Collapsed Hub Bearing Removal

deadlegs

Likes Dirt
Hey Guys,
I had a bearing collapse on my old 26er EASTON wheel set (DRIVE SIDE).
I have the replacement bearings to go in.
My question is does anyone have any DIY tricks on getting the collapsed bearing out without using a bearing puller.

cheers,
cam

Ultra Lord

Hurts. Requires Money. And is nerdy.
Heat gun? Small die grinder with a cutting disk attached (its a bitch but I have done it.)

Failing that find a mate with a tig welder and add material to the inner of the ace and try and tap it out using a screw driver. Just dont weld the race onto the hub

deadlegs

Likes Dirt
Cant get to it from the other side with a long flat head screwdriver and a hammer?
yeah i tried that but its on the free body side so its recessed and you cant get the the back edge of it.

Heat gun? Small die grinder with a cutting disk attached (its a bitch but I have done it.)

Failing that find a mate with a tig welder and add material to the inner of the ace and try and tap it out using a screw driver. Just dont weld the race onto the hub
might try the cutting disk option.

cheers!!

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
Safest option is to use blind bearing puller with correct size collete. Ring around local lbs or motorbike shops.

Dremel with diamond stone would make short work of it but need to be careful not to cut through into the hub. Should be able to deform race with jewelers screwdriver when you are almost through.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

hathill

Likes Dirt
Use the percussive technique below.

Is the bearing flush with the outside flange or recessed deeper into it?

If the latter, maybe try a couple of sharp raps onto a soft-ish block of wood to see if it will move and give you access to the back of the shell you can then tap out with an appropriate tool/s.

Edit: - Stupid me just realised this may be a bit difficult as it's still attached to the wheel. May work if it was the hub only.

Last edited:

Knuckles

Lives under a bridge
Going to come across as flippant, but bin it and lace in a hope, any hope. They're practically bullet proof, but can be completely stripped by hand, and reassembled with nothing more specific than an appropriately sized socket, but 9 times out of 10, with a lump of wood, on the tray of a Ute, in a city lane way.

Only being partially facetious.

Last edited:

Knuckles

Lives under a bridge
Don't heat, you will more than likely warp the alloy seat before you get enough temperature into hardened steel race. Similar goes for cutting, but you have the double jeopardy of over heating the seat, and/or scoring it with a high speed rotary tool.

Ultra Lord

Hurts. Requires Money. And is nerdy.
You dont want to get heat into the race, and the aluminium shell will expand long before the steel race and will require much less heat.

If it was an inner race stuck on an aluminium shaft yeah, heat wont help.

Your other post is bang on though.

Last edited: