Cleaning sealant out of presta valve cores

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
Anyone recycling their Presta Valve cores ?

I have tried a few products and looked at google to see what others were doing, still looks like the best way is to take them apart.

The issue with cleaning products is they damage the little bottom rubber seal or it completely falls off.
Tried paint stripper last time, which melted all sealant... and rubber.

I buy them from >this ebay bloke< in batches of 20-30 at a time and they are cheap to replace, even know he has been creeping the price up, used to be $2 for 10... but I never throw them away, now amassed about 50 again as we run 10 regular bikes tubeless and several others that are rarely ridden with probably 2 wheels with dried up sealant. Doesn't help that 2 boys just blast the sealant out of their valves everytime they pump up their tyres.

Clogged or slow cores give me the shits.

If anyone has a cheap way to clean these cores, please share.

moorey

call me Mia
I soak in water for a while, screw them into a shraeder adapter, and blow high pressure air through them while tapping the valve. Sometimes takes a few goes. Doesn’t always work, usually does.

Flow-Rider

Burner
Let you in on a secret since you're such a cool bloke :), you can pull them apart in you're careful enough with a set of pointy noise pliers and a normal set. You might need to de-burr the screw end before removal and then crimp it again afterwards to stop the nib falling off. They can be quit hard to dismantle the first time as they are very tight on the thread.

Flow-Rider

Burner
Meh. Tried that once. Near impossible to not mangle the thread.
You can try and wind the nib down and file the end of the thread a bit so that the nib can pass over the end easily. I've done 2 Mitus branded valves no worries, haven't tried any other brands as I normally buy replaceable packs also. You can grab them at the other end also where there's no thread.

Ackland

chats d'élevage
I've got a tiny vial with a screw top lid.
It fits 6 or 7 cores.

I put about 10ml of isopropyl in there and leave em soaking with occasional shaking until I need to swap one.

Usually the grime either disappears by the time I grab em out our it just takes a quick wipe

teK--

Eats Squid
Sounds like a lot of trouble for something that is less than a buck a piece and lasts good 6 months or so before blocking??

Before pumping tyres I just turn wheels so valves to bottom let it sit for a few mins then turn wheel so valve is on top. No sealant comes out then

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
Tried taking them apart, it works but its a pain.

This bloke I linked is $3.50 for 10. I usually buy ~30 at a time.
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Tool-Si...774a:m:m7ld1vCDEdgvFRhEvzqvaYA&frcectupt=true

I've got a tiny vial with a screw top lid.
It fits 6 or 7 cores.

I put about 10ml of isopropyl in there and leave em soaking with occasional shaking until I need to swap one.

Usually the grime either disappears by the time I grab em out our it just takes a quick wipe
How does the rubber seal go with Isopropyl after time in the vial ?

teK--

Eats Squid
They get easier the more times you dismantle them I've found, you just got remember to put a good crimp on the end of the thread
Tbh I hate wasting things that can be reused but this just seems like a lot of work and risk for such a cheap item.

I mean is it worth it to have a core shit itself in the middle of nowhere because it had been cleaned or dismantled too many a time? I usually carry a spare core but I'd prefer not to have to use it in such circumstances.

Flow-Rider

Burner
Tbh I hate wasting things that can be reused but this just seems like a lot of work and risk for such a cheap item.

I mean is it worth it to have a core shit itself in the middle of nowhere because it had been cleaned or dismantled too many a time? I usually carry a spare core but I'd prefer not to have to use it in such circumstances.
Each to their own, no issues here.
If it fails it most likely will be the first time you tighten the nib up. I usually just grind the endstop off the thread the first time but if you feel the threads really loose or damaged you just throw it away in any case.

I've tried cleaning them with a few different types of liquids, anything that does a good job usually dissolves or stretches the rubber seal.