Clip-ins to Flats to improve skills?

PJO

in me vL comy
So was thinking it might be time to get some flats.
Thoughts?
I did what you are planning to do almost exactly this time last year, and haven't looked back.
Definitely get some proper flats and decent shoes.
I started off with Wellgo MG-1s and skate shoes, the grip was great but after about an hour or so of riding my feet go tired because the shoes didn't have enough support.

Watch some vids about technique, plenty around, drop your heels when descending.
@Plankosaurus has covered lots of the rest, yeah it feels really foreign for a while but you get used to it. Took about 2-3 months before I was truly comfortable.
I also switched to a hardtail at the same time so maybe it took a bit longer for me to get comfortable. Can't imagine going back now though...
Be prepared you probably will lose your foot at least once, it will fill like shit and hopefully you come out of it in one piece.

Definitely worth it, has got rid of some of my bad techniques.
I also got a cheap dirt jumper like @Oddjob, this helped as well.

Ultra Lord

Hurts. Requires Money. And is nerdy.
Have five tens started being distributed again?
It might be a nightmare trying to get ahold of a set if not.

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
I should do this for the entertainment value if nothing else... I've been off the bike long enough through illness, injury and laziness for long enough that I virtually need to relearn how to ride anyway, so this might be just the ticket to utterly confuse myself :)

Cardy George

Piercing rural members since 1981
I should do this for the entertainment value if nothing else... I've been off the bike long enough through illness, injury and laziness for long enough that I virtually need to relearn how to ride anyway, so this might be just the ticket to utterly confuse myself :)
Video or it didn't happen

Jpez

Down on the left!
You mention you want to learn to manual and wheelie etc.
Flats in my opinion are almost mandatory to learning those skills because you need to learn to jump off the back when you go past the tipping point.
Obviously with clips this isn’t possible.
If I think of my riding buddies myself included the clipped on riders can do wicked bunny hops but can’t manual to save them selves.

Also the flats riders seem to have more fun and ride like hooligans which for me is what it’s all about.

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
You mention you want to learn to manual and wheelie etc.
Flats in my opinion are almost mandatory to learning those skills because you need to learn to jump off the back when you go past the tipping point.
Yes, this has occurred to me too... I cant wheely for shit, nor manual. I used to be a gun wheelier when i was a kid on my BMX pre clips.

Paulie_AU

Likes Dirt
These days with sticky shoes and modern pedals it is kinda cheating. The right of passage should be skate shoes and questionable pedals.

Gotta say I rode flats for ever and still cannot manual much better than adequate for all normal MTB situations. Just don't seem to have that type of balance (front to back isn't a issue just always end up going sideways).

Reminds me I really should go and buy some flats again (stupidly sold them with my BMX bike).

DeBloot

Feeling old
My mate reckons the best thing he's done for his riding is buying pedals with flats one side/ clips the other
I know, most are shit and I thought it was a bit strange when he mentioned it
After months on these he now only climbs using the clip side and is gaining confidence hitting everything else on the flats
The pedals are just flats with an SPD mechanism bolted to one side and are very good quality
https://r2-bike.com/TATZE-BIKE-COMPONENTS-Pedal-Two-Face-Cr-Mo-black

Last weekend he took me to a quite dicey rock chute for the first time
Due to the steep terrain I couldn't manage to clip into one side of my XT's before i was into it - thankfully I managed to descend without incident

But I felt it was time to improve my skills - particularly manuals which are the basis of good riding I reckon (I had a very bad accident due to poor technique off a slow speed drop) and steep hairpin turns etc etc - all much safer on flats
But I have been on clips for 15 years and need the best of both worlds until my skills improve

He's German so buying the Tatze's was easier for him so instead I went for the Funn Mamba's with the one side clip option
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Funn-Mamba-Black-Mountain-Bike-Pedal-Blue-Pins-/302668075037

They seem much the same and have good write ups and have an axle that doesn't just spin in the wind - it requires a foot to move the pedal
I still have my knobby tread shoes but will upgrade to a flatter shoe in the not too distant future
The added weight is irrelevant as we are both on quite big bikes anyway and my only real weight concern is due to pies and alcohol

gillyske

Likes Dirt
I started out riding on flats, tried out clips near the start of this year. Gotta say I really prefer clips. Been trying to jump since i started riding and I feel safer on the clips than on the flats.

