Comments and suggestions

thecat

NSWMTB, Central Tableland MBC
Hey all getting a lot of good feed back from the little questionnaire included in the champs entry from, big thanks for taking the time and filling it out

Thought I'd open it up to a bit of discussion and give a bit of feed back on the comments so far.

Looks like on the whole people are pretty happy with the state series as a whole. The main points I'm seeing so far are

1. More shuttle buses.
I've said it before, I'll say it again. Shuttles are the bane of my life. Sure we'd all like to get more runs in but it comes down to what are we prepared to pay. With each bus/driver costing about $1000 a day and then there's trailers on top off that it comes down to what the club can afford.
Each club hires as many as they think they're going to be able to afford going on current entry numbers so any more means a price rise in entries
So how much would you pay if extra buses were included?

2. More Cash Prizes
Again this comes down to Funds. Only so much in means only so much out. At the moment there is very little in the way of cash sponsorship. Most of our sponsors very generously donate product for prizes, hopefully any one that bags some stash is greatful enough to send the sponsor and thank you email.

3.Better Tracks
Where are they? remembering they have to be legal, be able to cope with 2wd all weather access and parking and have some one willing to organise the race there.

4.Seeding runs for everyone
Considering the backlash against Steves plan to do this at Del Rio I was surprised at how many times this popped up.
I have another idea. Scrap qualifying for elite and U19 altogether. Everyone races for their categories placing and then the top 50 times from across the board get a second run in a champions champion league. This means u15 to supermasters if you're good enough to have a race time in the top 50 you get a second run. Anyone qualifying from expert or sport would have to move up next race or loose points.

5.Bring back coffs
I don't think anyone is arguing this but getting the road usable and parking sorted is the key

6.Lower entry fees
Seems to be much the same people who want more buses... Again it comes down to budget. No club should have to run a race at a loss (I know CTMBC have done our arse on races in the past).

7 better festival vibe/bands
Check our Newtons Nations:cool:
and again it comes down to budget. Not many bands play for free though admittedly we had a couple of local bands set up at the 2006 Lithgow national which was cool so it probably wouldn't hurt asking around. Having someone who knows what they are talking about and willing to do the organising would help too.

8. bring back day licenses
Ain't going to happen for all the reasons argued in other threads.

anyway feel free to discuss

Last edited:

Wayno

I've got Gravity on my side
Awesome work Flynny. Wasn't expecting the quizz when I registered but it was a great idea.
As a previous organiser everything you have said is spot on.
One more thing on the last point, Day licence should never ever be at a State or National event if only for the insurance reasons, and besides which numbers have not dropped due to this rule but instead grown, I believe it is a mute point to argue against.

thecat

Awesome work Flynny. Wasn't expecting the quizz when I registered but it was a great idea.
Cheers Wayne.

The original reason behind the quiz was so we could get some concrete figures on accommodation and spending habits to take to local sponsors, councils, tourism boards and say "this is what a round will bring to your area, any chance of chipping in some $$$ to make it work"

scblack

Leucocholic
The only one I will comment on is the Cash Prizes point.

I do not see it at all necessary for MTB.

The winning riders are generally sponsored so the cash to them is not necessary as such.

Everyone of course wants some extra cash, but I do not see how it is in any way boosting the sport. My preference would be to see the cash amounts utilised in some way to support EVERYONE. Not sure what that could be though.

Maybe produce a t-shirt from these funds, to be given to each rider entry, and sold for a low cost to spectators. Something of a momento of the event. I always got a training singlet, or polo shirt included in my fees for Rugby Union and happily wore them all year, so something like that would be good.

Something to benefit everyone, rather than the one or two winners would be my preference.:)

wsmtbdhvp

NSWMTB, Western Sydney MTB
Strange so little comment so far, any way, in some other states you pay a fee to ride in a DH race and if you want to ride the the cash classes you pay more, that pays for the 2nd run and the cash prize which is determined by the number of entries.

