Cleaning up for Dirt Jump building.

Lemontime

Eats Squid
Hi there.
Me and my friends are looking to building some dirt jump in a mates block of land, which is extremely overgrown. I was wondering what the essentials are for cleaning it up? Is there some sort of heavy duty lawn mower? There's also a small-medium sized tree in there.. How would we go about getting rid of that?
Thanks in advance,
Harry.

t

Likes Bikes and Dirt
a heavy chain attached to a car is pretty good for removing most smaller forms of vegetation. ;)

allan_key

Likes Dirt
you will need the following:

axe
bushcutter
shovel
rake-hoe (if u can get ur hands on one)
hand saw
or
chain saw

and alot of free time and few people to lend a hand to help out

Bozzly

Squid
I did the same with my brother and a friend of mine, we used

A Machete
A small hand axe
A couple of shovels
A rake

We used the machete and axe to cut the vegetation then used the rake to clear the leaf matter. Then we shoveled the the dirt from the path and used it to help make the jumps.

I'm 14 as well and we managed to do it in a couple of afternoons.

Lemontime

Eats Squid
I'll take a picture of the site tomorrow :p
It's still un-confirmed whether we can build there, but we're hopefull.
Would a skip be necessary?

Bozzly

Squid
If theres tons of vegetation then you could always have a bonfire but thats illegal.;) I did that a couple of times and some guys ended up ringing the fire brigade:D.

Antho_188

Banned
lol sounds like u'll have fun, leave as much vegetation as u can, makes it challanging, like having like smaller den 50cm tracks betweens jumps.... over logs nd shit, makes it mad man

nd if u get a camera in there, always has a good shot if u take sumthing around dusk.

oldbean

NSWMTB
Why don't you leave the tree there so you have some shade on sunny days? And leave as much grass there as possible to stop soil erosion. I'd find the best thing for cutting the long grass is a good quality whipper-snipper.

Lemontime

Eats Squid
Okay. We'd probably have to trim the tree a fair bit. And after surveying the site, I'd be surprised if their weren't countless poisinous(sp?) spiders. So weed (get it?) probably have to spray the place with insecticide first.
What I really hope is that when it's all done, people don't come and trash it.

Edit: Would it be a good idea to go out and buy lots of firewood to minimise on dirt-usage for the jumps? Just like.. Build the jumps from wood then cover them in dirt? Please advise D:

Last edited:

meatlovers

Likes Bikes and Dirt
To save some time and energy, just cut the grass to form a track in the parts you need bare, so it is easier to see the track and looks cool.

Bozzly

Squid
We 'found';) some concrete blocks and used them for a base so we used hardly any dirt for our jumps. You have to make sure that you cover the bricks/planks well enough though because we found that sometimes the bricks would show and then that sucked for jumping. They're a good idea though because it means that you can build the jump higher than you usually would be able to if you just used dirt.