Clean up the Farkin.net Gene-pool!

Dane

Likes Dirt
I know no ones forcing me to read Farkin, but I use to enjoy it.
Its turning to crap. Honestly, this must be worse than PinkBike*. Ban them all.

-Dane

I haven't ever been on PB, but it couldn't be this bad.

Ryan

Radministrator
Dane said:
I know no ones forcing me to read Farkin, but I use to enjoy it.
Its turning to crap. Honestly, this must be worse than PinkBike*. Ban them all.

-Dane

I haven't ever been on PB, but it couldn't be this bad.
The two people being the biggest dicks in that thread were banned quick-smart, I don't know what else we're supposed to do...

Fischy

Likes Bikes
As a relative newbie to Farkin (and somebody who rides an STPZero) I am in total agreeance. I did get a bit steamed last night and posted in the above, but it was voicing my opinion that people need to get over it and see past the bike and instead look at the rider. Whats the point of posting crap? Yeah, sure its worth a laugh every now and then but eventually it gets incredibly monotonous and as Dim said, its ultimately a waste of time.

As far as fixing the problem goes, I have no amazingly bright ideas... Ban those who deliberately fill threads with illegitimate sh!te, which is what you guys already do.

Martin.au

Likes Dirt
It's not too bad yet. There's only been a couple of threads that have got out of hand. The STP List is quite inappropriate and should be disposed of, and the blow up in the "Post your ride" section was dealt with pretty quickly.

I think it's just a bit of a surprise to have it all happen at once. In a day or two it should be back to normal.

spyderman_au

Likes Bikes and Dirt
It is easy to deal with. Use the ignore list. It works a treat, I never see a post from Hubbie and my day is better for it.

Just note the idiots and add them to ignore(idiot) list.
Cheers..

MTBWANNABE

Banned
Martin.au said:
It's not too bad yet. There's only been a couple of threads that have got out of hand. The STP List is quite inappropriate and should be disposed of, and the blow up in the "Post your ride" section was dealt with pretty quickly.

I think it's just a bit of a surprise to have it all happen at once. In a day or two it should be back to normal.
See. I agree whole heartedly Martin. But i don't think that thread was fair. Why didn't caine get a talking to? He did everything as bad, if not WORSE that the STP fellow. (that is if your reffering to that thread.)

I think his name was STP_RULZ or something.. with the pic of the website bike - Fellow who obviously doesn't know the extent of the riding knowledge and mistakenly stated that pikes are as good as Dirt Jams. Who got flamed for it. Big deal.

Gah - some of the people on this site need a quick clean back hand. That'll teach em ;)

(p.s. i don't think theres much you can do in terms of stopping this "shit" unless you have specific rules like "if you bag a STP - banned on the spot" but the thats going a tad far....) <-- thats only an example..

EDIT: My mistake - Caine WAS band (ya-hoo) the system works!! (disregard my first paragraph :))

Last edited:

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
One thing we all have to realise is that Farkin and the sport are expanding. This will bring in not only more noobs to the sport (as we all were once) and more young kids, it's also going to bring in both forum noobs (as we all were once) and a share of idiots. As Ryan said, all we can do is our best and head it off where we can.

Farkin old timers, like yourself Dane, will have to understand that nothing remains the same forever. The Admin/mod team will always do their best in keeping the content to a particular standard, but crap like this will happen from time to time regardless of how vigilant we are. Sometimes we've just got to take the good with the bad unfortunately.

Oliver.

Liquid Productions
Dim said:
Its purely Discriminating against people with STP's. By Buying an STP, no matter how you ride, you are put into this "Group" and looked down on by some.
Agreed, no matter how many of these threads eventuate, stereotyping isnt a solution.

I think the mods are doing a perfectly good job at present. It really is an unavoidable situation, that can only be dealt with, in my opinion, by pointing out the rules of the forum board, and assertively showing the younger members what they are doing wrong.

tu plang

knob
haha the only reason people ACTUALLY pay out stps is because so many people get so worked up over it. using words like discrimination to describe childish behaviour on a forum is a bit precious, its not like they actually hate you because you ride an stp.

anyway, its accepted practice in the sport to pay out on giant riders in general :p

hubbie

Forever 1,337
I know that moderating isn't my job, and so i don't know how stressful it can be, but surely banning every n00b isn't the solution. Training them, and showing them the way to act is what we should be doing. Everyone has been a 13yr old msn language user, and i've seen users get the idea and stop with it. Surely we're all here to expand the sport and it's community, as it's going to benefit us all

toodles

Wheel size expert
hubbie said:
surely banning every n00b isn't the solution.
No but it is fun.

Seriously, the way people carry on about banning it's like a Niguarian death squad is kidnapping 20 users a day and silencing them. In reality, we really only kill repeat offenders and people who's first posts scream troll or are outright unacceptable.

Jordy

RYD4LF
in 13 days i will have been a member of this site for 3 years, for the past 6 months i've barely ever posted. its gone to the shitter. these days i dont even use it for a source of information ! cept for meeting up for rides.

STP's suck my friend snapped his

doing a flair

but mines ok

Martin.au

Likes Dirt
Jordy said:
in 13 days i will have been a member of this site for 3 years, for the past 6 months i've barely ever posted. its gone to the shitter. these days i dont even use it for a source of information ! cept for meeting up for rides.

STP's suck my friend snapped his

doing a flair

but mines ok
Well that was constructive. How about some requests as to what you'd like to see or some advice as to why the site has "gone to the shitter"?

Atomikryder

Likes Dirt
I think that the mods are doing a great job by PM ing people and telling them what they have done wrong is good enough. I know when i get a PM from one of the mods ( ok then johnny lol) that i stop doing what they told me to do or face with not coming on this site.

Icarus

Likes Dirt
What about a 3 hour 'cooling off' period after you join? All the new members will be able to read the posts, get the gist, look at Attached photos, ect. But won't flood the General section with 5 new threads in the first 15 minutes.

Comments?

PINT of Stella. mate!

Many, many Scotches
Icarus said:
What about a 3 hour 'cooling off' period after you join? All the new members will be able to read the posts, get the gist, look at Attached photos, ect. But won't flood the General section with 5 new threads in the first 15 minutes.

Comments?
I dunno, I used to pass through here a lot as a non-member and I think I only joined to respond to a post that was relevant to me (or it might have been to ask some inane question, I tend to forget...)

Had there been a cooling off period I may never have bothered and gone back to posting ficticious blogs.

(actually it's probably a good idea when you think about it ;) )

Last edited:

leitch

Feelin' a bit rrranty
Icarus said:

Comments?
i like this idea, but would you make it just 3 hours after time of registering? or could it be made to be 3 hours of them being actually logged on and viewing pages?

Jordy

RYD4LF
Martin.au said:
Well that was constructive. How about some requests as to what you'd like to see or some advice as to why the site has "gone to the shitter"?
people that try to have a go at someone when they post an opinion is alot of the reason i dont post anymore and then when i get a smartass back they get all uppity. its happened many times

rockydog

Likes Dirt
I'm a relative Farkin noob...
Farkin is great, there is a lot of good information...but sometimes I visit just for a distraction from work.
And Farkin is never so entertaining as when there are a lot of hot-heads takin' sh!t and getting worked up over some pointless thread. Maybe not constructive, but funny. Learn to love it.