Halo1

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Don't you want to train your instinct to grab the back brake at the tipping point and bring the front wheel down? I have ended up on my ass because I have not developed this instinct yet and did not jump off in time.

Jpez

Down on the left!
Don't you want to train your instinct to grab the back brake at the tipping point and bring the front wheel down? I have ended up on my ass because I have not developed this instinct yet and did not jump off in time.
Totally. But until you get that sorted knowing you can jump off back as a bail out is really useful for finding that balance point.
If you’re on clips then I’d imagine the fear of not being able to bail out would work against you.
That’s the way I practised anyway. Got comfy bailing out so I knew without thinking about it that if I didn’t grab that back brake quick enough I wasn’t going to end up on my ass. Which if on clips you would.
Ymmv

Scotty T

Walks the walk
I started out riding on flats, tried out clips near the start of this year. Gotta say I really prefer clips. Been trying to jump since i started riding and I feel safer on the clips than on the flats.
Jumping is safer on clips if you don't get out of shape and unclip in the air, then it's a lot less safe. The tendency jumping on flats is once you get it you'll rarely ever have a foot come off the pedal in the air unintentionally. Jumping on clips though you get lazy and lift with the clips. I run my clips really loose and the two stacks I've had in the past three or so years were on tiny bump jumps being lazy lifting with the cleats and coming undone in mid air.

Manuals are hard either way. I've been working on the brake thing but I always grab too much of a handful at the tipping point and slam the front wheel back down, because too scared of not grabbing enough.

Berms too, it's so easy to throw a foot out and rail a tight berm at warp speed with flats, my PR on Luge at Stromlo was a flats ride, I've only gotten within 5 seconds of it since, need to take em out for another run.

SF Trailboy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Flats involve more body language to get your weight right. It helps imo with your overall riding.

Personally I don’t do clips but don’t buy cheap flat pedals and shit shoes.

If 510s are hard to come by Aftons are good but take about 5 rides to wear in.

hellmansam

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Coming back after a 25 year break from MTB, I used to ride SPD's but was feeling pretty rusty so I was using some el cheapo flats with sneakers. Came across some YouTube vids on bunny hops etc that mentioned clips being a poor substitute for the good technique. Got some flat specific shoes (Giro Riddance) and they were a revelation. Then got some decent pedals (OneUp Composite) and was impressed with how much better the combo is than what I was using previously. I'm still pretty crap at manuals and bunnyhops though...

Isaakk

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Manuals are hard either way. I've been working on the brake thing but I always grab too much of a handful at the tipping point and slam the front wheel back down, because too scared of not grabbing enough.
Manuals/wheelies are the only things that truly terrify me still with clips after being a flats rider until only recently. I just can't grasp the concept of feathering the rear brake to prevent going over backwards, and have had one too many falls on to my back to keep trying.

Scotty T

Walks the walk
Manuals/wheelies are the only things that truly terrify me still with clips after being a flats rider until only recently. I just can't grasp the concept of feathering the rear brake to prevent going over backwards, and have had one too many falls on to my back to keep trying.
Then you see dudes who are so good at it and confident they go past the tipping point several times and bring it back, all while clipped in. Fcukers!

Chriso_29er

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I ride clips and still seam to have no issue bailing out. I'd think someone riding 15 years clipped would be very good getting out of SPDs by now?

But, what ever makes you feel confident to progress your riding. I've done one ride in flats in the last 4 years, it was because I wanted to try a very steep feature that I was sure would send me over the bars. Just wanted to be able to jump off the bike if required.