commuter - disc brake upgrade?

whatever13

Likes Bikes
Hi all, currently commuting on a entry level road bike, with tektro brakes (probably 105 level?) which I upgraded to koolstop salmon pads. It's in pretty good condition but the brakes have never been powerful - I have ultegra on my other bike and they have loads more power in all conditions.

Previously I have stuck to fair weather commuting but over the past few months I have been getting out in all weather. The problem is I am really not happy with the performance of the brakes in the wet, they have always taken a bit of manhandling even in the dry (as you would expect from brakes like these - and that's fine), but when riding in the rain they just seem to give up. A bit of drizzle or a wet road is ok, but when it's properly raining I wrap my hands around the whole lever and pull like hell and still it's a long slow stop. The pads are properly adjusted and I clean the rims and pads as required (can't do much in the middle of a rainstorm!). I'm not locking up the tyres (which are 23c btw).

I ride defensively and take all this into account so I've not had any major incidents but it's the unexpected that bothers me. I don't want to stop riding in the wet as frankly I'd probably never get out in with the weather we've had lately.

I have the opportunity to upgrade to a cyclocross bike with Avid BB7s for a changeover of probably $500-700 (including fitting some decent 28c tyres) once I sell my bike but I want to make sure that the disc brakes really will make a big difference in proper rain. (I also have to convince the finance minister - but that's a separate battle)

My question (after all that) is, for those of you on cable disc brakes (and say 28c+ tyres) how much better than entry level road brakes are they in the wet?

willsy01

Eats Squid
I would say infinitely better. Heat dissipation and water clearing would be the big draw cards. Avid BB7s are what you want.

Propagate

Likes Dirt
I was in the same boat, I stopped riding my entry level roadie as although I enjoyed the riding, the brakes were a big issue for me. I just got a CX bike with BB5 cable disc brakes and it is perfect for me. I out 28mm gatorskins on for commuting and love it, I can switch the cx Reyes back on and use it for long, different rides where theres plenty of road work but also being a cx can get off road too. Love it.

I've since put new calipers on the old roadie meche? or something? They were $25 from wiggle ANC in my opinion are outstanding. Not as good as the BB5s but way better than the shimano 105s that were on it, and at $25 for front and back including pads was a chance worth taking.

wombat

Lives in a hole
Have you tried some of the new compound shoes that come with Ultegra brakes now? Apparently they're much better in the wet.

whatever13

Likes Bikes
Thanks guys. Missed the deal I was chasing so I'll be waiting a little longer to upgrade but that info is still really useful.

I did a back to back test between my commuter's brakes and the ultegras on my other roadie this arvo. Worlds apart in power and feel which it what i thought. I think the stopping distance was pretty similar but the commuter required way more effort. I think they are pretty rubbish even as road bike brakes go even after adjustment and sanding the pads etc. Can't think of much else to do at the moment.

That volagi is an amazing looking bike - looks lighter than 8.5.

Crittski

Likes Dirt
cheers, I haven't ridden it in the wet yet, but will soon - I just got sick of crappy rim brakes when I am used to XTR hydraulics!