clipless pedals

DeBloot

Feeling old
try the Shimano XT egg beaters........been ridding them for years, love them QUOTE

Shimano XT's and egg beaters (crank bros) are 2 different pedals

Anyway
I use XT's with Shimano M182 shoes - great combo
XT's much better than the M454's (I think) with the platform that I used previously
I'm amazed how fast I can unclip during a dismount without even thinking.
Having said that I still have the very occasional slow/ no speed fall sideways :p
Embarrassing but WTF

Bear in mind that new cleats and pedals will be harder to clip out of when they are new. Easier once they have worn in a bit.

BTY, Shimano pedals allow tension adjustment (allen key) whereas egg beaters (or CB's in general) don't
I think with crank Bros you need to turn the cleat around on the shoe for different engagement tensions.
I've never used them so not 100% sure

Last edited:

mtb-gf

Squid
i just started on clip ins...won a set of crank brothers candy pedals at the sydney fat tyre festival...so the bf bought me some shimano shoes and off we went to the oval for a practice run. Only fell over once..but at least i was laughing harder than bf was :p

next day we went out to terry hills to ride...i figured the platforms would go back on...but no clip ins it is and will be forever! and they are great. love the candys!! pretty well priced at about 100 bucks!

get up hills easier too :) :)

wrk_sux

Squid
Crank bros you swap the cleat over to the other shoe, well with mine you do and it will "feel" harder or not something to do with legs will feel the same either hard or soft on one shoe and vice versa on the other

harmonix1234

Eats Squid
This advise was passed on to me by the shop staff when I got my first clipless setup and it's some of the best advice I have ever been given.

Always unclip at the bottom of the stroke. That's it!

This way you have more leverage than if your ankle is up near your top tube of your frame and it will stop unwanted hookups and panicky flailings as you race to unclip before you topple over.
The same goes for clipping in. Always at the bottom of the stroke.

When using them to start with, I have heard of people riding with one clipless and one normal pedal until you get a feel for them so if you panic you can always just step off with one foot.

Once you have ridden three or four times clipless you will have it down pat and never look back. You get so much more power and control.

Hope this helps!