Commuting Etiquette

dirt lover

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I have recently started commuting to uni to try and save a bit of cash as well as to get fitter. I've been riding downhill with a bit of XC for a while so I'm not slow but I'm definitely not up to the pace of proper roadies. I jumped onto a guys wheel yesterday just after an intersection who I could keep up with when drafting off of him/with someone to chase. I know when riding in a bunch it's appropriate to share time on the front so everyone suffers but there is no way I could have kept the same pace if I had been leading, he was riding roughly 5km/hr faster than I normally do by myself on the same section. I didn't want to pull in front just to slow him down but is just sitting on his wheel for the 6km that we went the same way ok or still a dick move?

ForkinGreat

Knows his Brassica oleracea
hard to tell sometimes... most commuting cyclists I've encountered power along and only want to get where they are going ASAP.

if the other guy is moving 5+km/hr faster, then he might think you are just holding him back. you can always ask... :)

Last edited:

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
I used to wonder this as well as I commuted in Syd. After recently starting up my commuting again and tailing a guy yesterday (after I got the jump at the lights and he powered off in front to be in the lead but couldn't retain his acceleration so I caught up to him and drafted for about 2kms to make him pay for his sins!) I started wondering about this as well.

WarbyD

Likes Dirt
I used to be concerned about the same thing and deliberately avoid drafting just in case the guy in front didn't like it... Now, if I can be bothered I'll jump on and enjoy the tow while it lasts but try to get a read on how the person in front feels about it.. If they look back and see I'm there at any stage but don't seem bothered then I'll keep on trucking.. (and if they are in their own world and don't even seem to notice you're there... then who cares, haha)

Most guys who don't want you there will either slow down, speed up or make some noise at you if they're not happy about it. If they wave me to the front (which also happens.. and is fair enough) then even if I don't think I'm able to maintain the same pace they did I'll still give it my best for as long as I can to return the favour.

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
I've had dudes tack on behind me and it's not bothered me as it didn't alter my ride at all. I have had a few who refused to take the lead so I let them know they weren't welcome.

I can't understand why people would get annoyed at some one drafting them but I do respect their decision in the end.

Calvin27

Eats Squid
I can't understand why people would get annoyed at some one drafting them but I do respect their decision in the end.
Rear-enders. They are not nice in a car, but on a bike it gets much worse. My mate ha a rear end collision and the girl was shocked at the bill for his rear wheel replacement. Luckily she paid up, but it is a consideration and most of the time when people get nervous, it's because they usually have some sort of flash bike.

I've never had a rear end but a few times have had people overshoot and pull to the side of me. I tend to brake hard and last minute 9pretty much like I ride mtb) and this takes people by surprise - so I am extra careful to scan for leeches (not that I am leading that much anyway haha).

These roadies should all get disc brakes I tells ya.

If i see someone upfront and I think i can catch em I will try to , and then go past them if I catch them but the whole drafting thing makes no sense to me when I'm out there to get fitter.

same applies for light bikes, I'm riding an old steel frame thing, weighs more than my dually, its irrelevant, it makes me fitter. Happy with a lighter mtb though more, more riding = more fun, on the roadie more riding = more zzzzzzz.

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
http://www.globalcyclingnetwork.com/videos/sec-how-to/how-to-get-rid-of-wheelsuckers/

I got a good tow one morning recently, they helped me set a bunch of commuting PRs :heh: There were two of them taking turns between them to lead, but I was flat out just hanging on.

Had a chat in a slower section to thank them for the tow and mention I would have tried to lead if I thought for a second I could do it... All good.

Roadie ettiquette is weird... Playing the clueless mountain biker helps sometimes.

John U

MTB Precision
It's probably fair and safer just to let them know you're there if you can. Even if you're not going to have a go at leading if could save you from a face full of snot. I think generally it'd be appreciated by the leader.

scblack

Leucocholic
I've been on both sides. If I do it behind someone, I make sure I punch on in the front for a while. In swapping with some guys, I have set some of my best PR times.

As a lead rider as someone drafts behind me, well that can be just a pain in the arse. It makes you nervous, and be extra careful with braking etc. Seeing as 99.9% of my road riding is alone I don't like someone hanging off my wheel. It does not really affect my ride at all, as I was riding that section alone regardless, but it can be annoying. Makes me uneasy.

No real hate for someone who hangs on my wheel, but can be annoying.

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie
It's commuting, not a peloton of two. Chasing seconds should not be important.

I find it weird to invade someone's space for any length of time - without engaging verbally with them "keep up the good work, ok if I sit here for a while?".

Jubas

Likes Dirt
I'm happy for someone to jump onto my wheel if i'm riding solo as long as they're not 2cm behind and I don't have to start making proper calls. i.e. as long as they're sensible. No need to take a turn or say hi/thanks etc. If i'm struggling into a headwind, an offer to come to the front would be nice, but i'm not going to complain if you don't - extra training!

However, if I'm riding at the back of a bunch and you want to draft us, come up and ask, then stay a little further back. Bunches have rules (guidelines? ha) for stuff like changing lanes which you can stuff up if you're super close and glued onto our rear wheels. If you don't know how bunches ride (calling, changing lanes, rotating at the front etc), you can cause confusion and increase the danger a bit. Most bunches are fine - just stay far enough off the back so that it's clear you're not a part of the bunch itself

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
Yeah, I won't draft if I don't feel I can take the lead. I also don't sit right on some one's wheel, I'm usually just at the point where if I back off any further I'll lose the slipstream anyway.

My commute is only about 12km as well with relatively few long straights so the opportunity for long draft runs is constrained. Syd was different and I was on a single speed street/DJ bike. I took more pleasure in passing folk than I did in drafting!

thepotatokid

Likes Dirt
I think when a rider drafts you, after you've overtaken them, then that is a bit annoying, but it doesn't really interfere with my ride. I guess that makes up for the times when I've been totally fkd and some kind soul has helped drag me home.

I do hate it when you overtake some numpty, and they half wheel behind you and then they overtake you again. It's almost like they want you to think that you took them by surprise, and that they need to come back past you again to make them feel whole again.

aanon

Likes Dirt
I commute every day and can't see the point sitting on someone's wheel. it ain't a race.
If they are slower over take.
Same pace? sit back 20 metres or so.
faster, try to keep up and get dusted.
That's what I do but each to their own.

Pastavore

Eats Squid
I have zero issues with people drafting me. Why would you expect them to take a turn? If they weren't there, you would just need to keep riding hard anyway?

But yes, it is nice if people say g'day so you know they are there.

And you should NEVER jump into or on the back of a working bunch without asking.

pistonbroke

Eats Squid
It's commuting. TAKE NO PRISONERS!!!! There are no rules. Drafting, is fine. As is doping and ignoring road signals and common sense. Do whatever it takes to get to the top.

bikeyoulongtime

Likes Dirt
I don't really care if people draft me, if i get sick of towing I just slow down and pull to the left until the people behind get the drift. I've had a few informal helpful groups form on the way to work and back (~15-18km), most people seem cool with leading for a bit. There are a few folks on one route i've noticed that *everyone* blasts pass in order to avoid towing... seems they're well identified wheel suckers. Moral of the tale? don't worry too much, catch a draft when you can, help out when you can. have fun, play safe :)

Rob_74

Likes Dirt
I commute daily and often sit on someones wheel and occasionally have people draft off me. Along the route i travel in Melbourne it seems very common and never seen anyone overly worried. Most riders travelling at speed seem to be well aware if they pick up someone drafting them and are pretty good at hand signals to indicate slower riders, walkers etc. Just dont draft me as i always forget to do that...