cleats

jamie

Likes Dirt
Your pedal should have an adjustment screw, this will allow you to adjust the amount of tension on the cleats

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
In my experience they get looser as they wear. You can up the tension in the pedal springs to compensate or get new cleats.

harmonix1234

Eats Squid
Does swapping the cleats over from left to right when they get a bit old freshen them up?

Just thinking, I always rotate out of the pedal the same way, so in theory should one side of the cleat wear more than the other?

Pinner

Likes Dirt
Does swapping the cleats over from left to right when they get a bit old freshen them up?

Just thinking, I always rotate out of the pedal the same way, so in theory should one side of the cleat wear more than the other?
Nah, your thinking of Crank Brothers. I reckon Shimanos wear out from the bottom, from walking around. Can't notice any difference in the release. They last heaps long because they are steel, whereas CB are brass.

Norco Maniac

Is back!

good question. seeing as i only walk around at the track with mine, a swap every 6 months or year should be a good idea. different if you're a mtb rider or roadie i guess. mine are SPD's.

hach_bee

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I run SPD's and find I wear out the top point of the cleat on my shoe before anything. That said, I centre my weight over the balls of my feet more than normal...

indica

Serial flasher
I have run the same until my shoes were fucked.
Current shoes - Shimano, over 4 years.
Previous Gaerne - 8 years.

TLS

Likes Bikes
I've never had a problem with Shimano SPD's wearing out. Because they are metal they seem to last forever.
That said the pedals will loosen but I think this just due to the pedals tensioning screw / spring releasing. As long as you tighten this up every now and then you'll be right.
If you're doing heaps of rough / technical riding this can happen pretty quick.
I'm pretty certain any looseness is due to the pedal tension releasing not the cleats wearing, but I may be wrong on this.