Clipless shoes info

Discussion in 'Parts 'n Stuff' started by monty60, Apr 12, 2017.

1. monty60

monty60 Cannon Fodder

Hey all,
    Quick question on shoes, after a new pair.
    Are shimano still tightest fitting, narrowest out there ? (that's what I'm after)
    Looking at mo89 possibly xc51. Mostly trail riding/enduro. Will use on road bike for a little training as well.
    Any info greatly appreciated.
    Michael.

2. BT180

BT180 Eats Squid

I just bought some ME7s and they are definitely on the narrow side when compared to my previous pairs of Sidis and 5-10s.

3. Flow-Rider

Flow-Rider Eats Squid

Anything to do with XC or Road is always on the thin side of life. Shimano used to offer a (wide fit) range shoe but don't see much around anymore.

4. monty60

monty60 Cannon Fodder

Yeah thanks mate, the me7 look good too, might think about those as well.

5. ozzybmx

ozzybmx Likes Bikes and Dirt

Just to throw a spanner in, my Shimano R321 road shoes are probably one of the most generous wide fitting shoes I own.

6. Nambra

Nambra Likes Dirt

I have a pair of M089's and also have relatively wide feet too. They are a narrow shoe compared to my non-cycling shoes, but I can't comment on their width relative to other brands of cycling shoes. My feet sometimes get a bit numb but I've worked out that it's usually because I've over-tightened the straps. They're a pretty solid shoe too.

7. Zaf

Zaf Likes Bikes and Dirt

With Shimano you need to buy them in their E sizing for wide feet. Admittedly, my shimano E sizing shoes are some of the best fitting shoes I have, but not all models are offered in it. Otherwise, Pearl Izumi trail range of shoes have a generous toe box to them, but I hear if you go into their XC range you get the small sizing issues again, same story for Northwave shoes.

For me, every 5.10 I've worn in a 44.5, Shimano 45E and Pearl Izumi 45's fit my feet really well. I've also thrown on a mate's Specialized Cliplites in a size 45, and they were snug, but not uncomfortable, so if you've got the money they might be another good option on the table. I measure 280mm from heel to toe and about 110mm across the widest part of my foot for reference there.