Clipless or get less crap?

Jesterarts

Likes Dirt
Gentlemen,

So I am thinking about going clip-less, on the back of peer pressure from mates and also my shameful efforts at YY the other week.

But I am at a bit of a crossroads at the moment, with there being too options that I rate equality.

Option 1: Bite the bullet and go clipless
Option 2: Get some Saints and get better

Essentially, my reservation about going clipless is that I will just end up masking my technique flaws to get better in the air rather than addressing it.

Thus why option 2 is to get some Saint pedals (Had them on a previous bike and felt glued to the pedal) and keep working on my technique.

My goal is really to be able to develop more control in the air and eliminate those moments I have now and then where my foot will become unsettled over rough terrain.

jarrod839

Banned
I just went clipless and funny enough rode them for the first time at the cressy descent and second run down got stuck in at the bottom and fell over and fractured a bone in my hand.

Not putting u off trying them as there are definitely a advantage riding with them.
Make sure you are truly confident with your skill level and invest in some decent clips and shoes.

Ive been practicing with them at tracks im confident on and keep my other shoes and flats with me aswell.

si618

Likes Dirt
Essentially, my reservation about going clipless is that I will just end up masking my technique flaws to get better in the air rather than addressing it.
+1

Where are you going wrong - feet coming off the pedals, getting pitched forward on jumps?

If your feet are coming off, you may just need to relax more.
If you're getting pitched forward, you may be leaning too far back.

I rode clipless for many years never realised how shit I was until I went to flats, and had both these problems.

I still suck, just less than before :) It sounds odd, but I feel more connected to my bike and more balanced riding flats.

eliminate those moments I have now and then where my foot will become unsettled over rough terrain.
Dropping your heels is good for when it gets rough.

Nukeproof also do decent pedals for around the same coin, and they're thinner than saints, although the pins aren't as nice.

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
My goal is really to be able to develop more control in the air and eliminate those moments I have now and then where my foot will become unsettled over rough terrain.
You need clips, no question. I run clips purely to have my feet in the same spot every time I ride; thats one less thing to have on my mind when riding any sort of trail.
Oh and trust me, the commonly thrown around suggestion of "you can't get your foot out when you're crashing" is said by mongs who shouldn't be riding clips. At any angle other than what you're doing on an upright bike, you foot will come out easily. ;)

moorey

call me Mia
You need clips, no question. I run clips purely to have my feet in the same spot every time I ride; thats one less thing to have on my mind when riding any sort of trail.
Oh and trust me, the commonly thrown around suggestion of "you can't get your foot out when you're crashing" is said by mongs who shouldn't be riding clips. At any angle other than what you're doing on an upright bike, you foot will come out easily. ;)
How ARE your injuries, btw? :behindsofa:

Personally, my feet never come off, and I've never once had to think about where my feet are. Sounds like a problem for people who need a tattoo on the back of their hand saying 'first pants, THEN shoes'...

nick82

Likes Bikes
Most situations yes, bang on. I had the Shimano clips where you can pull out even if you pull up vertically, they wont help if you are getting flung over the bars and the bike follows you. First thing I landed on was head, never going clipless again. Flats and 5.10s all the way.

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
How ARE your injuries, btw? :behindsofa:

Personally, my feet never come off, and I've never once had to think about where my feet are. Sounds like a problem for people who need a tattoo on the back of their hand saying 'first pants, THEN shoes'...
My current injuries and their cause:

-Crushed windpipe during a basketball game
-Bruised shoulder blade from drifting madcore into a small tree that caught my hand and lobbed me sideways on a scenic shared path / cycleway.
-Sore third toe nail from trimming the nail back too far.
-A small ache in my lower back from supporting the weight of my large testicles that give me the extra incentive to keep riding downhill trails that are too steep for Garmin products to register the rise and fall of a trail.