CRIK

NSWMTB
I've been keeping an eye on this thread to see what people would say to these suggestions/comments or what other people would add. But at Steve said, it's been very quiet.

I would like to give my thoughts particularly on the seeding runs for everyone. Why does everyone want to seed? My son who races U15's is happy with having only one run and that being his race run. He would most likely get a time to qualify for the champions run but as he said, why would he want to back up for another race run when there's no real benefit for him? And I must agree.

I would not like to see race fees increase just so some people get another race run.

Most of the U19's I've spoken to are happy with the races the way they are, especially as it is good preparation for those who do the Nationals. Even at National level, everyone except Elites & U19's only get one race run (and it costs more).

I think the State Series for the past few years has been great. Why can't we just continue on the way it is? But decide at the beginning of the series if it will be qualifying or seeding for U19 & Elite and stick with that for the whole series.

I'd like to hear what other people think though.

Sorry to ramble on but it costs us a lot of money to do the State series and I felt I needed to make my opinion known. :)

Downhill Domination

Captyvate Media
I think the series was run pretty smooth from a riders and spectators point of view.
HOWEVER, I do believe that day liscenes should be accepted. I don't have a bloody clue why they aren't, but it seems a little tight and restrictive.
Some riders will only want to race a couple of races a year, or maybe just their one local state round, how do you expect these people to attend, when they have to pay $60 to get a full year license they will only use once?
I think that's where you will be loosing some numbers. I know if I wanted to race a single round and was expected to pay an additional $60 I just wouldn't bother.
Just the way I see it, I know you guys must have some reasoning behind it though.

Maybe if we had some late arvo/night entertainment (movie screened, forum, meet and greet, sales/information tent, bon-fire) aswell as a small BBQ or light dinner. Just throwing around ideas here.
I remember a couple of years back when Seaton's video was screened at Del Rio, was pretty cool to see, but obviously this could be hard depending on the venue.

Last edited:

thecat

HOWEVER, I do believe that day liscenes should be accepted. I don't have a bloody clue why they aren't, but it seems a little tight and restrictive.
Been over this a thousand times but to follow on from what Wayno said

1. A day license gives you, the rider, next to no insurance, not even ambo cover.

2. A day license does nothing for the clubs that bust their butt to put these on except give them extra paper work to chase up.

3. Few other sports in Australia allows random joes to rock up to state competition and have a go. Hell my young bloke can't even play local club soccor unless he is fully signed up to an affiliated club

4. Full benefits should only be experienced by full members.

Some riders will only want to race a couple of races a year, or maybe just their one local state round, how do you expect these people to attend,
We don't, we expect casual riders to ride club rounds. Again to support the clubs that support the sport

I think that's where you will be loosing some numbers.

Numbers have increased and races gone a lot smoother since the no day license rule has been introduced.

So summing up

Advantages seen in the last 2 years of not having DLs at State level

* Better Insurance levels for riders
* Better for the hosting clubs
* Smoother races as nearly all racers are experience at club level
* so Far increased entries and smoother races.

Disadvantages
* A couple of riders grizzle...

it's kind of hard to argue against the decision based on that.

tc2233

Likes Dirt
1. More shuttle buses.
I've said it before, I'll say it again. Shuttles are the bane of my life. Sure we'd all like to get more runs in but it comes down to what are we prepared to pay. With each bus/driver costing about $1000 a day and then there's trailers on top off that it comes down to what the club can afford.
Each club hires as many as they think they're going to be able to afford going on current entry numbers so any more means a price rise in entries
So how much would you pay if extra buses were included?
We need more shuttles especially at Lithgow. Im willing to pay an extra $20 so that im not waiting in the line for 40 mins. Tracks like Del-Rio dont really need more buses as everyone is tired from climbing with their bikes to the start of the track.

Also with shuttles. Im not sure what happens with the trailers but every race a wheel seems to fall off or an axle snaps in half. So could we fix up the trailers so they get us through saturday practice at least.

Other than the shuttles everything seems to be running pretty good.