Cleat pos/pedal selection question

Matty_moo85

Likes Bikes
Hi guys
I thought about giving clipless a shot probably 8 months ago and have been on them ever since. I have been messing with the cleat position lately because I have been getting sore arches when depending ever since I have been using them. I moved them forward and my calf's were getting really sore when decending. So today I decided to give up and go back to flats. After riding clipped in I can see all the advantages so I want to persevere with clipless. Looking at my shoes and pedals today (xt trails and sh 89) there is not alone of contact between the sole and the body of the pedal. I thought a pedal with a bigger body for contact might solve my issues? Any info from any one with a similar story would be great!

MarioM

Likes Dirt
Generally its cleats as far back as possible . Try different variants of strap adjustments too tight can lead to soreness and numbness . I went from Shimano shoes to LG shoes and it fixed all my problems , not saying this will for you . Make sure your foot has enough room in the shoe , if its too tight around toes and such this will create issues also . May also pay to have look at where your saddle sits as this can also be the culprit . A google will reveal what you need to know .

Matty_moo85

Likes Bikes
Hi
Thanks for your help I have Googled it a heap but couldn't find that much info with only pain while decending. I will try them all the way back and see how that goes
Cheers

link1896

Mr Greenfield
I spent 20 years with shoe and pedal combos that didn't work for me with regards to comfort after an hour or so. Your sore arches, possibly the sh89 shoes don't have enough arch support?

I'm not familiar with these sh89 shoes, but in general the plate buried in the shoes makes contact to the pedal via the cleat. My most comfortable combo are eggbeaters ( tiny pedals) and cannondale shoes.

Last edited:

Minlak

custom titis
I use trail pedals they have a little platform of support. Also go and get yourself some inner soles that match the form of your foot.

Flow-Rider

Burner
Hi guys
I moved them forward and my calves were getting really sore when descending.
Move them a little bit at a time, like 5mm intervals over a month of usage and your muscles will get stronger and tolerate the position. I agree with a lot said above, try arch supports and etc.. I can't stand clipless but the power efficiency is too great to pass up.