Coffs Downhill race Sunday October 11th 2009 results!

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
Coffs Downhill hosted another ripper of a day on Sunday 11th October on Mt Coramba. Fifteen riders trusted themselves to believe the overnight rain wasn’t coming back and Sunday should go ahead as planned. Thanks to everyone for taking notice of the rego times and getting in before the 9.30am cut off time, it is much appreciated! Some people still see it fit to show up to race as we are starting timed runs and even make an extra effort to complain about the cost! We will happily do without that crap thanks!
I imagined the track would’ve been a little bit wetter and even a bit more slippery as the wind during the week would’ve bought all sorts of slippery crud down. Well, I thought the track was dry and super grippy, a total opposite to what I’d pictured. Thanks to Troy for upgrading our beloved table top and making the entry to the off camber section a little more entertaining, nice work digger.
Practice went to plan with the usual shuttle brigade doing their awesome job. Thanks to Ventoux Cycles for the van, thanks to the Bromley’s for the trailer and thanks to our drivers, your efforts are very much a huge part of the day and it doesn’t happen without it.
A couple of new faces had a few runs and we welcome them to our club, we hope to see you back and enjoying yourself real soon.
The action heated up near lunch time with a change of sorts with the junior guys heading down first. This gave them a chance to watch everyone arrive at the finish for a change. Joel Anderson continued his charge and took the honors ahead of Jake Bromley ……………..by half a second! These two have been seen spotting lines together so we can assume that they are progressing at a similar rate. Good work guys, keep on it! Liam Ellis had entered juniors but busted his bike in practice. Better luck next time Liam.
We ran a hardtail class this time around but it kind of fizzed out in the end. It has potential and I would like to keep it happening guys so let me know if you can take part in future events. Matt Wright came down in just over five minutes and took the class win. That is a quality time considering he hasn’t got any squishy stuff on the back of his bike and even your mouth guard would fall out riding down there! Nick Crawford stayed consistent and came second with Cameron Murdoch third. Derek Anderson and his son Jayden did their first ever race runs with us and finished up with a big smile. Jayden made it down on his first run and waited for his Dad to come after him later with a flat tyre! I didn’t see any cuts or bruises so assume the flat didn’t bite back!
The open category came last (that name sucks, the person who thinks of a cool name for it will get a prize) and had the usual contenders eyeing off the podium. I must say that I am very impressed with the pace some of the guys are showing lately. Everyone has made a point of telling me that their time is better each weekend, they are hitting some of the bigger lines and they are taking longer to wear their brake pads out. That is all positive stuff and you should be proud of what you’re doing. It isn’t an easy thing to commit to but it is very rewarding to overcome a big mental risk. Keep it up! James Price again rode a solid set of runs to get under five minutes, he sure is gaining momentum! Our northern regular Matt Reid is also getting faster by rolling a best time of four minutes forty two seconds. He’ll be under four thirty in no time. Mike Kennard went under the radar (….again) and finished fifth with a four thirty eight. Jordon Collon beat Mike with a narrow margin of four seconds but the winner of the usual shuttle bus battle was Hayden Elks finishing third with a solid four twenty. That is a good time, keep playing with your setup and you’ll that sweet spot. GoPro Helmet camera’s sponsored rider Troy Bromley refrained from falling and breaking the new toy (……just!) by finishing on the second step of the podium with a four eleven. His second run may have been somewhat quicker if the dirt didn’t disappear from underneath him and push him off his bike. I bet the first thing he did when he ate dirt was check the camera was okay and then check his bike was okay. No need to make sure you haven’t cut your arm off as that stuff can grow back, bike parts don’t! King Dozer whacked some of Dug’s “Harden the f#@k up” spray to his broken hand and nailed a bloody cracker! I was going to sit this one out as I am sick of re breaking my hand but as usual, a nice track got the better of me. I would like to hear the people at the top jump tell a story about how sideways I was going around the jump. I reckon I caught a glimpse of my back tyre on my left side as I slid around that turn, damn it felt good! That elation disappeared over the stump jump as it felt as though my back tyre was over my head as I got a little bit speed jump happy and nosed in too much! All went to plan everywhere else and I got home under four minutes ten seconds.
Thanks again to everyone involved. No one makes any money out of what we do (contrary to what some bafoons think) but we all find the time to get out there and make it happen. Our volunteers are our most valuable assets! Thank you very much!
Our next event is what I’d like to call our big one for the year: The 2009 Coffs Downhill Club Championships. I had the idea of doing two timed runs using both of the tracks but we have lost the use of the shorter track now because of the fires that were ever so close. I am now going to have it set so we do one single timed run to decide our positions for the year. I took note of how things rolled at the World Champs and I want to make it exclusive. You do your practice runs etc but you only get one shot at a timed run. I will also be making the finish line a little bit further away so you will have to pedal at the finish. I will get the date sorted and get it online soon! We will need to get a couple of volunteers booked in for this one so please let me know if you can arrange someone to help out for the day. I would also like to see everyone who owns a camera come up as well! Also keep in mind that the only people entering this event are regular club riders. Start training you lot! You could also look up “how to shake a champagne bottle” on the internet in case you are on the podium.
Why are you still reading this? You should be out doing sprints so you can handle the pedal I’m going to put you through!

