Clutches aren't all equal?

Mafra

Likes Bikes
info on the clutch spare part is fantasic - thank you very much.

Seems to be that google is letting me down on finding anywhere that has them in stock - anyone able to point me in the direction and/or of a search strategy that's going to help!

PerthMTB

Likes Dirt
info on the clutch spare part is fantasic - thank you very much.

Seems to be that google is letting me down on finding anywhere that has them in stock - anyone able to point me in the direction and/or of a search strategy that's going to help!
Here's two places I've bought them before, but you're right - both are out of stock at the moment - sorry!

http://www.bike-components.de/products/info/p38237_Nockeneinheit-fuer-RD-M820---RD-M786---RD-M675---RD-M640---RD-M615.html

http://bicikli.de/shop/SHIMANO-spare-part-Y-5Y198120-RD-M786-CAM-UNIT-Shimano-Code-Y5Y198120_2

Not really surprising as there's a lot of these failing and people are starting to just replace the cam unit themselves rather than bother sending the whole thing back for warranty.

Have you tried asking your LBS to order one through the Australian Shimano distributor? Or are they out of stock also...

DMan

shawly the least hangeriest guy on rotorburn
So to tighten the clutch slightly in a zee is it as simple as tightening the little bolt under the clutch cover?

teK--

Eats Squid
How much? Half a turn? I don't want to overdo it....
I suggest tighten it only 1/4 to 1/3 a turn at a time.

If you really have to crank the clucth lever get it to the ON position then you have overdone it. Or if you break your thumb trying to change gears it's also too much :)

Mafra

Likes Bikes
Here's two places I've bought them before, but you're right - both are out of stock at the moment - sorry!

http://www.bike-components.de/products/info/p38237_Nockeneinheit-fuer-RD-M820---RD-M786---RD-M675---RD-M640---RD-M615.html

http://bicikli.de/shop/SHIMANO-spare-part-Y-5Y198120-RD-M786-CAM-UNIT-Shimano-Code-Y5Y198120_2

Not really surprising as there's a lot of these failing and people are starting to just replace the cam unit themselves rather than bother sending the whole thing back for warranty.

Have you tried asking your LBS to order one through the Australian Shimano distributor? Or are they out of stock also...
Cheers - glad I wasn't going mad and they're actually out of stock.

No haven't as yet, will follow that up with him this week - really only decided to do something about it reading this thread on Friday night.

thanks again.

DMan

I'm a bit confused. Looking at the clutch wouldn't releasing that little bolt allow the spring to open a little and put more pressure on the system? So do you release the bolt a little or tighten it a little?

Attachments

Last edited:

silentbutdeadly

has some good things to say
Tighten it carefully when the switch is off. You'll feel the added resistance in the switch when you switch it on. The bolt puts pressure on the band and the switch lever puts even more...

The result of tightening mine a quarter turn produced a far more satisfactory result. Much less banging about with the chain only slapping on the top of the chainstay if I don't have sufficient pedal pressure on the chain.

DMan

Thank you gents. Just what I was chasing. Vegan milkshake on me Moorey.

DMan

I turned the bolt in further almost 3/4 of a turn and really haven't noticed a lot of increased tension/resistance? ! Thoughts? I've left it at that by the way..

PerthMTB

Likes Dirt
I turned the bolt in further almost 3/4 of a turn and really haven't noticed a lot of increased tension/resistance? ! Thoughts? I've left it at that by the way..
If you really want to know how much to tighten it, use a torque wrench in the centre of the drum to measure the actual friction being exerted by the clutch. See Shimano diagram below but substitute torque wrench with a 4mm hex bit for the allen key. Then adjust, check, repeat until you get within the torque specs for your model of RD...

Clutch.JPG

If tightening that bolt still doesn't increase the tension then it might be that your cam unit has already failed - and no amount of tightening will work. Check the cam bracket - here's what it looks like when they fail...

Broken clutch.jpg

Last edited:

teK--

Eats Squid
If you really want to know how much to tighten it, use a torque wrench in the centre of the drum to measure the actual friction being exerted by the clutch. See Shimano diagram below but substitute torque wrench with a 4mm hex bit for the allen key. Then adjust, check, repeat until you get within the torque specs for your model of RD...

View attachment 294531

If tightening that bolt still doesn't increase the tension then it might be that your cam unit has already failed - and no amount of tightening will work. Check the cam bracket - here's what it looks like when they fail...

View attachment 294529
Thanks

Just to clarify, stick torque wrench 4mm in the clutch centre, and set wrench for righthand (normal) threads, put finger on the tab, then pull the derailleur arm forward and measure the torque?