Clunky (Clicky??!!) right crank

dave3107

Likes Bikes
My 08' Giant Trance X1 has a clicking right crank which is driving me NUTS!:mad:
I guess it could be the BB, but I don't think so. It clicks every time I crank it and (I think) seems worse when it is hot. I had the whole bike stripped, greased, etc and it went away for a while, but it still comes and goes (mostly comes!)
Should I get a new BB / cranks / bike!:p ??
All parts are original from 08'
Any suggestions?
Cheers!

tidlibitz

Likes Dirt
dont know if this helps you but i have some profile bmx cranks on my bike and everytime i was climbing up a hill or just generally stomping the pedals, when the left crank arm went round it made a click when the cranks were horiszontal and i found out that it was the right arm just clipping the chainstays when the frame flexes so i just chucked on anuther spacer and off i went

MARKL

Eats Squid
Just to check, RaceFace cranks?

If you move the crank arm in and out by hand can you feel/hear it move?

Assuming that the answer is yes, your cranks are completely stuffed and good for nothing but the garbage bin. I have a set lying around in my garage from a mates 2008 Reign which had the same problem. Basically if the two bolts that tighten up against each other aren't torqued properly you get a tiny bit of movement and the soft metal in the crank arms gets worn and presto dead cranks. We fitted Shimano SLX as a replacement, easy job, lighter stronger better.

Hi Dave,
I recently had a similar noise in the crank area of my 08 Stumpjumper Expert (Shimano cranks). I thought it was the bottom bracket, but after disassembling, checking and regreasing, the noise was still there. It drove me nuts.... I checked/lubed/tightened everything but no luck.
Eventually I discovered the pin that fits into the outer chainring and goes across to the R.H. crank arm was not sitting at right angles. I gave it a tap with a hammer and punch to realign it and BINGO: noise gone!! I can only assume the slight flex in that area caused the noise.
I hope this is of some help.
Wayne