Chunt of the year.

Ben-e

Captain Critter!

Mattyp

Cows go boing
Some of the comments, too :(
The unfortunate part is it will probably take something like an AFL player out on his roadie getting collected by a car before people start giving a fuck.... the general mentality to cyclists here is pathetic.. even from MTB'rs.
It would actually make a great awareness campaign, have a bunch of football players out on roadbikes saying "Hey! I ride road, don't be a dick"

rockmoose

his flabber is totally gastered
The unfortunate part is it will probably take something like an AFL player out on his roadie getting collected by a car before people start giving a fuck.... the general mentality to cyclists here is pathetic.. even from MTB'rs.
It would actually make a great awareness campaign, have a bunch of football players out on roadbikes saying "Hey! I ride road, don't be a dick"
Heaps of the footy elite would be on board, too. Lots of them love their roadie action.

I think it would be the AFL themselves, that would kibosh the idea. They would be loath to promote another sporting activity. Chunts.

Labcanary

One potato, two potato, click
So much this. Backed up by research:

Given that in the last 2 days I've nearly been skittled twice with my kid on my bike with me, I'd love to see a safety campaign to highlight we are people with lives and loved ones. Instead the media (and social media) perpetuates the animosity towards cyclists.

I've seen far more chunts in vehicles blast through red lights than I have cyclists. How about a campaign for "just don't be a chunt"?

This one is great for the anti-cyclist brigade:
1000011295.png

And lastly:
1000011296.jpg

Scotty T

Walks the walk
Had a tourist from country area near Yorkshire here recently, mates mrs sisters brother, mate him and me e-biked from my place in Weston Creek to Bentspoke and he was blown away by barely touching a road to go the other side of the city. It makes a huge difference having the option for everyone but serious roadies who need to do mountain miles and such. He's over 60 and a roadie, he also noted the number of roadies not going slow around the lake circuit and commented he'd love something like that for riding back home. Still plenty of cyclist hate and ignorance here though sadly.

bear the bear

Is a real bear
Had a tourist from country area near Yorkshire here recently, mates mrs sisters brother, mate him and me e-biked from my place in Weston Creek to Bentspoke and he was blown away by barely touching a road to go the other side of the city. It makes a huge difference having the option for everyone but serious roadies who need to do mountain miles and such. He's over 60 and a roadie, he also noted the number of roadies not going slow around the lake circuit and commented he'd love something like that for riding back home. Still plenty of cyclist hate and ignorance here though sadly.
To be fair, we don't have it bad here. In the past 17 years, I think I have had less than 5 run-ins with drivers.

Minlak

custom titis
Arrests made

The great news is they will be charged with car offences and have their licences suspended so they can’t do this again - sigh

How come no charge of attempted murder? It was pre meditated and planned and then celebrated and they gave no fucks

Can’t wait for the court case where the poor troubled things have been let down by society and need our understanding and empathy not punishment that will ruin their whole lives

You don’t have to dig too far down to find very distressing and disturbing things being perpetrated and posted online.

Last edited:

cammas

Seamstress
To be fair, we don't have it bad here. In the past 17 years, I think I have had less than 5 run-ins with drivers.
I don’t know about that, not sure where you are but here in Victoria it’s been horrendous for me. From people driving the opposite way veer over to my side to try and scare or hit me, to people driving as close as they can get without hitting me, abuse even when I have the right of way, fark even motos having a crack at me on the road and in the gravel, don’t get me started on twin cabs & 4x4’s :rolleyes:

I ride 99% of the time with front and rear lights on usually in high vis, fark I even brought fluro yellow jerseys and ridden with my vest on plus I’m usually not in lycra, as I wear baggies. It doesn’t matter what bike I’m on either MTB, roadie or my gravel bike (like they would know the difference).

Mike Hall for those who follow the endurance scene was quoted as saying “I’ve ridden all over the world and the only place I feel unsafe is Australia “ in the end he was killed here on his bike. Even the police didn’t take his case too seriously with his riding gear going missing and then saying he was wearing black but the video footage of him leaving one of previous towns had him with his lights and hi vis on. His mother came over for the court case and she still had it in her heart to forgive the man who killed her son, as she said he has to live with this for the rest of his life.

For me if I can ride a bike path to get somewhere and it’s longer than the road, I will still take the bike path. I try as much as possible to avoid the roads, when this happened last week, a guy rang up the radio saying he just switched to riding for exercise from running and is abused each time he rides here in Melbourne.

Like @Mattyp & @rockmoose have said it will take a footy head sports ball player either injured or promoting it for some people’s opinions to change. My Mountain bike shop actually had some of Carltons players out on the roadies years ago but nothing was ever said, use to bring me joy to tell some of the Carlton supporters at work this.

Ben-e

Captain Critter!
I ride 99% of the time with front and rear lights on usually in high vis, fark I even brought fluro yellow jerseys and ridden with my vest on plus I’m usually not in lycra, as I wear baggies. It doesn’t matter what bike I’m on either MTB, roadie or my gravel bike (like they would know the difference).
I didn't agree with that survey; I mean asking a bunch of people who subconsciously hate cyclists, why they hate them.. flawed from the start. IMHO, wearing high vis, lights etc is safer; cars tend to give them more space, ive noticed.

