Comfortable all rounder helmet?

maxwolfie

under-the-radar comedian
Howdy, I've done a bit of search on helmets here, but could not find anything that helped me specifically

I'm looking for a comfy helmet that has good protection and airflow for long trails, and I'm not sure whether to go for the "skate park" style or an XC helmet.. I'm looking for something that has maximum protection, price is not that much of an issue I suppose.

I've read that the skate park/bmx style ones get pretty uncomfortable and hot after a while. Is this true?

Not sure what to get - My riding is predominately long distance trails

$@NT@

Squid
i wouldn't get a skate park helmet

For most races (if thats what you do) they dont allow them, they dont offer the same amout of protection either.

maxwolfie

under-the-radar comedian
Oh, really? I would have figured that the "bowl" design of the bmx lid would have offered more even protection around the head. Oh well.

Any recommendations for an XC helmet then? Nothing too flash

BM Epic

Eats Squid
Yes i am looking at the moment for a new helmet,you said money is not an issue ,therefore i would say giro-150 dollars onwards,limar-100 onwards and met at about 100 onwards,these seem to be top line helmets for xc and trail riding offering venting,adjustability and comfort.
good luck!

AngoXC

Wheel size expert
If your on the cheap, I was shoe shopping in Rebel Sport the other day and saw a (now what was it?) Netti Cyclone? Had that nice *woosh* swept back look and had pleanty of holes in it for ones sweaty head. $79 as well! Bargain!

LIAM?!

Banned
IF price isnt a problem you should just skip straight to a full face, major protection there...!

maxwolfie

under-the-radar comedian
Full face for XC? :confused:

With the XC helmets...do they all have that aerodynamic "sleek" look about them?

Last edited:

Marco

Likes Dirt
don't know much about xc helmets but dirt / park lids offer the most protection shortof a fullface and the can be comfortable but after an hour or two you can forget about comfort or protection because they get that hot and gross

anthonyma

Likes Dirt
I recently picked up a Specialized Instinct and it is close to the shape of the Giro Xen or Fox Flux. It provides a little more coverage than a typical XC / road helmet. Cooling is pretty good (much better than any DJ / skate lid you will find). The pics on www.specialized.com are not exactly flattering so don't take them as a guide. RRP is around $150.

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
If your just doing trail riding then a standard XC helmet should do the trick. Something like a TEC if your after something relatively cheap, or a Giro E2 or MET 5th Element if you've got a bit more cash to spare.

If you think you need a bit more protection then you could go a Fox Flux or Mace NOS but I think if your going to do that you might as well get something like the MET Parachute or the Casco Viper MX which are full face helmets with removable chin guards. Just a note re the MET Parachute and the Casco, they aren't Australian Standards compliant so aren't available in Australia so you will have to order them from overseas. This doesn't mean that they are bad helmets just that they haven't undergone the Australian Standards testing procedure, see here http://forums.farkin.net/showthread.php?t=62846&highlight=tec+helmet

alpinestar12

Likes Bikes and Dirt
giro xen. dunno if they still make em but they looked like the shiz.

I was told that the Xen is not sold in australia. I would def. recommend a XC helmet over a dirt lid, and maybe an "all mountain" helmet such as a specialized instinct or fox flux would be the go.

Regan of Gong

Likes Dirt
Mace do a similar All Mountain helmet, it goes for around $80. Full face MET parachute would work, but you'll have trouble finding one,