Sounds to me like those that rag on clips are victim's of fashion and prefer to that to functionality and can't actually ride trails that require some extra effort and skill. :llama:

Most situations yes, bang on. I had the Shimano clips where you can pull out even if you pull up vertically, they wont help if you are getting flung over the bars and the bike follows you. First thing I landed on was head, never going clipless again. Flats and 5.10s all the way.
The clips aren't the reason you've crashed though. Your body will feel the same pain regardless of your choice of footwear.

moorey

call me Mia

-Bruised shoulder blade from drifting madcore into a small tree that caught my hand and lobbed me sideways on a scenic shared path / cycleway.
-A small ache in my lower back from supporting the weight of my large testicles that give me the extra incentive to keep riding downhill trails that are too steep for Garmin products to register the rise and fall of a trail.

Sounds to me like those that rag on clips are victim's of fashion and prefer to that to functionality and can't actually ride trails that require some extra effort and skill. :llama:
"Current injuries". :wink:
"fashion victim" for 40 years and counting. :woot:
My inability to ride well can be attributed to many factors, none of them pedal related. You monster. :pout:

nick82

Likes Bikes

The clips aren't the reason you've crashed though. Your body will feel the same pain regardless of your choice of footwear.
The other two times over the bars without clips, I have landed on my feet. Second time had witnesses because I nearly landed on the bloke who crashed in front of me ;)

Ezkaton

Eats Squid
I think you just need to practice and 'GIT GUD'.
Session smaller jumps with less of a 'kick' than the final Cressy table you binned it on.

Maybe the top two jumps after the right hander berm? Just use that as a method of improving how you use your body and feet to stay stuck to the bike. :)
One of those Alpine Gravity skills courses out at Youies might benefit you greatly as well... not only with jumping, but riding in general.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Gentlemen,

So I am thinking about going clip-less, on the back of peer pressure from mates and also my shameful efforts at YY the other week.

But I am at a bit of a crossroads at the moment, with there being too options that I rate equality.

Option 1: Bite the bullet and go clipless
Option 2: Get some Saints and get better

Thus why option 2 is to get some Saint pedals (Had them on a previous bike and felt glued to the pedal) and keep working on my technique.

Get the flats (with narrow long pins!), get some nice shoes, ride more, relax on the bike more...
- in the air is a mind thing. Know you are in control. Pick your launch spot before you get to it, spot your landing, line up the run out...keep the bike under control with your upper body, and don't get fidgety with your feet.
- rough terrain requires float...trust your suspension, soft arms and legs in the chunder, pop off the ground where you can.

If you're really lucky Dozer will jar up some sweat and post it to you. Put 2 drops per litre in your water for each ride. You'll shred! Also try 1 drop under your tongue before "bed time", your consenting other adult (or hand) won't know what hit them.

I am surprised theyet you on the basketball court with your clips on. Most stadiums insist on non-marking soles.

Clipping toe nails too short sucks balls, but again a clip was involved...just saying.

lindz1817

Likes Dirt
I think most would agree that using clipless pedals to mask technique shortfalls in the air isn't really helping yourself. I went clipless recently and found I liked that once you're in, you're in and never find yourself needing to re adjust your foot position. I also found it helped give me more confidence going faster in rougher terrain (rock gardens and rooty sections etc) particularly on a hardtail as I feel more connected to the bike. Never had a problem with my feet coming off before though so maybe it's just all in my head. It helps a bit for steep climbing, but otherwise not a huge noticeable difference pedalling and don't notice a difference jumping. That's my experience with the switch.

Last edited:

EsPeGe

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Whilst I'm not gun and don't ride clipless on my mtb (do on the hybrid though) I reckon you need to work out how you ride a bit. Personally I move my feet a lot particularly when leaning the bike over into a berm or turn. I shred my shoes doing so but I point my inside knee in the direction I want to go and pivot my feet a little into the turn and find I corner faster this way. So for most of my riding clipless pedals don't suit me. In the air, IMO you need to rethink things. I don't believe clipless pedals will "improve" your air skills. You will adjust and get better if you get them but you will with flats with practice. Besides, Brandon Semenuk and Co don't seem to need em. Whilst you aren't (I'm making an assumption here) riding the way they are it does show that you don't need clipless. You need to work out what works for you, how and where you ride, your style and what you want to achieve.

My 2C's worth hope it makes some sense.

Hellyeah

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Keep-it-real-and-stay-on-flats

Hanging-a-foot-off-moto-style-in-long-drifty-corners-is/looks-the-bees-knees