Clips 'vs' Flats :: Pro's and Con's

mike-

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Clips 'vs' Flats

I'm doing a bit of a thread about each, describe them,pro's and con's of each but yeah, I'm not saying what is BETTER, but more giving you reasons to make your own decision.

Flats:

A pedal, generally made of metal, sometimes made of plastic, and your foot just sits on it, pretty simple ;)

Pro's

• Easy to get feet on (eg. coming out of a corner where you put your foot down).
  • Easy to take your feet off (eg. In a corner or bailing).
  • Simple, require little maintaince or work.
  • Generally slightly cheaper.
  • Can use any shoe.

Con's

• Can only push down on pedals, can't pull up aswell.
  • Can make a bike harder to pull around ('CAN').
  • Shindigs. Ouch, slipping the pedal.

Clipless Pedals (Clips)

Clipless Pedals, normally called 'Clips' are pedals that you slide your foot into a locking mechinism that hols your foot in place on the pedal, and the foot must be pushed sideways to remove it from the pedal.

Pro's

• Push 'n' Pull (Push down with one foot, while the other pulls up) Gives you more power, and acceleration.
  • Attached you to the bike, in the air this can give you the little bit nessecary to get you over that jump sometimes.
  • No shindigs, peadls stay stuck, through the rocks, corners, and at high speed, everywhere.

Con's

• Requires propper shoes.
  • More expensive.
  • Can wear alot faster and needs looking after.
  • Your stuck to your bike, so no bailing or putting feet down in corners unless you unclip, then clip back in.

After doing this, I see a pretty big list of pro's for flats, and con's for clips, but myself I ride clips when racing, just for the fact that you can get the extra power and acceleration. But pedal choice really is a person preference. Ask your buddies for a turn with their clips and see how you like it, don't let people decide for you.

Hopefully this helped some people thinking about what pedal to use.

Rage away :rolleyes:

Last edited:

bransly

Likes Dirt
ya just gotta pin it and stay strong on the bike. dont put your foot out unless you really need to. i got used to keeping my feet on very quickly..

mike-

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Haha easier said that done at times?

Whos needs a foot, god gave us all knee's right?

Just kidding, so glad this thread isn't a flame thread at clips yet :D

Viv92

Eats Squid
How can you guys DH in Clips!!!!! :eek: What if you need to bail or if you screw a jump? Your farked!!!

i like dirt

Likes Bikes and Dirt
DH in Clips would be very scary. Oh shit I'm going over the bars but I can't bail because my feet are clipped the fark in, CRASH. But the whole pull up on the pedals as well as push is really good, better pedaling.

zoli

Likes Bikes
Luckily some Pedals have both. a platform as well as a clip. I currently use this system and when I'm going riding in technical sections I don't use the clips. Is embarrasing to stop and realise you got your feet in your clips and you go crashing over :D

Bazzil ballbag

Likes Dirt
DH in Clips would be very scary. Oh shit I'm going over the bars but I can't bail because my feet are clipped the fark in, CRASH.
That is why clipless pedals have an adjustable release tension screw. Once you get used to them you can release your foot almost instantly, avoiding MOST foot stuck related crashes.

Having said all that I still prefer Flats.

leitch

Feelin' a bit rrranty
just think everyone who hasnt actually ridden DH in clips at some point should probably keep their "OMG ur stuck to the peddles!!!" comments out of here, because its simply not true.

1) when you ride clip(less) pedals, you obviously start with having some difficulty with getting your cleats in and out of the pedals, this is just normal. however, you quickly become accustomed to it, and clipping in and out becomes second nature. as a result, yes you can bail. yes you can take your feet out around corners. hell, i know a guy who can/could do supermans on his DH bike running clipless pedals.

2) clipless pedals have tension screws - you can set up how tight or loosely the pedal grips the cleats. as a result, you just set them a bit looser than usual and in any crash you have your feet will come loose. in most crashes your feet will come loose anyway, regardless of tension, as you will invariably find that your feet go through the right twisting motion to disengage the pedals.

3) the worst crashes you have as a result of using clipless pedals will not end up in you being stuck to the bike with a face full of dirt, nor will it result in you having any worse injury than a bruised ego. the worst crash i have ever had in clipless pedals has been when i was just getting used to them, and pulling up to a stop on the road bike, not being able to unclip, and just falling over sideways whilst stationary. the same goes for most users of clipless pedals.

so, i hope that put some sense into the arguments in this thread, anyone who comes up with that "stuck to the bike" argument is really just naive and obviously has never tried riding in clips before.

lopes

Squid
The best way to assess if clips or flats is best is to look at the pointy end of elite dh races worldwide.

If there is no clear trend, then it just comes down to personal preference.

bransly

Likes Dirt
The best way to assess if clips or flats is best is to look at the pointy end of elite dh races worldwide.

If there is no clear trend, then it just comes down to personal preference.
yes but people like rennie are sponnoed by five10 so it would be hard to go back to clips if he wished..

Nebuchernezzer

Likes Dirt
Perhaps, however i think part of the reason that such riders are sponsored by 5-10 is that they use flats already.
I can't see a racer keeping a minor sponsorship if they think that using an alternate product will win them more races.

TonyG

Likes Dirt
I ride the shimano pedals that have both a platform and clipless attachment. I find these great, but I must admit to being a bit "girlie" on technical sections. My worst stack was going down some rock steps at Manly Dam and picking the wrong line and my front wheel hit into the back of a rock while I was coming down another. Without the clips you can usually just jump the bars and try and land on your feet, generally your arse, but better than your face. My feet got stuck in the clips and I pretty much just ate the dirt on the other side of the rock. No bad damage, just winded and embarrassed. Having said that I am trying to stay clipped in as long as possible as it certainly gives you an advantage with pedaling efficiency.

L.P.

Likes Bikes and Dirt
very well said...

i have ridden with clips for a long time now, and it is in no way because of the pedalling increases that are obvious. its because at speed, over rough stuff, on the best flats with sticky shoes you can still move on the pedals, even the best riders can sometimes come unstuck. to be able to not have to worry about that on a fast section... makes me feel a lot more comfortable and keen to hit it faster again.

i have also had a few ankle problems, and landing drops when my foot isnt in the best position possible can often jarr my ankle and leave it very sore. with clipless, ive never had a problem.

kill_switch

Dead-set Idiot
clip(less)

just a quick question for all you peddle experts. why are clipless peddles called so, the word sounds like you are riding peddles without the clips and not the other way around. i now know that a lot of people just call them clips but i just wanted to know where the original name came from.

also another CON for the flat peddles
when riding with flats you use a certain amount of energy keeping you foot on the peddle. a lot of people think that clips are just more efficient because you can push and pull but its also because you don't have to constantly use energy to keep your foot in the correct position. this is all according to American MTB magazine.

cheers
Brent

Mattydv

Likes Bikes and Dirt
just a quick question for all you peddle experts. why are clipless peddles called so, the word sounds like you are riding peddles without the clips and not the other way around. i now know that a lot of people just call them clips but i just wanted to know where the original name came from.
Well technically... flat pedals are clipless as well.