Coffs Harbour Downhill, the end of a fine era - Updated 2015!

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
A press release of sorts from my Coffs Downhill Facebook page:
Howdy folks, it's Dozer. The Mt Coramba downhill trail is closed. Actually, it's gone. A logging operation has moved in and so far the trail from the top jump to the wasteland is non existent. The loggers have cleared what was a logging trail from a long time ago and that's buried the trail so it's no more.
I've had some amazing help with the trail over the years. The Bromley's, Al at Ventoux Cycles, Sam Collins, Frank Hall, Mike Kennard, Emily Roberts; they've all been stand outs in keeping the trail and the race scene happening. I've totally enjoyed everyone's company on the trail and thank you for any effort you've offered, it's much appreciated and I'm stoked to offer what I can. I have handled some shit though and have come across many fuckwits from all walks of life but the good times and good people have made it worthwhile.
Will I rebuild the trail? Yeah, I think I will but that's a long project so stay tuned. I've been on another project all year long and the lack of rain this year has made it hard to make improvements on the downhill trail but hey, that doesn't really matter now does it! ;)
I haven't received any notification from the Forestry telling me that the trail I've spent eleven years working on is being destroyed and that leaves a real bad taste in my mouth. I don't know how much more logging is going to be done but it's safe to assume the venue is out of action.
Thanks again folks, I hope you've enjoyed the show, I'll keep you posted on any developments and future projects that you can get involved with.

Update March 2015:
G'day, it's Dozer. The last communication you had from the local downhill scene in November last year was that the Mt Coramba venue had been logged and the trail demolished. This was all done without any notification to the permit holders (.....me) even though I'd submitted my intentions for events on that site for 2015 and beyond with some awesome projects planned.
A few days after the trail was destroyed, I severed all ties with the land managers and removed all permits as I have no intention of working with that company in the way it is currently staffed. That means you won't see any race events from me in the foreseeable future but there is good news..................
The Mt Coramba trail is back! Santa Claus did a great job of building a new line on the same terrain with the help of some very generous local elves and it's running again. There are a few parts that need some tidying up in the lower parts of the course but it's safe to say you'll be very happy with what has been created and you can enjoy it all year long for free. The shuttle road has been battered by running water but it's manageable.
I'd love to here from you if you plan to come and ride the trail again so hit the local guys up if you're in town.
Regards, Dozer.

Last edited:

Nerf Herder

Wheel size expert
You have a well balanced attitude dozer ... Considering your baby has been mowed, without anybody talking to you. Good luck with getting whatever going again.

marc.r

Likes Dirt
That sucks dozer! One of the trails (admittedly not as developed as coramba at all) around wolgoolga suffered the same fate only 3 months after it was built! Shit feeling but hopefully tnis can galvanise the community to unite to build something new! Coffs harbour region has everything it needs to become an awsome mountain bike destination.great climate, plenty of hilly state forrest and great people like yourself working hard to build the community!

dirt lover

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Make sure you post if there's going to be a dig weekend. I'm not local but if you plan it a month or more out I should be able to get work off to road trip down from Brisbane and I'm sure I wouldn't be the only one, a lot of the boys up here loved that track.

jonozrx

Likes Dirt
I'm from Canberra and totally spoilt for trails, but that Mt Coramba DH was in the top 3 I've ever ridden.

Thanks for the hard work, and I hope you get it up and running again.
Sent from my RM-941_apac_australia_new_zealand_236 using Tapatalk

.dan.

Likes Dirt
Damn, that's some shit news right there Dozer. That track was easily one of the best DH tracks i've ridden in Australia. I was thinking about heading up there for a weekend of riding this summer aswell. Hopefully you'll be able to have a new track running up there in the future.

mullan2304

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Such a shame. It as definitely one of the most enjoyable tracks to ride I've ever ridden.

Dozer, your efforts in building and maintaining the track and running races/social days/rides will not be forgotten. All the best in your future endeavors.

needaride

Likes Dirt
Devastated to hear this news. Was the first track I rode proper DH on and I've never looked back since. Definitely keen to help dig if anything happens over the Christmas holidays I'll road trip from Brisbane for it. Thanks for all the years of hard work you put in out there to give us that track Dozer!

johann

Squid
Wow that's heavy news. Like dirt lover said post if you have a dig day. There's gotta be a load of people who have appreciated the huge effort you've put into that track and are keen to help rebuild when that opportunity presents itself. If there's any other projects in the area I may be around the area this summer and always happy to jump on a shovel.

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
I've updated the first post in the thread with some good news. ;)

Update March 2015:
G'day, it's Dozer. The last communication you had from the local downhill scene in November last year was that the Mt Coramba venue had been logged and the trail demolished. This was all done without any notification to the permit holders (.....me) even though I'd submitted my intentions for events on that site for 2015 and beyond with some awesome projects planned.
A few days after the trail was destroyed, I severed all ties with the land managers and removed all permits as I have no intention of working with that company in the way it is currently staffed. That means you won't see any race events from me in the foreseeable future but there is good news..................
The Mt Coramba trail is back! Santa Claus did a great job of building a new line on the same terrain with the help of some very generous local elves and it's running again. There are a few parts that need some tidying up in the lower parts of the course but it's safe to say you'll be very happy with what has been created and you can enjoy it all year long for free. The shuttle road has been battered by running water but it's manageable.
I'd love to here from you if you plan to come and ride the trail again so hit the local guys up if you're in town.
Regards, Dozer.

binner

Hath shat hymself
comeback kid

I've updated the first post in the thread with some good news. ;)

Update March 2015:
Regards, Dozer.
so, is this a roadtrip we should plan..... :thumb: maybe tie it in with yups 10 year anniversary on RB, Farkin

fridgie

Likes Dirt
Was hoping to get down that way for Easter, if I do would be nice to be shown around. Skill level: Muppet, but eager to ride...

marc.r

Likes Dirt
Hey dozer, a couple people I know have been likeing/joining what purports to be coffs harbour mountain bike club on facebook. Is this a new entity or the same old club that is just an arm of the local roadie club?

will2

Likes Dirt
I will likely come up north and say g'day in early December as a couple of mates and myself have a road trip planned. Such good news Dozer, top effort mate!

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
Hey dozer, a couple people I know have been likeing/joining what purports to be coffs harbour mountain bike club on facebook. Is this a new entity or the same old club that is just an arm of the local roadie club?
It is nothing to do with anything other than the XC stuff and has never been part of the gravity scene. I tried to encourage them to act as a group but they don't want to branch out and progress. It is nothing to do with me and never will be and I suggest your mates unlike that page unless they want constant weather reports and trail closures and warnings about riding any trail in general. They aren't part of the cool kids. ;)

marc.r

Likes Dirt
It is nothing to do with anything other than the XC stuff and has never been part of the gravity scene. I tried to encourage them to act as a group but they don't want to branch out and progress. It is nothing to do with me and never will be and I suggest your mates unlike that page unless they want constant weather reports and trail closures and warnings about riding any trail in general. They aren't part of the cool kids. ;)
i suspected as much!