Clipless shoes

Yet1

Likes Dirt
Apologies if there is already a thread on this, i had a quick look and didnt see anything...

In the market for some new clipless shoes - previously had a pair of carnac shoes which I used for about 8 years before they died. I replaced them with Sidi Dominators which I never liked as much - never as comfy as the carnacs and the sole was to too hard and would be slippery when you are hiking your bike over rocks/hard clay etc. Now looking at getting some new shoes, but dont know where to start! Carnacs seem hard to come by, have also seen the new Mavic shoes which look really nice. Any feedback on your shoes would be good. I do mainly XC/AM style riding.

harmonix1234

Eats Squid
Shimanos are great.
They suit my foot shape really well which is wide and flat. And plenty of room on the bottom for cleat forward or rearward positioning.
Tough too.

Mywifesirrational

I however am very normal. Trust me.
Firstly you need to decide whether you want performance or comfort?

Performance being a completely rigid sole that transfers force effective, or a shoe that is very comfortable to ride and also walk in, but will tend to have a lot more flex in the sole.

I personally like a shoe like the North wave mission, little flexy, very comfortable to wear and walk in, vibram sole so its great in hike a bike sections. Using a SPD like the xt trail pedals means flex is not a real issue, but you notice it.

So many good shoes out there, your feet need to try a few on, before deciding.

Art Vanderlay

Hourly daily
Mavic Razors

I have been sporting a pair of mavic razors for just over a year now (not the new model). Very comfortable shoe, I have had no troubles or issues. Maybe a little heavy for racing if you are into the weight saving thing. So yeah, I highly recommend them. I think the new models are cheaper than the last (hopefully the quality hasn't dropped). I use my shoes with CB eggbeaters and all good.

prophesier

Likes Bikes
+1 to the Mavic Razors, so much more comfortable, lighter and grippy than Sidi dominators. The new model of Mavics that replaced the Razor is the Rush.