Collapsible Rake Hoe

bikerpete

Likes Bikes
I've just built a small collapsible rake hoe to carry on the bike and attend to those minor maintenance issues that one sees when riding. I rarely get back to deal with them if I have to walk back in carrying a rake hoe and saw, but if I carry something with me it often only takes a few minutes to solve a problem that left alone will only get bigger.

P2131448.JPGP2131449.JPG

I'm just using an off-the-shelf head at present, but am working on a 4 sided rake/hoe/digger. If there's enough interest I might get a bunch of heads laser cut and do a small production run.

Folded length is 450mm, assembled it is 1200mm. The handle is 28mm dia aluminium. The "spike" you can see out the top of the handle is flexible cable, with a stop on the end that retains the nut and all the parts in one bundle when folded, nothing to drop or lose.

The whole lot is held together with a cable up the middle. One wing nut at the top tightens the whole thing. Takes just seconds to assemble and dismantle and is reasonably solid for maintenance tasks. I certainly wouldn't consider it a replacement for a standard McLeod rake/hoe or a mattock though! It's intended to be used for cleaning up drains, scraping off debris and minor de-cupping etc.

Any interest?

bikerpete

Likes Bikes
The Trail Boss looks interesting, but a bit of a different intent - to replace regular rigid tools. It's price is waaay above what I had in mind. I haven't costed it out at all yet, but I was thinking under $100 for sure. It probably comes down to how quickly I can machine the end fitting in the handle and swage up the cables.

My idea is a a lightweight tool just for lightweight maintenance. It's super quick to assemble and light but not for heavy duty trail construction.

Here's a pic. of the lines I'm thinking for the head. This is very "conceptual" and still needs detailing and refining. Rather like a McLeod, but I'd like to make better use of the ends, hence the little edge for something a bit more like a mattock. Tossing around ideas for the other end, nothing decided yet. I'd get it laser cut out of good quality high carbon steel. Any suggestions for head design gratefully received.
Hoe head.JPG

Plankosaurus

Spongeplank Dalepantski
What if you gave the head the ability to tighten on a 90deg angle and have a rounded edge on the other side for shoveling? Much like the rest of it, it wouldn't really be a replacement for the real deal but it'll move dirt a lot easier than the rakehoe. If you made the end of the shaft square rather than rounded with a slot running between the 2 positions, you could simply have the cable attached to a bolt on the head and quickly swap between positions when needed.

bikerpete

Likes Bikes
I'd vaguely thought about doing a shovel setup, I'll have to give it more thought I can see.
I'm not quite sure I fully understand what you are trying to describe, but get the gist of it. I can think of a couple of ways of achieving it. I'll mull it over.

bikerpete

Likes Bikes
Revision 2

How about this:
RakeHoeR2.JPG

It's about 200mm x 120 mm and weighs about 450gm. A Mcleod Rakehoe is 280 x 210. The smaller size seems better suited to a lightweight tool.

By using a quick pin (spring loaded ball in the end retains it) to catch the cable eye it'll be easy to swap from hoe to shovel. Could also develop other heads like the American one.

I've got a price for 2mm hardened and tempered steel and it's looking pretty good, although I'd probably need orders for 10 or 20 to go ahead with a sheet of that. I'll work out costs for the rest when I get time, although the materials cost is minimal, it's really got more to do with how quick they are to assemble.

WillR

Likes Dirt
Looking good!, Can I suggest that the 'shovel' handle position shouldnt be parallel with the tool head, but rather at an angle (maybe 20 degrees? depends on the length of the handle you intend to attach) so you can get into a comfortable work position.
sorry if i mis read your plans. I really like the concept, trail boss looks well made but very expensive.

bikerpete

Likes Bikes
I think you mean like a normal shovel handle, sort of angled up from the plane of the blade? I guess I could arrange that but I sort of thought the shovel was fairly secondary to the rakehoe and went for the cheaper easier option. Canting the handle up would add more of a protrusion to make slipping it in your backpack harder too, presently it's all close to level with the handle diameter.

I'll look at it, but probbably not spend much time on it - I see the shovel as a bit of a "free bonus steak knife", so as long as it works in a pinch that 's good enough. I might not be a typical user though. Remember it's only 120 mm wide and 100mm in front of the socket, that's not much bigger than your hand, so you're not exactly going to be digging the Suez Canal with it!

I'd be interested to get an idea of what people would really pay for this device. I'm keen to do some small production of them, but if it's really not going to cover my time I'll just make one or two for me and my mates and call it quits.

Last edited:

poita

Likes Dirt
I'd buy one, i agree with your sentiment on the angled shovel head. If you want that angle, get a real shovel. I'd probably pay up to $100, and I might buy one or two for mates.

Halo1

Likes Bikes and Dirt
For light trail work a simple rake hoe would be great. I would probably pay up to $100 as well. I would not bother with trying to make it a digging tool unless you could make a decent handle or else I think it would break too easily.

Ridenparadise

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Strength and durability are going to be a big ask for all but the lightest work unfortunately. I read somewhere the commercial alternatives in the USA don't last too well. We chew through tools even if they get repaired. The forces are just so great and any linkages and joins have to be bulletproof.

