clear coating

Welshy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
hey,

i am hoping to strip my frame and then clear coat over the aluminium leaving it the raw colour. i was woundering if it is possible or easy to clear coat the frame myself. if it is possible is it an experienced job?

yes i have read through the painting thread, but it says nothing about this.

many thanks, tom

'Ross

Eats Squid
Get some clear aerosol spray. Aussie Export 'clear' is like $3 maybe get a couple of cans;) I have done this before with a 7005 alloy frame, it was fine and did not tarnish at all. However Ive seen evidence of chromo frames getting surface rust despite having several layers of clear.

addmin

Likes Dirt
i was thinking about doing this to an old set of bars as well.....
do you think that the clear spray would leave a shiny finish or would it be more dullish?
also would it have the same durability as normal spray paint?
thanks

Welshy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Get some clear aerosol spray. Aussie Export 'clear' is like $3 maybe get a couple of cans;) I have done this before with a 7005 alloy frame, it was fine and did not tarnish at all. However Ive seen evidence of chromo frames getting surface rust despite having several layers of clear.
my frame is a 7005 alloy frame. :) good news for me i guess. so you say it will work fine?

i am also wondering, i have some trailer damage, probably 3 years old on my frame, down to bare metal, and it has not rusted, would it rust without a clear coat on large surfaces?

one last question, what is drying time like?

thanks a bunch

'Ross

Eats Squid
It will work fine, as long as you spray it properly. It could give a little bit of a glossy finish depending on the finish of your frame. Ive never seen alloy frames rust, but Ive seen them tarnish when left exposed and in the rain:eek: It will touch dry fairly quickly, but Id wait 24 hours before building the bike up again and riding it.

U.D.O

Likes Bikes and Dirt
i have done this to a bmx frame but it was a steel frame!
i used the paint that ross mentioned :D, but you dont really need to be expierienced.

my only tips would be do a even layers, make sure you cover the whole frame as i missed a bit and it rusted! :mad:
i would suggest one coat because the more coats the more foggy it becomes!
so you might be beter off with a higher quality car paint clear coat that would cost around $12 and it will last longer and i think it will be more chip resistent.

and as a reply to addmin's question it does become more shiny especialy when you polish the clear coat! :D

Welshy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
It will work fine, as long as you spray it properly. It could give a little bit of a glossy finish depending on the finish of your frame. Ive never seen alloy frames rust, but Ive seen them tarnish when left exposed and in the rain:eek: It will touch dry fairly quickly, but Id wait 24 hours before building the bike up again and riding it.
now, i am slightly retarded (metophoricaly speaking) and i probably stand a high risk of screwing up the painting. is it 100% necasary for a clear coat, would you go without one for instance?

thanks again

U.D.O

Likes Bikes and Dirt
now, i am slightly retarded (metophoricaly speaking) and i probably stand a high risk of screwing up the painting. is it 100% necasary for a clear coat, would you go without one for instance?

thanks again
i believe that you could pull off not clear coating the frame!
aluminuin doesnt rust but it does corrode but that is a extremly slow proccess!
if you dont feel confident it painting, i would suggest taking the risk of not clear coating it but if it does suffer undesirable rust/corrosion, take it back to bare metal again then clear coat it!

Welshy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
i believe that you could pull off not clear coating the frame!
aluminuin doesnt rust but it does corrode but that is a extremly slow proccess!
if you dont feel confident it painting, i would suggest taking the risk of not clear coating it but if it does suffer undesirable rust/corrosion, take it back to bare metal again then clear coat it!
so if i went without for now, and bad stuff did happen, its fixable?

U.D.O

Likes Bikes and Dirt
so if i went without for now, and bad stuff did happen, its fixable?
i'm guessing so by just taking it back to bare metal again! :confused:
but the effect of corrosion would take a while to be visible, but if your take good care of your bike and not leave it it the weather (as you should already be doing) it should be fine!:D... i hope!:p

i'm not an expert on this stuff but i've had a scratch on my bike exposing aluminium for over a year now and it hasnt had any noticable effect to it so i would assume it wouldnt to a whole frame!

My wise father has just advised me that it would be fine but...
- if it is near the sea it will corode and go a bit white (something to do with oxide? :confused:)
- over a long pereiod of time it will go dull but with clear coat it wouldnt
- it will fingerprint easy but not with a clear coat
and some other spam that a cant remeber! :p

Welshy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
i'm guessing so by just taking it back to bare metal again! :confused:
but the effect of corrosion would take a while to be visible, but if your take good care of your bike and not leave it it the weather (as you should already be doing) it should be fine!:D... i hope!:p

i'm not an expert on this stuff but i've had a scratch on my bike exposing aluminium for over a year now and it hasnt had any noticable effect to it so i would assume it wouldnt to a whole frame!

My wise father has just advised me that it would be fine but...
- if it is near the sea it will corode and go a bit white (something to do with oxide? :confused:)
- over a long pereiod of time it will go dull but with clear coat it wouldnt
- it will fingerprint easy but not with a clear coat
and some other spam that a cant remeber! :p

you bring up an interesting point, mr. rival senior,

i am probably about 2-3km from the sea... i dont know if thats too close for comfort, and by fingerprint does he mean like stainless steal?

thanks alot mate

s73v30

Likes Dirt
Ok Aluminum Doesn't rust as such the outer layer goes through a process called oxidization (if I remember clearly) . When this happens it creates a barrier and stops the the alu from corroding further.

So if you raw your frame well the aluminum will be shiny, and will stay that way it you clear coat it.

If you choose to leave it with out a clear coat it will dull a little this is the oxidization taking place.

However go a head clear it yourself not a lot cant go wrong. My advice would be do the processes in the paint your frame thread only with clear coat.

U.D.O

Likes Bikes and Dirt
you bring up an interesting point, mr. rival senior,

i am probably about 2-3km from the sea... i dont know if thats too close for comfort, and by fingerprint does he mean like stainless steal?

thanks alot mate
the aluminium would fingerprint as much as stainless but it would fingerprint a bit.
the wise father says that you living that close to the sea may have a minor effect on the frame.
so i think the extra effort of clear coating could be a good idea!

S!C!E!R!

Banned
Ok Aluminum Doesn't rust as such the outer layer goes through a process called oxidization (if I remember clearly) . When this happens it creates a barrier and stops the the alu from corroding further.

So if you raw your frame well the aluminum will be shiny, and will stay that way it you clear coat it.

If you choose to leave it with out a clear coat it will dull a little this is the oxidization taking place.

However go a head clear it yourself not a lot cant go wrong. My advice would be do the processes in the paint your frame thread only with clear coat.
A couple of spelling errors in there Steven :p ...

Jee you make it sound so simple :eek: ...

Welshy

Likes Bikes and Dirt

thats reasuring :rolleyes::p i will have a think. i will probably be stripping it tomorrow, so will decide from there.

thanks a bunch for all your help guys!

Richo 18

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Well how-bout we all just copy our riding mates and what they did to their bikes..:p

Why would you even bother posting this up though Tom, I can tell you everything you need to know. I'll tell you the brands of shit you need, how to do it, when to do it, and etc etc.

Just a heads up for every other bloke out there whose going to raw their shit too, it will cost you about $50 to do it yourself and not impact tools at home
(brushes, cloths, sponges, steel wool etc, )

s73v30

Likes Dirt
thats reasuring :rolleyes::p i will have a think. i will probably be stripping it tomorrow, so will decide from there.

thanks a bunch for all your help guys!
My bad I think you no what I meant to say. Ive written 3 essays tonight I'm over checking my work.

Just take you time and be careful not to let it drip.

seriously not a lot can go wrong even if it does its an easy fix.

P.S. Shut up Senan I'll be on watch for your next slip up now.