Commencal supreme VIP - crank spindle issue.

taitt

Likes Dirt
Currently in the process of building a commencal supreme VIP and am having an issue finding the right length for the crank spindle.

It's a large frame with a 68mm bottom bracket width. Anyone with experience building have any idea? Or how I can measure this?

Cheers.

taitt

Likes Dirt
External bb. Probably hussefelt for now.

Lg+1 chainguide and a 36t taco if that makes any difference.

Sean

Likes Bikes and Dirt
If you know the bottom bracket shell dia. then how is finding the correct length crank spindle challenging? I don't see a problem here...? Not trying to be a smartass, but just trying to understand.

taitt

Likes Dirt
I purchased a raceface evolve dh crankset. X type 68/73mm bottom bracket which I assumed would fit. The crank arm spindle overhangs about 3 cm from the bottom bracket cup, which means if the non drive side crank is in its proper position, the chainring is 3cm out from the taco and chainguide.

Therefore I assume I need a shorter spindle, or is there another way to fix this that I haven't thought of.

philw86

Likes Bikes
I purchased a raceface evolve dh crankset. X type 68/73mm bottom bracket which I assumed would fit. The crank arm spindle overhangs about 3 cm from the bottom bracket cup, which means if the non drive side crank is in its proper position, the chainring is 3cm out from the taco and chainguide.

Therefore I assume I need a shorter spindle, or is there another way to fix this that I haven't thought of.
I would take pictures of what you have. Older Commencals used some funky BB setups that don't usually end up working well with external bearing type cranksets.

For example... 68/73mm BB shell and 150mm rear hub spacing gives you a very mismatched chainline, and causes issues with the frame/guide setup. What is your rear hub size?

The RIDE DH cranks are the next closest thing to the Evolve DH cranks...make sure your BB spacer setup and RF spindle setup is correct. From there, your guide should be spaced out with the included washers between the backplate and ISCG mounting surface (tabs on frame or adapter plate).

Cheers,
philip @ theHive/e*thirteen

taitt

Likes Dirt
I would take pictures of what you have. Older Commencals used some funky BB setups that don't usually end up working well with external bearing type cranksets.

For example... 68/73mm BB shell and 150mm rear hub spacing gives you a very mismatched chainline, and causes issues with the frame/guide setup. What is your rear hub size?

The RIDE DH cranks are the next closest thing to the Evolve DH cranks...make sure your BB spacer setup and RF spindle setup is correct. From there, your guide should be spaced out with the included washers between the backplate and ISCG mounting surface (tabs on frame or adapter plate).

Cheers,
philip @ theHive/e*thirteen
Rear hub size is 135mm spacing. Ive got two washers between the backplate and the ISCG, is that right?

Attached photo is the non-drive side. Bottom bracket needs one more spacer I believe but apart from that, its still a mile out?
Crank.JPG

beardi

Likes Dirt
Looks to me like you've purchased and 83mm DH crankset and it's too wide for your 68/73 bb....no solution for that except a different frame or a different crankset.

taitt

Likes Dirt
Looks to me like you've purchased and 83mm DH crankset and it's too wide for your 68/73 bb....no solution for that except a different frame or a different crankset.
Yeah, I thought so. If I were to buy a 68/73mm crankset, that should do the job? Is that right?

Last edited:

beardi

Likes Dirt
Correct. The crank spindle will be for 73mm. If your frame is 68mm then you'll need 2x2.5mm spacers on the drive side and 1x2.5mm spacer on the non-drive side. This fills out the space and makes the fit nice and snug.
Good luck, if you're still having trouble then more pics and info might be needed.
Cheers

philw86

Likes Bikes
This is correct. You've got the Mini Supreme. An 83mm crankset shouldn't be too hard to find a new home for. Any 68/73mm crankset should work out as far as spacing goes.

If you had the full 8" DH Supreme (by chance) you would have been all set. In 2007/2008 that rig used a 73mm BB shell and 150mm rear end...usually fixed by a shimmed up 83mm crankset.

Cheers,
pw

rone

Eats Squid
I have the same setup on a Demo 9. I use the FSA BB-9550 MTB Quad mega exo bb bearings. They are much wider and space out the gap.

Attachments