Project Commonwealth Games 2026 cancelled.

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
Well done Vic, gone from headline.. Victoria wins gold hosting the Commonwealth Games, cementing their self as the sporting capital of Australia, to the sporting 'short notice' cancel state of Australia.

We'll take the GP back now thanks. Not that I watch Motorsport anyway.

Labcanary

One potato, two potato, click
Victoria has just cancelled the 2026 Comm Games. No MTB in Ballarat/Creswick.
Are they going to complete the trails anyway?

I think the Vic gov are still going to bank roll sporting facility upgrades.
They didn't want to take from the state coffers to pay for the Comm Games. Which is fair enough, gotta know when to fold them.
I don't imagine tourism money would go back into public funding?

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
gotta know when to fold them.
The Gov should do their costing before announcing fluff, then embarrassingly cancelling.

A couple of states showing interest but the SA Premier point blank said this morning that SA had no interest, no way the $1.2b benefit was worth the $2-4b outlay.

Great to hear the trails are still going ahead, at least something good happened.

2023-06-28_09-05-48_0-1536x862.jpg

Last edited:

Ackland

chats d'élevage
A couple of states showing interest but the SA Premier point blank said this morning that SA had no interest, no way the $1.2b benefit was worth the $2-4b outlay.
I am very surprised that SportsBro Private School Union Boss Mali didn't rush in to claim it whether we could deliver or not...

IIRC the terrible cost benefit analysis of these events is why there are very few cities even considering olympic bids these days.

Condensed build schedules for a bunch of redundant infrastructure

Labcanary

One potato, two potato, click
It was only 2 months ago that Vic celebrated winning the CG's.

The Gov should do their costing before announcing fluff, then embarrassingly cancelling.

Great to hear the trails are still going ahead, at least something good happened.

View attachment 401236
I don't know enough about the whole process to go defending, or denouncing, anybody. Better that he called it quits before too much was spent. He would probably prefer to look the fool than go dipping into money set aside for hospitals, education, etc and be labelled a monster.
There's likely a bigger picture we aren't privvy to, that the media omits for higher shock value.

Jabubu

let you google that for me
Slum city....
Perhaps they should use it as a pilot based on the Viennese rental model.. Not framing it as welfare housing would be a good start. The mindset around renting and public housing is as toxic as cycling on roads in this country!

mike14

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Slum city....
I live in the former Comms Games village from 2006 in Melbourne (Parkville). It's a mix of private, social and community housing, plus an aged care hospital comprising of houses, townhouses and low/mid-rise apartments. Probably short a few amenities you'd really want for a enclave of it's size, but nowhere near what you could call a slum city and I doubt it would be difficult for WA to setup something similiar

Ackland

chats d'élevage
I live in the former Comms Games village from 2006 in Melbourne (Parkville). It's a mix of private, social and community housing, plus an aged care hospital comprising of houses, townhouses and low/mid-rise apartments. Probably short a few amenities you'd really want for a enclave of it's size, but nowhere near what you could call a slum city and I doubt it would be difficult for WA to setup something similiar
there's your solution....
reclaim the former comms games village

ashes_mtb

Has preferences
The houses built when Perth hosted in 1962 are still highly sought after.

ForkinGreat

Knows his Brassica oleracea
Victoria has just cancelled the 2026 Comm Games. No MTB in Ballarat/Creswick.
Good. these kind of "games", comm/olympic/whatever are just a giant financial black hole, IMO. I don't believe that "tourism" or a few stadiums or an athlete village becoming housing even begins to cover any of that.
Most of the costs talked about in the articles below are 'official' estimates, prior to the event. :oops: