Cleaning

castlo

Likes Dirt
hey guys just wondering how far you strip your bike down (if at all) after a race to clean and keep her running like a gem?

cheers

L-iam

Likes Bikes
occasioanlly i will take the numberplate off... not usually...

pressure washer for the win i dont care what anyone says.

driftking

Wheel size expert
I dont race but after rides depends on the conditions, if its good conditions the bike stays pretty clean so just relube everything, if its quite dirty I take off the shock cover (older glory) remove the rear wheel, hose the hole bike clean it all up, clean around the fork seals, put some teflon lube on the forks and compress them helps pull up any dirt. spray the crap out of my cassette with lube which cleans it up like new, I cant be bothered taking it off, just make sure your disc is either removed or covered well. Dry the bike well wipe off excess lube and then re lube shock,forks to help seals, cassette,deraileur and any cable thats expossed. Pretty much I just try get all the muck off the bike and keep proper things lubed without needing to pull too much apart.If needed ill tune the gears.
My bike has served me pretty well, although I should regrease things more regularly I havent needed too, everything is really sealed up nicely.

Last edited:

adman

Likes Dirt
After any ride, dusty or muddy, I'll wash my bike down with a hose and brushes, clean the drivetrain properly and then re-lube everything.

I get forks and shocks serviced every 6 months, and at the same time I'll completely dismantle the frame, checking all the pivots and bearings for wear. Everything get's cleaned internally and re-greased for another 6 months.

Basically if you clean your bike every time you ride, and do a complete overhaul every 6 months, nothing will ever get damaged.

castlo

Likes Dirt
thanks guys, well its 6 months is coming up in jan coz i was out for about 7 with injury so yeah, hmmm should be fun getting all the bearing on the rotec rear end out hahaha