Claiming GST back on purchase of a Bike when leaving Oz

dukemasterpro

Likes Dirt
Bit of a grave dig via Google finding this one but wondering since 2010 how many people have claimed the TRS refund on a bike or parts of a bike $300 and then not paid anything when they correctly declare you are re-entering with the items you claimed for? I've read on other forums that your record is flagged if you claim as its the same department responsible for refunding and collecting, i.e. if I claim its a no brainer to declare of course.
Question is 1) do they check 2) what do you pay back if when they check -is it just the GST value minus allowance ( 2 adults, 1 child $2250 ) and depreciation@20% ( for frame, forks, rear shock ) OR are they charging the 5% duty and the 10%?
Before doing it want to see if it's worthwhile based on any recent RBer's experiences??

PINT of Stella. mate!

Many, many Scotches
Done it heaps of times, usually with electronics - it's alway easier if you're taking them in hand-carry but it's not impossible to check your goods in providing you have proof they're in the bag (I think for a PS3 one time, I carried the controller and paperwork but a photo of the bike bag at check-in would do it)

Never had a problem inbound but if you're still worried, leave any original packaging behind. Any vintage My Little Pony collector will tell you that they're worth f*** all without the original unopened box and that goes for most things...

Just make sure you've got plenty of time before your departure as they won't serve you if it's too close to boarding.

Also, download the TRS app and fill all the details beforehand. Lets you skip to the front of the queue and you're in and out in minutes...

Robb

Likes Dirt
I claimed a DSLR for around 1800 on the GST tourist refund.
Declared it on the way back in, and the guy checking the form said 'oh, that's fully depreciated now isn't, fully used right?' and crossed it out on the declaration form, I guess he couldn't be bothered processing it.

Also had them clean my mountain bike shoes too, there was dirt left on them from when I left, on the way back in customs gave them a proper scrub, like new!