Close call, too close for comfort!

Jonny26

Likes Dirt
Well I thought I would tell anyone willing to read this about my exciting commute to work this morning, currently I am in North Carolina (US) working.

Started my normal route to the office and got a couple of k's in, cruising down a 4 lane road with a medium strip that has turning lanes in it to get to adjoining housing complexes both sides, I have right of way, just to mention.

I notice as I am approaching the up coming turning lane a car on the opposite side of the road to my left waiting to cross the 4 lanes to go straight, I was puzzled but assumed he was waiting for me as I could not see anything else.

Anyway as soon I start to get into what would be the intersection a motorbike starts hooking round the corner, I realised very quickly that he had not seen me, I locked up the brakes but could not pull up in time, he was going to T bone me!

Its funny what flashes through your mind in these situations!

• This is going to hurt!

• I am going a busted leg for sure

• I will be in hospital in the US for a long time, glad I have insurance!

Luckily for me the rider saw me last second and locked the rear while steering right and must have only missed me buy a few feet! After I few seconds I yelled abuse at him, he did not stop. I think he was going too quick for the corner as he was leaning a bit and came from no where, I was actively checking the intersection for cars.

I was really mad for a few minutes, but after thinking about it I can't attribute blame, I just came over a train line going down a small hill, I assume he was looking for a car coming in that direction not a pushy close to the intersection.
I think it was just a lucky morning for me :)
Any one else had some close shaves?

Jonny26

Likes Dirt
Thanks Ham....
I am pretty sure there medium here.. Not quite large....
Thanks for pointing that out... You could have left me in my world of misunderstanding quite happily..

Jonny26

Likes Dirt
Thanks Knopey.
I do have to say that my riding here has been a very pleasant experience, drivers slow down on small roads when overtaking, even 2 lane roads (going same direction) they pull out into the other lane.
I was on a footpath and about to cross the road where a truck had pull out to see on coming traffic, he actually reversed to get out of the way so I didn't have to go around him!!
I have heard stories about bad drivers and abuse hurled at cyclists from mates who live here but I am yet to witness this myself.

MrCove

South Shore Distribution
Thanks Ham....
I am pretty sure there medium here.. Not quite large....
Thanks for pointing that out... You could have left me in my world of misunderstanding quite happily..
pretty sure you mean they're
unless you mean "they're medium there"
which would mean that their ones are bigger?

or maybe they're bigger over there?

I wouldn't like to say, i've been here and there but didn't record any data
if anyone would like to sponsor a trip there i'll make sure that they're mentioned in the credits and that i spell their name correctly

if not, then i too am in a world of misunderstanding

A

Jonny26

Likes Dirt
pretty sure you mean they're
unless you mean "they're medium there"
which would mean that their ones are bigger?

or maybe they're bigger over there?

I wouldn't like to say, i've been here and there but didn't record any data
if anyone would like to sponsor a trip there i'll make sure that they're mentioned in the credits and that i spell their name correctly

if not, then i too am in a world of misunderstanding

A
Really not worried about grammar too much at the moment, crappy day in the office that is not ending (13 hours so far..), Rotorburn was just a bit of an escape for a little while.
But thanks for the lesson, I'm glad I gave you the opportunity to nit pick.

Purt

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Glad you're ok, by the sounds of it it could have been much worse.

Never knew we had so many grammar nazi's on farkin, you guys need to chill out or go get laid or something.

Knopey

Likes Dirt
Off topic a bit (but not as OT as that ^^^), did you find it really wierd and a bit dangerous getting used to riding on the RHS of the road?

When I was in Romania earlier this year, a few times I would almost ride out into an intersection because there was no car coming from the right, only to see some car, truck or (more likely) horse & cart coming up from the left. Did it take much getting used to?
I was still befuddled after 8 days :eek: Can't handle change!

Jonny26

Likes Dirt
Yeah it took me a bit and I head check a lot at intersections, looking back I find strange, I am used to looking back over my right shoulder to check for cars, looking over the left still feels alien to me.

but all in all, this is trip 8 or so to the US and I have been here for about 7 weeks now and I have been driving over here so used to being on this side, its when I get home the trouble starts!

5 weeks to go on this trip, then I have to figure how I get my new toy back, Specialized Tricross, but that is another thread :)