Clipless Shoe Types

NetBiker

Likes Bikes
I have the 661 Filter SPD skate shoe style clip in shoes which have been pretty good to learn on and are good to walk in too. I was reading in Aust mountain bike magazine about the 3 different types of shoe, comfort (im guessing what I have, look like walking shoes), trail (xc slimline style) and race (roadie style).

Just wondering as my riding is progressing and I now have a new all mountain bike would buying a set of trail style shoes that have really stiff bottoms provide some benefit. Im guessing they would be lighter, stiffer and would dry if they got wet? Would I notice a difference from what I currently have? Any suggestions on brands/models or am I just as well off sticking with what I have.

pharmaboy

Eats Squid
I have the 661 Filter SPD skate shoe style clip in shoes which have been pretty good to learn on and are good to walk in too. I was reading in Aust mountain bike magazine about the 3 different types of shoe, comfort (im guessing what I have, look like walking shoes), trail (xc slimline style) and race (roadie style).

Just wondering as my riding is progressing and I now have a new all mountain bike would buying a set of trail style shoes that have really stiff bottoms provide some benefit. Im guessing they would be lighter, stiffer and would dry if they got wet? Would I notice a difference from what I currently have? Any suggestions on brands/models or am I just as well off sticking with what I have.
fwiw, i have a pair of softe soled specialized shoes, and a pair of $200 spesh shoes that are much stiffer soled. is there a difference? in feel, yes, in performance, possibly, but too small to quantify

indica

Serial flasher
I have only ever used the more Trail / Race style shoes. I do a lot of hike a bike and you pretty soon forgwt what shoes you have. I am only on my third pair.
First were Gaerne race type shoes which lasted 8+ years, my shimanos have just dies after another 8 years and been replaced by shimano M077s.

I am certain the stiffness of the sole will feel different to you, I'd say go for it.

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
Its much of a muchness. I used to use Shimano M161's for any mountain bike riding other than downhill as I was using Shimano MP66's for downhill (similar to your 661's). I then got new shoes for downhill and started using the MP66's for my trail riding and have been more comfortable with my feet dry more of the ride than with the ventilated shoes. The flat soled shoes don't grip anything on the trail when you're off the bike but the M161's do as they have studs and blades to give you grip when walking. However, the M161's aren't good walking shoes if you need to get any further than the distance that you were thrown off your bike so I say stick with your 661's. If you feel the need to upgrade that style of shoe, grab the latest Shimano style of this shoe http://tbsm.com.au/apparel/cycling-shoes/shoes-cleated-mtb/shimano-mtb-spd-shoes-am45-black-8027 I now use this shoe for downhill and it is a way more comfortable and drier version of the MP66's.
If you can afford it, go for a Specialized shoe. They are bloody comfy if you get the right fit but are pricey.
I've found a more flexible sole has been more comfortable than a totally stiff sole. I have also found buying the next size up and fitting an extra inner sole in the shoe has made me ride longer without sore feet.

XYGTHO

Likes Dirt
Also been womdering myself but going from flats to some type of clipless show/pedal for my fklat bar I ride to work to start with just to feel the difference. What is a good cheap way to start?

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
Also been womdering myself but going from flats to some type of clipless show/pedal for my fklat bar I ride to work to start with just to feel the difference. What is a good cheap way to start?
Have a look at the Shimano stuff. An entry level shoe shouldn't be any more than $60 if you look at the right site. A store may be dearer than that and you'll want to try some on first. You don't want them too tight or it'll suck!

Loneryda

Likes Bikes
I use shimano AM 50's & 51's clipped in. Their A.M. boots with a mid cut, as stiff as you'd want them with ankle protection,toe studs and tough toe caps, they are slightly wider than shimano's XC shoes, way tougher and the 51's do the footbed thing like the spesh brand, they even have soft rubber pads on the sole for walking and for those, "not clipped in" moments.

dirtpig

Likes Bikes
I have had a pair of shoes with a rigid sole for a year now, before that I always had softer SPD shoes. There are two main things that I have noticed that are different:

1. the rigid shoes are more comfortable on the bike, no hot spot around the cleat area.
2. they are not great off the bike, walking around in and especially negotiating rocky/slimey/rooty sections of trail.

I think in most cases 1 outways 2.