Cold forging/welding cranks

dilzy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
You mean do they cold forge cranks?

Well first off, there is no such animal as cold forging. It's called stamping and it happens everywhere, just because some bike company makes a big thing of it doesn't mean much. Technically the coke can that I am drinking now contains "cold forged" parts.

To be classified as forged, significant crystal alignment must take place IE. You hot forge a sword and beat it out.

Cranks are probable formed from stamped billets, then final machined.

mad greek

Likes Dirt
I assume you mean if your crank snaps and you can weld it back together? It's probably been done, but in the 10 or so years riding mountain bikes I haven't seen it to be honest. It's best to just go out and buy another crankset IMO

Cheers,
Theo

juliancantride

Likes Dirt
Why would anyone ever want to do that. You can but if your cranks snap you need a new BB and if you need to re grease your BB well think again.
You don't want to do it, it just happens, just wondering if it happened alot because profile had some anti seize stuff which said would stop cranks cold welding onto your spindle.

MrPlow

TMBC
For a second I thought that someone had started an informative and interesting thread on Farkin:eek: My bad, carry on.

Jon

Not Grip, OK... So don't ask!
You don't want to do it, it just happens, just wondering if it happened alot because profile had some anti seize stuff which said would stop cranks cold welding onto your spindle.
Cold welding of ferrous (iron content ) parts is sometimes called, in the trade, rust.
There is no way on earth even Josh Bender could generate enough pressure to cause permanent bonding of two steel components.

The solution is undamaged,clean components with a very thin smear of grease, torqued to the correct tension.

NCR600

Likes Dirt
Cold welding of ferrous (iron content ) parts is sometimes called, in the trade, rust.
There is no way on earth even Josh Bender could generate enough pressure to cause permanent bonding of two steel components.

The solution is undamaged,clean components with a very thin smear of grease, torqued to the correct tension.
9 replies, one sensible answer?

It can also be cause by electolytic reaction between two dissimilar metals, corrosion or "pick up", and causes all sorts of problems on any number of close toleranced parts on many different types of mechanisms.

Some sort of lubricant or retaining compound is indeed the answer here. Salvage what you can, learn the lesson and move on. No thanks to the ill considered replies.

dilzy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
9 replies, one sensible answer?

It can also be cause by electolytic reaction between two dissimilar metals, corrosion or "pick up", and causes all sorts of problems on any number of close toleranced parts on many different types of mechanisms.

Some sort of lubricant or retaining compound is indeed the answer here. Salvage what you can, learn the lesson and move on. No thanks to the ill considered replies.

No thanks to the ill considered question.