Pricey22

Squid
Oh shit

Hey dozer and Matt ! guess what ? I broke my frame through my first run but dad didn't want break the bad news cause he knew it would screw my 2nd run. I smashed 7 secs off my first run & it was a P.B. for me. I am looking into getting a Mongoose Boot 'R 2010 model w/ rock shox boxxer race forks (2010 model) so yeah!

leftykonashred

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Hey dozer and Matt ! guess what ? I broke my frame through my first run but dad didn't want break the bad news cause he knew it would screw my 2nd run. I smashed 7 secs off my first run & it was a P.B. for me. I am looking into getting a Mongoose Boot 'R 2010 model w/ rock shox boxxer race forks (2010 model) so yeah!
wow
yeah boot'rs are nice

what about the rest of the gary fisher?

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
Hooley dooley! You are on it! Where did it break (or crack?)

ecd08

Likes Dirt
ahhh shittttt i dont wanna be coughing up blood and shit......... hahahah jokes nah thatll be sooo wicked dozer, ill be heading up there in 2 weeks for a few runs with josh button if u wanna or anyones keen let me kno and well get things happening. oh and dozer do you have the results for the previous race, just keen to see how i went and wehat time i got. cheers hayden

woooooooot go the podium placed 3rd... hahah hope to be soooooon 2nd pplace, lookout dozer hahahah oh and i did drop half my banana when u hit it out of my hand, bloody sly dog you!!1 i needed my banana!!!1
hahah:D

Faith3_Nobbi-man

Likes Dirt
yeew

Mick! ur stack was carma for pushing me into that damned shrub!!!!

yeah lads, train train train, pedal pedal pedal, ill be up coramba a bit more often now..

Last edited:

forbnmad1

Likes Bikes
you ignored the rules mate. if youre gonna stop, GET OFF THE RACE LINE!!!!:D
that bit of shrub looked good in your helmet too.

ecd08

Likes Dirt
hahahahahahha.wooot go mike you forbnmad1 shredder, soon youll be on the podium too:cool:. lol jordan you mighty dooche the bush suuits you soo much, woulda gone well with the rodent you had on your helmet hahahah
ahh cant wait for next coramba sesh
dozer tell me when ur goin up im gonna come up and u can help me with my suspension and riding style and so forth. need every little bit of help i can get to beat you you bloody sneaky sam hill er ride-a-like haha:p

Pricey22

Squid
Broken dreams

It broke on one side of the bottom bracket to the other! As for the rest of the fisher i'm going to get a replacement frame from trek and then sell it.

Pricey22

Squid
Selling

I will be selling the new bike for around $ 2500 or better , the frame is gunna be a 19' gary fisher fat possum xt most likely so if you know of anyone who wants it let me know and i'll get back to you!

joel23

Squid
Thanks Dozer! I hadn't realized that I had beaten jake by half a second! Nice read and I cant wait for the champs:D