What is not safe is looking like a roadie, because: (IMHO) we can attribute much of the road-rage to arrogant entitled Dutton-voting city-dwelling roadies (not all roadies, don't cancel me!). I briefly (500m) rode with a roadie not three weeks ago and he: went through two STOP signs, cut off two cars and swore at a driver. I actually needed to stop and say to a driver, "we're not all like that". I've seen this level of entitlement heaps here in Sydney; greater Manly-Warringah area (might just be all the chunts in Sydney? haha).

Ultimately, we can't expect motorists to play nice when cyclists aren't.

However, i do fully agree that in Australia motorists rage towards cyclists is a cultural issue (almost pathological!).

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
Helmets and vests aren't the answer, the answer is proper infrastructure where cities are built for people, not cars.
We need a massive attitude change, starting with the courts and working down. So many times traffic incidents are palmed off as "accidents" That's bullshit; collisions are the result of deliberate actions from impatience or inattention to the surroundings, and just sometimes outright malice.

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
I didn't agree with that survey; I mean asking a bunch of people who subconsciously hate cyclists, why they hate them.. flawed from the start. IMHO, wearing high vis, lights etc is safer; cars tend to give them more space, ive noticed.

What is not safe is looking like a roadie, because: (IMHO) we can attribute much of the road-rage to arrogant entitled Dutton-voting city-dwelling roadies (not all roadies, don't cancel me!). I briefly (500m) rode with a roadie not three weeks ago and he: went through two STOP signs, cut off two cars and swore at a driver. I actually needed to stop and say to a driver, "we're not all like that". I've seen this level of entitlement heaps here in Sydney; greater Manly-Warringah area (might just be all the chunts in Sydney? haha).

Ultimately, we can't expect motorists to play nice when cyclists aren't.

However, i do fully agree that in Australia motorists rage towards cyclists is a cultural issue (almost pathological!).
That bloke you briefly rode with probably drives like that - or probably worse - too. It's not the vehicle, it's the person that is the problem.

jrewing

Eats Squid
I don’t know about that, not sure where you are but here in Victoria it’s been horrendous for me. From people driving the opposite way veer over to my side to try and scare or hit me, to people driving as close as they can get without hitting me, abuse even when I have the right of way, fark even motos having a crack at me on the road and in the gravel, don’t get me started on twin cabs & 4x4’s :rolleyes:

Mike Hall for those who follow the endurance scene was quoted as saying “I’ve ridden all over the world and the only place I feel unsafe is Australia “ in the end he was killed here on his bike. Even the police didn’t take his case too seriously with his riding gear going missing and then saying he was wearing black but the video footage of him leaving one of previous towns had him with his lights and hi vis on. His mother came over for the court case and she still had it in her heart to forgive the man who killed her son, as she said he has to live with this for the rest of his life.

For me if I can ride a bike path to get somewhere and it’s longer than the road, I will still take the bike path. I try as much as possible to avoid the roads, when this happened last week, a guy rang up the radio saying he just switched to riding for exercise from running and is abused each time he rides here in Melbourne.

Like @Mattyp & @rockmoose have said it will take a footy head sports ball player either injured or promoting it for some people’s opinions to change. My Mountain bike shop actually had some of Carltons players out on the roadies years ago but nothing was ever said, use to bring me joy to tell some of the Carlton supporters at work this.
Feeling unsafe in only Aus..Nicky Hayden i guess felt safe until he wasnt? Numerous Motorcyclists have had incidents in Europe on their roadies. Too quote its just Aus is bullshit.
Roadies are brave… i wouldnt put my life in the hands of the majority of Humans. Worldwide

Jpez

Down on the left!
I’ve actually found a way to stay safe riding on the roads.
If you wear work boots and tradie gear while riding people seem to assume you’re on the pushy because you lost your license from drink driving and feel sorry for you (I’m assuming here as I’ve never asked them but my scienceing has proven it) and are suddenly all courteous and friendly.
I’m not even kidding.

Jpez

Down on the left!
Feeling unsafe in only Aus..Nicky Hayden i guess felt safe until he wasnt? Numerous Motorcyclists have had incidents in Europe on their roadies. Too quote its just Aus is bullshit.
Roadies are brave… i wouldnt put my life in the hands of the majority of Humans. Worldwide
I’ve ridding in France and Italy. There is no comparison. People are cunts everywhere yes. But we are making a national sport of it.

cammas

Seamstress
I know it’s just not Australia I’ve seen shit from all over the world, these two thought they would walk because it was only cyclists.

But the problem it’s ingrained into our society and don’t think this forum is free from of it, I’ve seen the comments on other incidents (granted not as bad this) “it’s only a roadie” comments still come out. Like it or not we are known for it.
The other big argument is “pay your rego” because according to everyone who hates cyclists that’s the only thing pays for our roads:rolleyes: