Clean fill: why can't I get any?

Cypher

Likes Dirt
So there are heaps of adds on gumtree etc but danged if I can get any soil for my backyard bike track. Is there a trick to it? Should I get my (male) partner to call these people up? No one returns my calls.

I don't have a truck so I need delivery of about 5 tonnes. Sigh

Flow-Rider

Burner
Try going to a local building site in your area where they are removing soil and ask them first hand. Builders or developers hardly ever pick the phone up when money isn't involved. The laws may very from state to state and local councils but you may need a permit to move soil in some areas.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
Try going to a local building site in your area where they are removing soil and ask them first hand. Builders or developers hardly ever pick the phone up when money isn't involved. The laws may very from state to state and local councils but you may need a permit to move soil in some areas.
You've got fire ants?

Problem might be that you are only after 2-3m3. Most trucks are 6 or more. Make bigger jumps?

Knuckles

Lives under a bridge
Any new estates in your area? Preferably pretentious, with the words Heights, Mews, or Lakes in the name. Look for someone excavating a pool, those cheap chunts are always looking for a free place to dump their spoils.

#nickstevensisachunt

kwikee

Likes Dirt
A regular tip truck holds 10 cubic metres, so that's what you'd have to take. If you can get someone close with a small excavation where it will save a lot of time to come to you compared to their usual place, maybe. If the fill is good, other sites will be buying it too, maybe that's why it's hard to get?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

MARKL

Eats Squid
And be careful what you are getting as fill. Back at my old job I received a call that a company had imported fill, onto one of my sites without approval. I ordered a stop and had a look, clearly asbestos in the fill. Got the hygienist out there...

In $:

Their original quote was $100k
They got a 'deal' at $60k

Cost them $460k to clean up the mess plus $200k to repair damage to infrastructure on the site as a result of the clean up.