Classic Sydney Pub Crawl

Fatman

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Let me preface this by saying I would prefer the 'lads' and under eighteen to refrain from posting here. This is indeed a serious business, no place for 'my mate skulled a bottle of beam while standing on his head' heroes.

I have met quite a few of you and know there are some very well seasoned Sydney CBD drinkers out there. I am heading into the city this evening with a mate before he goes off to Afghanastan, it will be a long night.
My last real crawl lasted for almost three days in 1999 with a bunch of U.S airforce guys and a few other mates, this one will be considerably shorter but I want to pack in some good pubs.

My quandry is that I know some of my favourites and I have a plan set out but I'm looking for ideas, I don't want to rely on the Sydney Pub Guide etc. Some recommendations for good pub food along the way would help too, anyone who says 'eating's cheating' is obviously an amateur.

My plan goes like this;

Lord Nelson
The Australian
Lowenbrau
Redoak
James Squire Brewhouse
Equilibrium
The Macquarie Hotel

The rationale being that I'm able to get a good feed at the Australian and the trip goes from the Rocks and works its way back to Surry Hills and Central station. It also includes local breweries and touristy stuff as my mate's not an Aussie.

Any suggestions or places I should add/subtract? All this is leading up to a plan for the Ultimate Sydney Pub Crawl, something I look forward to participating in with a number of farkers in the future. What would your Sydney pub crawl be?

Kingston

Squid
Thats exactly how we do the pub crawl on the october long weekend (this year being an exception as we done it earlier in the year) Exactly the same pubs except we drop the squire brewhouse as its overpriced IMO and we do the route in reverse and the lowenbrau is our last stop. We always trek over to opera bar for a seafood platter that accomodates 4 people a serve later in the night to wind down a bit :D

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
You're obviously a bit rusty on ye olde Rocks pub crawl.

Palisade
Lord Nelson
Hero of Waterloo
Harbourview
Glenmore Castle
The Australian
The Argyle
Lowenbrau
The Orient
The Fortune of war
Cruise Bar
Jacksons on George
Harts Pub
Belgian Beer Cafe

From there if you're still standing I would reccomend heading down York St as that takes you past

The Occidental
Bavarian Beer Cafe
CBD
The Forbes
The Grace
City Bowlers club

If you're still standing by this point you should immediately book yourself into re-hab.

wombat

Lives in a hole
The argyle?
I can't say I'd ever include that in a pub crawl, especially if you want to get there after 9.

Fatman

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Quality over quantity Oddjob, I'm really not a fan of Jacksons and the Belgian beer cafe is just too pricey (I know what the beers are worth).

I am willing to do a reconaissance mission on the ones on the list I don't frequent though. Any favourites on that list?
I know the Fortune, Orient and Australian quite well.

maxwolfie

under-the-radar comedian
I tried to organise a pub crawl for my 21st in Slurry Hills... if you head back out that way, perhaps head there earlier rather than later as pubs seemed to close up VERY early for some reason.

Spanky_Ham

Porcinus Slappius
Spanky used to go to the nelson and just make his way through the Nelson Brewery list...

really never needed another pub after that.......

+1 Old Admiral
+1 Nelsons Blood

Oh forgot to add, plowmans lunch or plate whatever... cheese, pickles and bread with beer.... mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

s

Last edited:

Fatman

Likes Bikes and Dirt
The only one I really want to get to in Surry Hills is The Macquarie Hotel, funny thing is I'm not even a huge fan of Schwartz beers but it must be done. Come to think of it I'm not a huge fan of Squire either but again this trip is not purely for my benefit.

Spanky I am a fan of the Nelson, three sheets is my choice but I'll take any of theirs.

RCOH

Eats Squid
The palisades is my favourite rocks pub after the australia - it is old and crappy but the 'feel' is awesome & you can drink on the street.

Otherwise I think you have it covered.

Oddjob- Jackson's on George???? You on crack? :p

castillo

Likes Dirt
I recommend the Harbour View also. I would give the Argyle a miss. By the looks of the crowd, they are usually dressed for a funeral/wedding - i can't have fun in that rig.

Edit: I would be super keen for a farkin crawl, i'm really quite well behaved. Provided I would be home.

Last edited:

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
The argyle?
I can't say I'd ever include that in a pub crawl, especially if you want to get there after 9.
Normally I wouldn't either but the outdoor courtyard is actually very nice when it's not packed and as he's going tonight, it probably won't be packed. The nasty dress code only applies on Thurs-Sun as well.

Quality over quantity Oddjob, I'm really not a fan of Jacksons and the Belgian beer cafe is just too pricey (I know what the beers are worth).

I am willing to do a reconaissance mission on the ones on the list I don't frequent though. Any favourites on that list?
I know the Fortune, Orient and Australian quite well.
The Palisade is definitely a favourite, check out the roof if you can - one of the best views in Sydney. The same applies to the Glenmore. Other favourite bars/pubs/etc include Customs house bar on Bridge St, Opera Bar just for the location and the Redoak is a must for the beer and food. Outside the CBD I'd reccomend East Sydney over Surrey Hills. The Lord Roberts, East Village, Darlo Bar, Victoria Room and Green Park are more seductive than the Dolphin, Clock, Cleveland and Cricketers combination. It's also close to Una's for a giant schnitzel covered in mushroom gravy and a hop skip and a jump to the Cross as well.

The palisades is my favourite rocks pub after the australia - it is old and crappy but the 'feel' is awesome & you can drink on the street.

Otherwise I think you have it covered.

Oddjob- Jackson's on George???? You on crack? :p
No, but I might have been on a lot of tequila and chasing a particularly fine piece of skirt...

Last edited:

bipyjamas

Likes Dirt
The only one I really want to get to in Surry Hills is The Macquarie Hotel, funny thing is I'm not even a huge fan of Schwartz beers but it must be done. Come to think of it I'm not a huge fan of Squire either but again this trip is not purely for my benefit.

Spanky I am a fan of the Nelson, three sheets is my choice but I'll take any of theirs.
Lord Nelsons
+1 Old Admiral
+1 3 Sheets for something lighter

I go to the Macquarie now and then, but I've only drank the brewed beers in house and their quality tends to vary quite a bit. Most induce hangover headaches. I like the Baron's Passionberry Porter even though it conjures up images of a girly beer...

The Palisades is pretty cool, for some reason that eludes me now, you can drink up to the curb. One crawl we would sit out on the sidewalk and wave as tourist buses go past haha. Very old place that the owner doesn't seem to feel like renovating.

Also check out the Fortune of War, I remember having some damn good meat pies there that stayed down even after many beers :D

Last edited: