Clear coating a high polished aluminum frame

C0na

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I've used it before and it didn't harden properly for me. Not sure if that was bad mixing on my part or just too cold? The AP120 pre-treatment is great though, I use it before I powdercoat small parts. It pits the metal without reducing the shine. Getting your frame clear powdercoated would probably be better in the long run and should be considered...
Reading up on the instruction booklet, there seems to be a real emphasis on getting the prep work down to a T. Its also mentioned that the climate is big factor in terms of the success or failure of the stuff.

donny70

Likes Dirt
Reading up on the instruction booklet, there seems to be a real emphasis on getting the prep work down to a T. Its also mentioned that the climate is big factor in terms of the success or failure of the stuff.
Mine was a fail. I think if you treat with the ap120 anything will stick to the metal. Just mix the 2pack right and have the correct humidity and temp.

And spray without drips...

carpetrunner

Likes Dirt
Have used Tectyl 151 on boat masts - appears to put up with abrasion, salt water and UV pretty well. Better than anodizing or clear coat. It is clear but you will probably have to do a mild acid wash clean, which could take a little of the shine off, but it is not a full on etch prime - so it should still retain a shine.
- carpetrunner

spoozbucket

Likes Dirt
Hmmm it's easy as, there are a few products that will do it but the best I have found is Por-15 Glisten PC. It sticks to stupidly polished surfaces but needs a spray on adhesion promoter to make it stick. It dries awesomely clear and is chip proof but costs a bit and you MUST USE AN APPROPRIATE MASK TO SPRAY IT!!!!!

http://www.por15.com/Glisten-PC-High-Performance-Clear-Coat_ep_75.html

The Aussie disto is pretty awesome and will help answer any questions you may have.

Random internet pic using Por-15 Glisten PC-

Beno22

Likes Bikes
Thought about the anodising option, had a my frame polished then anodised black but if you do it natural finish will be polished and hard wearing, just a thought..