Colin Winkleman dies

Ryan

Radministrator
For those of us purely involved in mountain biking, the name might not mean much, so as a quick history lesson to the uninitiated; Colin is the current holder of the world distance record for a jump on a bicycle and a man who consistently threw down gaps and transfers so crazy that the average rider couldn't even conceive them, let alone punch them out.

Tragically, in this past week, Colin made the decision to take his own life.

Rest In Peace Colin, your life was one hell of a ride and an inspiration to everyone on two wheels. I hope the ride continues, wherever you touch down next.

To see Colin's world record jump, click this link.

Please add your message of condolence to this thread on bikeguide.org where the story originally broke or to this thread currently running on Farkin.net.

Last edited:

Robbie Mac

Black Phoenix Films
That just plain fucking hurts

I remember seeing a doco on colin how he went back to his old town and busted tricks on his old home spots. He couldn't believe how he had made it to where he was at.

I think this goes to prove that no matter where you percieve someone else to be in life that everyone has their cross to bear and no one is without trouble in their life.

It is a damn shame to see such a talented and fellow rider to everyone go in such a way.

If Rennie breaks his record later this year, lets just remember who set it, on a bmx for fucks sake.

Robbie Mac

Squidly Didly

Has Been
Staff member
Robbie Mac said:
I remember seeing a doco on colin how he went back to his old town and busted tricks on his old home spots. He couldn't believe how he had made it to where he was at.
"Expendable 3". Old but one of the best dvd's i've seen. Still puts plenty of the newbies to shame.
Robbie Mac said:
If Rennie breaks his record later this year, lets just remember who set it, on a bmx for fucks sake.
Word.

RIP Colin

hardinge915

Likes Bikes and Dirt
although only rather new to the sport.. its people like him who helped get it where it is today.

RIP Colin