It is a big problem getting to those areas needing maintenance when you have other trailcare objectives. The idea is great and only someone with genuine commitment to trailcare would make one, so all the best.

markb84

Likes Dirt
I'd be interested. In my view for a quick tool it wouldn't need to be full length when built, therefore a 2 piece would suffice. Most important it would have to be strong and easy to fit in a decent size camelbak. A mini firerake basically. Cleaning out drains, creating drains, light raking of soil, light digging and shaping. That would make it really effective as a trail maintainers Swiss Army knife.

bikerpete

Likes Bikes
OK, looks like there's interest enough to spend the money on the materials and laser cutting. I expect it will come in under $100 no problems, I always get accused of under-pricing myself, so why change now!

I might post back with some head options (or I might just go with what I like) looking for feedback. I've got a fair idea of what works in our local conditions, but others areas might be better with other designs?

bikerpete

Likes Bikes
Prototype 2

Here are some pics of revision 2. The head is just 3mm mild steel for now, and it hasn't got the steel insert at the bottom of the handle yet.
P2191453.JPGP2191455.JPGP2191456.JPGP2191457.JPGP2191458.JPG

The shallow notch on the short edge is sharpened for cutting roots, the main edge is sharpened, but not to a fine edge. I'm fairly happy with it, although I'm considering another bit of a point on the other short edge to chip into harder ground before using the main hoe. The downside is that doing so reduces the working width of the main hoe.

I gave it a quick spray with whatever paint I had handy. I'd never produce one in black as it'd get way to hot in the sun, probably yellow or red or orange or something so it's less likely to get left behind.

Handle length is 1200mm assembled, 450mm packed. Head is 125 x 210mm. Overall packed length is also 450mm

If anyone felt like measuring their backpacks (Camelback etc) and letting me know the internal width and height I'll tweak the length to fit the typical sizes. I built this to fit easily in a Da Kine Heli-pack, in fact I usually carry it on the outside under the shovel/snowboard stow flap.

I'll try to make a youtube clip showing the assemble/disassemble. I just timed it at 20 seconds assemble, 10 seconds disassemble.

bikerpete

Likes Bikes
First batch under construction

Well I've bitten the bullet and am making a start on a first batch of 10 "Packhoes". I've been using mine fair bit (getting ready for the nationals round here in Bright) and it seems to be standing up well.

They will be with the head as shown below. The shallow V is sharpened for cutting roots and chipping harder ground. The main hoe edge is also sharpened.

They are being cut from 3mm thick 350mpa steel (regular Mcleod rakehoes are 2.5mm, not sure what grade). 350 mpa is the grade typically used for truck chassis, highly stressed structures etc. It is considerably tougher than mild steel. My present one is mild steel and so far so good except the sharp edges are a little bit too easy to dull.

PackHoe sm.jpg

I'll also be getting some Mattock type heads cut (below), 5mm 350 mpa steel, sharpened on 3 sides. These are interchangeable with the regular head simply by loosening the wing nut, pulling a lynch pin and swapping the heads. These are for breaking up harder ground, but remember this is a lightweight tool and isn't intended to replace "real" tools for heavy digging.
Mattock Head sm.jpg

When collapsed it is 207mm wide and 430mm long. It fits in a Camelback Mule pack so should fit in most small packs, or it could probably sit under the bungy straps if the really small hydration packs (I haven't tried that yet). Extended it is about 1140mm long. The handle is powder coated with a dark grey textured finish (it's not a hammertone, more like tiny pimples over the surface).

It's important to keep in mind these are not a replacement for regular rakehoes and mattocks. If you start really beating it into the ground I fully expect it will fail (my guess is the aluminium handle will start to crack at the joins). I've done some pretty solid digging with it and it's showing no sign of failing, but I do keep in mind that it's intended for track renovation, not full on building.

I've started on a webpage for them, I'll post the address when it's up and running.

I'm going to start out at $80 each, plus $25 for the mattock head, plus postage. I haven't checked postage costs yet. PM me is probably best if you want to reserve yourself one, I'll check back here too, but PM's will likely get added to the order list first.

Halo1

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I predict that these things are going to be collectors items for my grandkids to flog off on Antiques Roadshow:clock: So you might need to add a serial number to the first batch.

PM sent to bags one.

Genius Josh

Likes Dirt
Very tidy and with the longer handle looks way more efficient than kicking or one of those tiny shovel chipping hoe things that come from army disposals. The screw collar on those is a fairly simple solid design allowing for the 2 heads to be rotated 90 degrees for shovel, chipping hoe, very light mattock and a spike which bends way to easy to be of any use. with a longer handle and better quality heads they might be worth a look if further revisions are in the pipeline.
Something like

http://www.wellingtonsurplus.com.au/listProduct/MILITARIA/FOLDING+SHOVELS

With a longer handle would be awesome

Last edited:

bikerpete

Likes Bikes
Webpage for the Packhoe

I've started making a webpage for the Packhoe. It's very much in it's infancy, has no photos (edit: now has some CAD model pictures - will get photos when I can) or anything yet, but it does let you order through Paypal or contact me by email.
packhoe.com

I've also made yet another change to the mattock type head, it's now got a rake along one of the long edges. I find this tool my main one now, it rakes, chips, smooths and digs. I find the variety of edges make it more useful than the classic rakehoe style. Out of 4mm steel it's only about 100gm heavier than the rakehoe. The small chisel end is great for digging out rocks, breaking up hard lumps and ridges and so on. It's so useful I might even have to make a full size, heavy duty, rigid handled version!

Last edited: