Commuter tyres?

mr636

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Hi all,

I have just bought a Scott Metrix commuter bike, and the tyres are a bit trashed.
I want something that will not let me down on my Sydney city commute. Dont mind a bit of weight for better puncture resistance etc.
Currently have Continental Ultra sport tyres (700x28c)

I have ridden MTBs for every, but dont know the first thing about road set ups.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Also, massive noob question- do i need a different pump to inflate road tyres??
My MTB one seems maxed at 65 psi, and these tyres recommend 110 psi?!

Thanks!!

SlowManiac

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Schwalbe Marathon Plus are considered to be the most puncture resistant - quite heavy though and not slick. People have reported 10 000km without a puncture.

I use Continental Sport Contact - a bit quicker but less puncture resistant. I got 3000km before my first puncture.

You may well need a different pump, as you say I think road pumps are rated to higher pressure.

Ozkaban

Likes Dirt
Check out maxxis refuse too. Very puncture resistant.

I wouldn't pump 28mm tyres up to 110psi. Probably more like 80-90. You'll get better rolling resistance than you currently but they won't be rock hard to ride on.

Get yourself a floor pump. Not too expensive (I bought an awesome Silca brand one for about $60 from the UK). They make it very easy to get the tyres up to pressure and very simple to check. Well worth it in my opinion.

wombat

Lives in a hole
Schwalbe Marathon Plus are considered to be the most puncture resistant - quite heavy though and not slick. People have reported 10 000km without a puncture.
Better option would be the durano plus. Lighter, faster, rides a shitload better but still offers a tonne more protection than just about everything else.

mr636

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Thanks a heap guys.

So in relation to emergency repairs, how do people fix them? Do you have a high PSI hand pump??
Normal hand pump? CO2 non sense...
I commute to work, and just want to have my shit together in the event of a flat.

SlowManiac

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I carry a road specific hand pump and a spare tube.

My bike has Schrader valves so I could pump tyre up at a servo too.

mimps

Likes Dirt
I recently put Panaracer Ribmo 700cx35 on my bike and i am loving them. no puncture yet, ride well at about 80psi.

mr636

Likes Bikes and Dirt
So does the 28c etc refer to the width??
Could i run a slightly wider tyre than 28c i have now?

SlowManiac

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Yep 28 is the width. You should certainly be able to run fatter tyres, just check how much clearance you have. I run 37 - nice and comfy!

John U

MTB Precision
Topeak morph pump is much more user friendly than a lot of others. I wouldn't use anything else. Worth checking them out.

slowmick

38-39"
Topeak Mountain Morph's are awesome. Boys i ride with wait by the side of the trail for me to turn up to use the pump (yes, i am slow). Excellent for the passion fingured galoot. No more tearing valves out of tubes.

John U

MTB Precision
The mini or the regular?
I've got the Mountain Morph. I think the Road Morph is just a smaller version of the same thing. They are probably both as functional as each other. The MM would deliver larger volumes of air I guess.

One thing to be careful of is if you intend on mounting it with the rack supplied ensure the hose end fittings are securely fastened. I had some these parts come undone and fall off. I am still trying to source spares. It didn't stop me buying another one though. I carry it in a backpack now.

frensham

Likes Dirt
I recently put Panaracer Ribmo 700cx35 on my bike and i am loving them. no puncture yet, ride well at about 80psi.
I have these in the 26" version on my commuter. 1 puncture in 2 years of five days a week commuting. Saved 500 g over the equivalent Schwalbe....

crank1979

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I've only had one puncture in 500km with the Schwalbe Marathon Plus tyres. They are definitely more puncture resistant than Maxxis Re-fuse and road tubeless offerings, but they are heavy!

I'd like to know how the Continental SuperSport Plus tyres compare to the Schwalbe Marathon Plus tyres. Has anyone tried them?