CLOSURE - An entrancing question

Caron Trance 2 or Alloy Trance 1

• Total voters

stinkytodamax

Likes Dirt
Edit: Stuffed up the Poll should be Alloy Trance 1.

Hello Burners,

The time has come for a new steed to be added to the stable.

I raced my 1st Enduro on my 100mm Santa Cruz earlier this year and loved it. I'm going to keep 26/650b FrankenBlur SC for XC duties but want a bike with a bit more travel to go race some other Enduro type events & generally enjoy the DH aspect of trail riding more now the kids have reduced my training time for XC.

The 140mm of the Trance fits that bill and my LBS that stocks Giant is very helpful and friendly.

I've got $3.5-$4k as well as a set of Stans Arch wheels I can pinch from the Blur. The question is do I get the Carbon front end model with its X7, Sektor and RT shock and use my arch's or do I get the Alloy 1 with SLX, revelations, Carbon wheels and RT3? I've got no cash in the tin for upgrades so what I get will be it for the near future.

http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-au/bikes/model/trance.advanced.27.5.2/18976/76557/#specifications

http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-au/bikes/model/trance.27.5.1/18975/76559/#specifications

Getting the $3.5k carbon would let me use the arch's as the wheel upgrade and maybe in a year I could get X fusion Sweeps but the Alloy 1 doesn't look to need any further upgrades and has the better shock and my preference for Shimano brakes.

Anyone else had this same situation?

P.S. I wanted to buy a turner but that might have to wait till my 40th!

Last edited:

fedor346

Likes Dirt
re: which bike

Hey stinky,
I vote the trance 27.5.1 since you're not doing upgrades.... sure you couldn't sneak pikes in there ;-)
Also with those carbon wheels I'm betting the bike will be the faster of the 2.
cheers,
Gav

stinkytodamax

Likes Dirt
Hey stinky,
I vote the trance 27.5.1 since you're not doing upgrades.... sure you couldn't sneak pikes in there ;-)
Also with those carbon wheels I'm betting the bike will be the faster of the 2.
cheers,
Gav
Thanks Gav

unfortunatley pikes aren't an option in my near future but maybe in 12-18 months but it's hard to justify.

JP

blacksp20

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Out of the two bikes I'd go for the alloy. I prefer Shimano drivetrain and brakes over SRAM and Avid but that's a personal choice.

The Revelation will be a better fork than the Sektor. RT3 is better than RT in the rear. The best thing the alloy version has, that appeals to me, is the 142x12 rear axle. 9mm QR has no place on a mountain bike. Through axle or GTFO. Carbon rims are the icing on the cake.

Buy the alloy.

blacksp20

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Also, nothing wrong with x-fusion forks as an upgrade. I have Slants that replaced Sektor RL. Much stiffer and better controlled fork.

teK--

Eats Squid
Get the Trance 1. The entry level carbons are very lackluster in equipment spec. Particularly the drivetrain, fork, and shock. Pretty much everything is worse for a lousy 300g or so weight saving on the front triangle.

stinkytodamax

Likes Dirt
Get the Trance 1. The entry level carbons are very lackluster in equipment spec. Particularly the drivetrain, fork, and shock. Pretty much everything is worse for a lousy 300g or so weight saving on the front triangle.
I figured the Alloy being raw may even bring the weight discrpency down.

stinkytodamax

Likes Dirt
Get the Pikes if you can, get them into that spec somehow.
http://www.bike-discount.de/en/buy/...7,5-tapered-15ml-160mm-blue-255179/wg_id-8718

$650ish you can even get the RC damped Pike (with the charger Damper you just run it open all the time anyway, so the RCT3 isn't entirely needed). Seriously, the difference in how the bike behaves from having a Pike upfront can't be overstated.

Only problem is clashing colour scheme with Blue forks.
Hey Zaf

I'm not saying no to Pikes but I'm still trying to decide on what model Trance to get before the upgrades are even given thought.

stinkytodamax

Likes Dirt
Also, nothing wrong with x-fusion forks as an upgrade. I have Slants that replaced Sektor RL. Much stiffer and better controlled fork.
Good to know. Does make getting the carbon which is $500 cheaper a viable option.

Buggered if I know how much stiffer/better the carbon front end is in reality.

udi

swiss cheese
I've seen heaps of new XT (and SLX) brakes spring leaks at the caliper seals now, I don't think they are actually worth swaying a decision over. I haven't had positive experiences with Avid in the past, but with due respect, most changes on the new Guide brake appear to be targeted at reliability and given the ~70% failure rate I've personally seen on the current Shimano items, I'd say the Guides are a better option anyway.

Everything else on the alloy bike is probably nicer, particularly the XT cranks which have a far nicer interface than competing offerings - but these are a cheap upgrade in the future anyway. I think the main point of difference in spec is the fork, and with the amount people are spending on this new Enduro craze (and having the latest and greatest being of great importance), you could potentially pick up something very reasonably priced off the second hand market in the future anyway.

You also get a frame that'll potentially be worth more in the future, and more enticing to build upon instead of replacing. I'd get the carbon, but with that said (and Giant's support in Australia) I don't think you can go wrong either way.

bowtajzane

Likes Dirt
Get the Turner. ......
I can't believe the crap spec on the carbon, shouldn't it be better than the ally one ?
You should ask yourself which frame,shock, ,fork will best suit the riding you'll be doing
as they are the main parts to any good bike. ......
so maybe the ally one will be the best bet. ......
Did I mention getting the Turner. .....:whistle:

needaride

Likes Dirt
Get the alloy for sure, those rims are way better and lighter than the ones on the carbon. Forks are way better. XT crank & rear derailleur. SLX gear is sweet. Suspension on the alloy is superior.

BigRay

Likes Bikes
Go the alloy, better spec than the carbon and since you're looking at doing
more enduros and their more gravity focussed the little bit of weight difference
probably won't really be noticed but the better specced components will be able
to handle the rigours better.....

Mywifesirrational

I however am very normal. Trust me.
My exact thoughts as well.

Particularly the forks and looks like the wheels as well.

Will31

Likes Bikes
I went for the Alloy 1, loving it so far, the wheels feel great.

Whichever one you go for I'd seriously consider getting the dropper post swapped out for something else, I went with a Reverb Stealth but any of the popular posts would be better than the Giant one, I demoed the 2014 and 2015 Trance and on both bikes the seat post clamp would when I got on the nose or tail of the saddle, and I'm not a big guy (67kg).