Clickbike (Dirtworks) runout specials

spoozbucket

Likes Dirt
I'd imagine if a product was going from DW to another importer that the RRP would drop. Ring a bike shop to find the RRP, a few importers let the shop decide the final price.

Link

Likes Dirt
I'd imagine if a product was going from DW to another importer that the RRP would drop. Ring a bike shop to find the RRP, a few importers let the shop decide the final price.
What do you mean "a few"?

Wholesalers/suppliers must allow bike shops to set their own prices. RRP is nothing but a suggestion. For example, NettiAtom have been penalised by the ACCC in the past for forcing shops to sell bikes at a certain price.

http://www.accc.gov.au/business/anti-competitive-behaviour/imposing-minimum-resale-prices

floody

Wheel size expert
RRP might only be a suggestion, but in the conservative as hell bike trade, selling at the highest margin you can get away with (assuming public knows RRP) instead of aiming for volume
usually means the RRP ends up on tags in the shop.

As for SCV, I priced some common stuff and prices were fine, but not much chop when the replenishment order is 5 months away.

Gripo

Eats Squid
RRP might only be a suggestion, but in the conservative as hell bike trade, selling at the highest margin you can get away with (assuming public knows RRP) instead of aiming for volume
usually means the RRP ends up on tags in the shop.
oh the irony....and the LBS industry wonders why they've got it hard against online purchases...

floody

Wheel size expert
Apart from a select few, the entire distributor->LBS model in Australia is based on high markup, low volume, low risk.

spoozbucket

Likes Dirt
What do you mean "a few"?

Wholesalers/suppliers must allow bike shops to set their own prices. RRP is nothing but a suggestion. For example, NettiAtom have been penalised by the ACCC in the past for forcing shops to sell bikes at a certain price.

http://www.accc.gov.au/business/anti-competitive-behaviour/imposing-minimum-resale-prices

Sorry, some don't even give a suggested RRP and leave the final pricing decision to the shop.

I have always found SCV great for what I wanted and quite often parts were cheaper than CRC(with a slight shop discount) and I'd get 'em in two days because they are local. They also sorted me with a warranty replacement frame for a brand they didn't stock, top marks to those lads.

floody

Wheel size expert
BTW no offence meant to SCV there, more commenting on the general state of bike retail here. No surprises the ones willing to stick their neck out and drive sales are thriving.

spoozbucket

Likes Dirt
Nah wasn't aiming that at you, more to a post further back.

Just noticed the 2ndcycle site is gone and clickbike is up and running, my LBS said it was cheaper for them to order from 2ndcycle than from DW directly probably the same with clickbike.......?

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
i have purchased a fair few things distributed through SCV over the years, taken advantage of their servicing of Marzocchi products, and also received plenty of free advice over the phone. always been very pleased with their efforts.

when they started putting RRPs on their website i took it as a good thing. not many LBSs have up to date or even effective websites (or the capacity to), but online retailing and research are a massive influence on the market. this way they can keep people up to date with their products and prices. it does their customers and retailers a favour. it certainly helped me decide to buy my Marzocchi 55CRs in australia rather than overseas. now if only their web site was actually good and up to date.....repeat that across a lot of the wholesalers.

silentbutdeadly

has some good things to say
Clickbike appears to be DW's latest attempt at e-tailing but they are trying to do it without upsetting their retailers...which is going to be hard.

I suspect that more and more small to medium distributors are going to adopt the direct model and by-pass the retailers (who are getting ever more concentrated anyway). There's already a few that have started - GKA and PCI both come to mind. Plus there's others coming to this sort of effort...

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
that technique could work out well, or badly depending....

in the snow industry (similar issues faced to bike industry - overseas is phenominally cheaper and the market here is tiny) there is a wholesaler that does direct sales. they give you the option of receving the item from them or they will send it to your local retailer and give them a cut. of course the business is a tiny 1 man operation and i was left with nothing but sour grapes by his inability to deliver on the simplest of agreements (do you stock this? yes. when can i have it and how do it pay?........hello?......). in the bike industry something like this could work out well (if properly implemented) as most people will still want the shop to fit their parts etc.