they're a little undersized.

Has anyone tried Chromag Scarabs or indeed any larger platform pedal? I paid $110 for the Nukeproof ones but I'd be happy to pay a bit more for a bigger set of quality pedals.

wkkie

It's Not Easy Being Green
The OneUp composites are a decent size. I'm running size 12 shoes and they've been the best fit platform size so far that I've used.

Good value as well and have lasted many hits and much rough treatment from myself.

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
Chromag Dagga are the best I've encountered. Only bought a pair recently, but liked them so much I've already ordered another pair. I don't feel like I'm standing on the outside edge of the pedal anymore. I've had DMR V12's, Pedaling Innovations Catalyst (V1), and Blackspire Sub-Fours previously. The Blackspire grip well but are tiny if you've got large feet, V12s were good when new, but the grub screws get damaged more easily than bolt-through pins and lose grip quickly, Catalysts are good length wise but still feel narrowish so I still felt like I was standing on the outside edge.

kten

understands stuff moorey doesn't
Deity Tmac's. Best flat pedal I've ever used and a big platform. Ive used Hope F20, OneUp, Nukeproof and DMR Vault and the TMacs are better imo.
I reckon the Chromag Dagga, will give a more glued to the pedals feeling but the Tmac's grip and support my feet to such an extent the pedals never get my attention at any time during a ride. This is the biggest compliment I can give a part.

HamboCairns

Chromag Dagga are the best I've encountered.
They look really nice but they're $269... I just realised how much the Scarabs are now too!

I went for for the Sam Hills because they look so good and they review well. Plus my composite Nukeproofs are still going years later. But now I'm pushing a bit harder on the Ragley, I can feel the limitations already because of the size of my feet.

So that's new pedals and handlebar...

HamboCairns

Looking at stock levels in Australia at the moment is an eye opener! Does anyone have stock of anything right now?

Pedals, handlebars etc all out of stock..

Jpez

Down on the left!
Chromag Dagga are the best I've encountered. Only bought a pair recently, but liked them so much I've already ordered another pair. I don't feel like I'm standing on the outside edge of the pedal anymore. I've had DMR V12's, Pedaling Innovations Catalyst (V1), and Blackspire Sub-Fours previously. The Blackspire grip well but are tiny if you've got large feet, V12s were good when new, but the grub screws get damaged more easily than bolt-through pins and lose grip quickly, Catalysts are good length wise but still feel narrowish so I still felt like I was standing on the outside edge.
I’m seriously thinking of these. In shiny polished silver. Where are you getting them?

beeb

They look really nice but they're $269... I just realised how much the Scarabs are now too!
Yeah, price is through the roof at the moment. Totally understand your reservation, it took a bit to stomach ordering the second pair...

I’m seriously thinking of these. In shiny polished silver. Where are you getting them?
One set out of TBE when they had stock at an already eye-watering $225, and the second set from ForTheRiders for a rectum-tearing $269.

Prices are wild, but it would've been pretty much the same price as ordering direct off Chromag's website, just without having to wait for overseas shipping. I wouldn't normally buy at those prices - but with stock disappearing and manufacturing lead-times seemingly not keeping up I thought I'd get a second set while I could.

We're probably overdue a meet-up anyway, so you're welcome to check them out once we can roam a little further!

fatboyonabike

Captain oblivious
I think @Dozer did review on some larger platforms a while back..I will see if i can find a link
rotorburn.com/forums/index.php?threads/pedaling-innovations-catalyst-flat-pedal.314242/

Jpez

Down on the left!
Yeah, price is through the roof at the moment. Totally understand your reservation, it took a bit to stomach ordering the second pair...

One set out of TBE when they had stock at an already eye-watering $225, and the second set from ForTheRiders for a rectum-tearing $269.

Prices are wild, but it would've been pretty much the same price as ordering direct off Chromag's website, just without having to wait for overseas shipping. I wouldn't normally buy at those prices - but with stock disappearing and manufacturing lead-times seemingly not keeping up I thought I'd get a second set while I could.

We're probably overdue a meet-up anyway, so you're welcome to check them out once we can roam a little further!
Definitely overdue for a catch-up! Hopefully @wkkie has stopped faffing about by then and has bought his Taniwa and we can play on that too!
Price is big money but I’m a Chromag fan boy and as we all know fanbois are happy to pay stupid money for items others would baulk at. But for me they are the most important contact point so happy to pay $$ for the right pedal.

Ive been quite disappointed in my Crank Bro’s stamp 7’s. Platform size is good but they are so flat I just can’t get happy on them.
Got some HT and some Fire eyes too which have nice concave but lack platform.

beeb

Definitely overdue for a catch-up! Hopefully @wkkie has stopped faffing about by then and has bought his Taniwa and we can play on that too!
Price is big money but I’m a Chromag fan boy and as we all know fanbois are happy to pay stupid money for items others would baulk at. But for me they are the most important contact point so happy to pay $$ for the right pedal.

Ive been quite disappointed in my Crank Bro’s stamp 7’s. Platform size is good but they are so flat I just can’t get happy on them.
Got some HT and some Fire eyes too which have nice concave but lack platform.
I reckon you'd like the Dagga. The amount of grip is crazy, and while they feel flat overall it's not a bad/slippery feeling flat - more large and stable with the pins setup per standard, or you can remove the inboard/middle pins and get a distinctly concave feel. I ended up removing the inboard pin, and swapping in a non-threaded point pin from the Blackspire pedals in the middle position to keep a flatter overall feel but make it a bit easier to extract my shoes off the pedal!

But by all means, catch-up A.S.A.P and you can try for yourself!

HamboCairns

I really like the Chromag and Deity pedals but I think they're a bit beyond me right now. Is there a composite equivalent of those two?

brawlo

Squid
Size 13US hoof here. I started off on flats with VP Harriers. They’ve been recalled in the US but no action here. I grabbed a set of large CB Stamp 1s while waiting for a set of Stamp 7s to arrive. I’m still using the 1s and am pleasantly surprised by them. There’s many stories of the CB axles snapping under heavy guys and abuse and I am worried to the point I kept looking. A big 6’8” guy I pay attention to on the MTBR forums goes through heaps of stuff and breaks many things. He has given the TAG T1s a huge wrap and I ordered a set from Wiggle today

wkkie

It's Not Easy Being Green
Sounds like a plan! I'll be in for that. It won't be a Taniwha though, looking like a Katipo at this stage, but it's 6-8 weeks off... :(