DH Chumba F5 Build - Nearly done

Bung80

Squid
As I sit around waiting for a titanium upgrade to my finger and for my wrist on the other hand to heal from a couple of fractures I thought I may as well do something other than read all the other build threads, while still avoiding study.

My current and pretty much 1st DH bike (I owned a Giant Faith for about a week before selling it to my brother because I ended up getting the F5 I was originally chasing), is this one:

It has and continues to serve me well, but I decided a bit of a change was in order so I found a brand new blue frame at a good price so decided to avert my attentions, and a bit of income towards it.

So far I am trying to keep some resemblance of a budget, hence the older style W/Cs and the bars are pretty much place holders till I get some wide bars which should suit my tall stature a little better. Need to trim steerer as well before putting it all together properly too, so don't hassle me about the lower race not being seated :D.

Below is the spec list I'm looking at, but if you guys can see any glaringly obvious bad parts then let me know.

Spec List:
Frame: Chumba F5
Fork: 09 Boxxer WC
Shock: Custom Vivid 5.1 with Ti spring
Brakes and Rotors: Shimano Saint with white Goodridge hoses (to order)
Headset: Chris King
Stem: Funn Direct Mount
Bar: Nuke Proof Warhead 760 (to order)
Grips: Yeti
Shifter and Derailleur: Shimano Saint (to order) with white gore cables
Seat Clamp: Chumba
Seat: Thomson Elite
Saddle: SDG Ti-Fly
Cranks: Saint (to order)
BB: Saint (to order)
Pedals: Straitline or Octane One Static
Wheelset: Deemax on rear and Deemax ultimate on front (silver on rear, yellow up front)
Tyres: TBA
Bash guard and Guide: Gamut

The reason for the different wheels is that the frame came with the rear wheel and I got a good deal on the front, only problem is making the colour scheme work.

But yeah, that's it for now. Will put up more pics as parts arrive and I am able to put it together.

Last edited:

RMS116

Likes Dirt
Thats pretty sweet. You have a solid spec list that your building up with, i was going to get a chumba at one stage. Whats the custom vivid, is it tuned or something

Bung80

Squid
Custom vivid is a blackbox vivid made specifically for an f5, apparently it's got a shorter stroke length to lower the BB height and make the geometry better for racing. Seeing as though I'm still a dh rookie I need all the help I can get to get an extra couple of seconds off my times.

Hopefully shouldnt be too far off getting parts, need to get them before girlfriend gets back from her trip so I can hide the invoices :)

Bung80

Squid
Actually resmbling a bike now. Still waiting on Deemax wheelset and the vivid to arrive, but I stole the DHX off my other chumba and chucked on a spare wheelset to see how it all looks.

adman

Likes Dirt
What ti spring is that? I'm trying to find one for my frame but most seem out of stock.

Nice build though! Looks good!